Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-07-2017, 18:36   #31

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33
Re: Catamaran Sailing techniques?

Quote:
Originally Posted by thinwater View Post
You get the same feed back on larger cats. In light to moderate conditions, it may be very subtle--you have to listen closely. In really strong conditions, even big cats come alive, and the feedback can be very similar. The real reason to learn on small cats is to have it really beaten into your mind, what it feels like just before it goes pear-shaped, so you know to avoid that! I've gotten my cruising cat on one hull before, and I didn't like it. I was singlehanding in blustery conditions, had it on autopilot and got distracted, and felt the boat start to lean. Oh ****. I put it back down and reefed.
Much, much, more suttle than beach cats...watch the hull wakes (windward vs leeward), etc.

Never flown a hull on a larger cat...hope not to.
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
catamaran, sail, sailing