Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-03-2018, 02:38   #16
rom

Boat: Lagoon 440
Re: Catamaran Living

Quote:
Originally Posted by Palarran View Post
I think the Bahia 46 from Fountaine Pajot is a good choice. You can get them relatively cheaply and then do a major refit. They sail very nicely and IMO look very sexy. Maybe you will have $300k into the boat in the end and it will look great and be mechanically sound.

FWIW, I think it's worth buying a used boat and then working on it as you go for the first two years. You will learn every nook and cranny of the boat.
I would second those advices.

I think you cannot go wrong with a lagoon 380 but I would rather cross oceans on a bahia 46 for sure ! Simply because size & speed matters there. Plus it is the sexiest production boat ever made IMO too. Alternatively FP lavezzi (beware osmosis problems) or FP belize. A lagoon 410 would work too.

Those a good boats that can be purchase for way less than 200 kEUR these days.
rom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2018, 04:23   #17

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by JKDB702 View Post

1) What is the best size cat to live and sail on? ....
"Best" in what way? What is your intended use?

And, what is your budget?

Most any relatively late model cat is plenty comfy to live on. The accomodation space on most 35-45' cats really isnt much different. My little Wildcat 35 for example is very comfortable as a live aboard boat. We have 3 guests showing up today...plenty of room for all of us.

The downsides to smaller cats are less load carrying capacity and less boat speed potential. For cruising use, in both monos and multis, 40 something feet seems to be a good compromise size, big enough to get more load carrying capacity (important for cruising) and a bit more speed potential ("potential" is the key word...push the load carrying capacity and you will lose that edge). The upside is cost: lower purchase price, lower insurance, lower fess (for everything thats per foot...dockage, yard space, etc...).
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2018, 04:36   #18

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by rom View Post
I would second those advices.

I think you cannot go wrong with a lagoon 380 but I would rather cross oceans on a bahia 46 for sure ! Simply because size & speed matters there. Plus it is the sexiest production boat ever made IMO too. Alternatively FP lavezzi (beware osmosis problems) or FP belize. A lagoon 410 would work too.

Those a good boats that can be purchase for way less than 200 kEUR these days.
Agree, Ive sailed a lot on the L38 and Bahia 46 and some on the Belize, all good boats...just comes down to intended use and budget.

The L38 I think is a great buy now, a friend got one in very good condtion a couple of years ago for $160K. Good boat, Ive crossed the Carib basin in one and would happily cross oceans in one.
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2018, 06:37   #19

Check out the U tubes by Catamaran Impi

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCIy...Uhlfkd34f8FrEg

These guys have been sailing their Lagoon around the world for last 6 years.
Bean Counter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2018, 06:45   #20

My 1986 Catalac will be for sale soon. She has 20HP Yamaha and New sails, Engel Fridge and 2 burner stove. Also huge custom solar arch with 450 Watts of solar, new (never used composting head) new dodger windows, windlass and more. Located in Fort Myers....not yet on the market but welcome to view
Imoya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2018, 06:55   #21

Boat: Currently in between

Quote:
Originally Posted by rabbi View Post
I don't see the point of going electric on a 42ft cat. Its a cost factor even used, its heavy, especially for newbies its easier to overload and break something, and really most of us are in bad need of the excercise
Agree with you but ours came with em installed so I wasn't going to take them off.

Interestingly when the winch starts sounding "different" I would stop and finish with the hand crank. I was a nervous Nellie about all that power and was very conservative in the beginning.

Now that I am more trusting I am probably entering the danger zone.
Old 06-03-2018, 11:46   #22

We are a family of five and comfort is more important than anything else other than safety and sea worthiness. We opted for a leopard 58. Most would call us crazy but long stops being comfortable is more important than getting a thrill while sailing. Researched a bunch and feel that leopard has something special in that they build thier boats for thier own charter company and must build them to get the best resale and minimim maintenance. Annoyed while I wait for it but happy with the selection.
TXnewbie is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
catamaran