Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-07-2011, 10:02   #16

Boat: M/V Carquinez Coot
Re: Catamaran Size for a Family of Four?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArcticTom View Post
I would love to learn about those good reasons why monos Are better than cats
I said there are good reasons there are more monohulls than catamarans. I did NOT say monohulls are better than catamarans. Let's not go "there" again.
Old 04-07-2011, 11:05   #17

Boat: 50' Cat (someday) ok maybe 45' Cat

from one desert dweller to another with the same goal I wish you the very best of luck in your endeavor!
Old 04-07-2011, 11:33   #18

Boat: Still a dreamer....
I am sorry, did not want to start a mono/catfight. Forgive me.
ArcticTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 11:44   #19

Boat: 30ft Catalac 900 "Rubessa"

LOL, ignore the 'monohull ludites'. There are also more multistory apartments than there are large detached houses in the world, does that mean apartments are better?

Those wanting a 'pure' sailing experience can argue a mono is better but people like yourself who want to cruise in comfort know what's best for them.
Old 04-07-2011, 12:36   #20

I second with the post of imagine. Really nicely written.

Not familiar with the Mahe but the Lagoon is plenty big enough. Equivalent space to about a 50 foot mono-hull and a much better platform (you have 2 hulls AND a bridge deck). I have no idea what Armagh is talking about (no offense intended).

The Lagoons don't (or didn't) come with a cockpit hardcover or windscreen. You will have to make up a frame for this and it isn't as easy as a mono-hull dodger. Go take a tour of these or other cats of this size. You will be surprised.
Kapena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 12:44   #21

Boat: 30ft Catalac 900 "Rubessa"

Good point re. the cockpit cover. The larger Lagoons have what is best described as a 'flybridge' raised up from the main cockpit. This is very close to the boom and therefore having any kind of weather protection, sea or sun, is not an easy fit.

I know a guy who skippers a 440 and it's his main bugbear, the slightly smaller 380 series has a more conventional offset cockpit steering position that offers better protection from weather and doesn't mean the captain is seperated from the rest of the crew.
Old 04-07-2011, 15:12   #22

Boat: Lavezzi 40, Pourpre

9 years is a long time to plan, it sounds like you are on the right track.
We have 3 girls and choose the 4 cabin Lavezzi so everyone can have their own cabin.
I assume you are going to have a budget limit so that may have some influence on what you buy.
It is hard to say what boats will cost in 9 years so you may have to wait and see what the market is like before you can make a final decision.
Also for your size family a Seawind 1000 may be another option, they will possibly be made in Asia in 9 years time so could be very affordable.
Enjoy your research I hope it all goes well for you.
Dragon Lady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 16:46   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kapena View Post
I second with the post of imagine. Really nicely written.

edit......... I have no idea what Armagh is talking about (no offense intended). ........edit
Drat! And English is supposed to be my first language! No offence taken...

Not sure which bit was confusing. If it was re:full time cruising with teenagers, then firstly I agree that they can become very mature and get good life skills. All very well. But a university courses and professional careers are quite competitive to enter, and best chances are after a solid formal education. That's not so easy to do at the highest level when cruising. For my daughters I wanted them to have their own choice, not limit them in any way at all. If you take them cruising all their high school years you can unintentionally be restricting their choices, perhaps for your own selfish goals (OK, don't get riled - not trying to offend!). IF its clear that your kids will not be going down the 'professional' path, and have trade/artisan skills instead, then cruising though the teenage years could be fine.

I'm not asking anyone to agree, just to consider the whole family's needs and take a longer perspective. There's lots of life left to live after the kids leave school, and 'trying some boats for size/fit' in the school years makes sense to me. Some of both rather than 'either/or'.
Morrissey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2011, 04:58   #24
Eternal Member

Boat: Simpson, Catamaran, 46ft. IMAGINE

We all make decisions in life we have to live with. A formal education is not for everyone. Some people like working with their hands, or outside, and not in an office. I have worked with my hands, and my back. Doing quite well, and actually better than many of my college educated friends. Of course some are doing better, but there is always some one richer, stronger, and prettier. It's about living life, and feeling confined.......i2f
imagine2frolic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2011, 18:46   #25
Marine Service Provider

Have a read of this site:

s/v Ocelot Cruising the World
ausaviator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 09:45   #26

Boat: Catamaran Cruisers Aqua Cruiser 41
Re: Catamaran Size for a Family of Four ?

With your long time horizon the used market for Catamarans is only going to get better as they have increased in popularity over the years for good reasons.

I think the bigger boat ya can get the better off you will be. I'd say maybe a bigger but older boat might be better than a newer and smaller one. In any case if you buy used and get a good deal you can usually dump it back on the market without a major loss and might even come out even or make a few bucks.

A 36 foot anything is pretty small for 4 people long-term. Anything can be done. I remember my whole family so proud of the used 21 foot Venture Sailboat my Dad had saved up for. We sailed to Catalina from San Pedro, I think 7 of us. There was plenty of room, at least I thought that at the time back in the 1970s.

Now? I want a 50 foot class boat for just me and my wife and infant son. It is all what you are used to I guess and that changes over time.

From a modern perspective I think something more like 42 ft and up for a Cat would be better.

I too plan to semi-retire in a number of years and live partly on a nice boat. I don't think there is a thing in the world wrong with planning early, especially when it is enjoyable to do so.
dc9loser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011, 09:00   #27

Hate to mention it but sea sickness is a major issue for a lot of families. Got to get everyone out there on a rough'ish day and see how people hold up. Once that is sorted then you can think about monohulls vs cats.
Milestone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011, 14:02   #28

Boat: Lagoon380 Comfort#637
Send a message via Skype™ to careka

We did look at Lipari, Lavezzi but wife wanted Lagoon, so now we are in Kiel germany, on our way home to Norway. 3 cab 380 Lagoon, me and 3 girls. wife and 2 girls
we in stb hull the to girls in the other. and it works like a dream.
kids love it. a lot better than al the years we did in a 41 fot mono.
They are now 13 and 17 years old. our oldest is 18+ and dident want to come. but she is calling on the phone every day asking how it is.

Lagoon 380 # 637.

Lagoon380 Careka
careka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011, 14:16   #29

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 43 & S2 6.9

I would say my wife and I are in a similiar position. We want to go cruising in the future and are working towards that. In fact, we know that we want to spend 8 months a year cruising and 4 months in Vermont for snowmobile season. Whether we are making real progress or not is hard to say, but I feel were on the way with the home we just purchased in VT

Anyway, we own a boat in Sunsail and while it is not what we would want to cruise on, it is giving us an opportunity to get more sailing time in then we might otherwise. We hope to start over in the program when our boat is out of it. Depending on where things stand, we could get a boat that we would want to cruise on and 5 years later when it leaves the program set sail.

So that might be something to consider. If nothing else, if you can afford the airfare to the BVI or where ever you could get a boat in charter, it could give you a decent way to get a boat that suits you. Worst case if you use as much time as possible, you can get a lot of sailing in (you can even use owners time for lessons). Best case, you can get a boat that you'd be comfortable on later and after its out of charter, set sail. In either case, by the time the boat leaves charter, it will be 50% paid off with the charter fees paying 25% of that.

Either way, I agree with previous posts that you should be focusing more on newer boats since things will change by the time you are ready to buy.
maytrix is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
catamaran, family