Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-06-2018, 13:14   #121
cruiser

Boat: Hitchhiker, Catamaran, 40'
Re: Catamaran Sinking

I am going to chime in here because I truly believe that my catamaran can not sink. It is plywood and timber construction with boxed crossbeams. I don't carry a life raft and like to remind myself at sea that I will not sink. It brings me great comfort. I am not sure exactly which parts would submerge should both hulls flood but I think it would float fairly high in the bows and maybe to deck level in the sterns. I would also like to mention that it will be for sale soon...
Thumbs Up is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 17-06-2018, 04:31   #122

Boat: Pescott Whitehaven 11.7

My take on this is that it is very much up to both the design and the materials. My boat is made of western red cedar and foam and has 7 watertight compartments in each hull. I also have some evidence that it is unsinkable to some degree as the sister ship was flipped in the Whitsundays and floated happily for a week before they got it out--it's sailing fine these days My guess is that I could rip out the bottom of one hull and still be afloat--however as someone said, it would not be comfortable, nor even habitable for long.

Whether production boats have as much watertight compartments I don't know and obviously different building materials have different flotation characteristics
Morph is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 18-06-2018, 07:29   #123

Boat: Leopard 39

Whenever a vessel is lost, the temptation is to convince ourselves why this could never happen to OUR vessel; and when it's a multihull that was lost, voices seem to chime in to condemn multihulls in a way that never seems to happen when a monohull sinks. Why can't we support each other?
danielamartindm is offline   Reply With Quote Reply

Tags
catamaran