Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-11-2020, 03:03   #271

Boat: LAGOON 400
Re: Catamaran tacking angles , really that bad???

i finally learned how to do sub 90 tacks. Stretch the jib with halyard. Surprised how easy sailing at 30 app is now. Took a while... Not that we sailed upwind much so far.
arsenelupiga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-11-2020, 03:10   #272

Yeah will always make a difference. Tightening the halyard will flatten the sail and pull the draft forward - so long as the sail is still fresh and still has it's shape, it will improve your upwind pointing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by arsenelupiga View Post
i finally learned how to do sub 90 tacks. Stretch the jib with halyard. Surprised how easy sailing at 30 app is now. Took a while... Not that we sailed upwind much so far.
B23iL23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2020, 01:00   #273

so, lets see these monohullers can produce angle like this with 2.5 T loaded L 400
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2020-12-01_18-58-21.jpg
Views:	105
Size:	34.3 KB
ID:	227956  
Old 01-12-2020, 01:39   #274

almost forgot : i can now in 10 kn manage 3.2kn VMG. Use screecher running inside shrouds. I was hoping for more but looks like designer did not take this option into account. Maybe next screecher. I think boat can do close to 4 kn VMG.
Old 01-12-2020, 02:06   #275
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64

Quote:
almost forgot : i can now in 10 kn manage 3.2kn VMG. Use screecher running inside shrouds. I was hoping for more but looks like designer did not take this option into account. Maybe next screecher. I think boat can do close to 4 kn VMG.
I understand how great it is to get the performance out of a boat that it has in it’s design but don’t be too jubilant about “let’s see how monohulls do that” because even though cats have improved much, a monohull will still beat that by double performance. In you example above, your vmg confirms the projected polar diagram but as you can see in the attachments, a 40’ monohull will do 6 knots there. Also, your wind angle can not outperform a monohull of similar length/ age and that monohull will always be a lot faster at those angles.

We are more like a cat performance wise and with 64’ length we must work hard to beat these Beneteau’s that are smaller. I can barely catch the 47’

Reaching and broad reaching are the wind angles to rule.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	E0D757A2-154F-4FDA-B4BF-197324FA21EA.jpeg
Views:	222
Size:	246.0 KB
ID:	227957   Click image for larger version

Name:	FA1F3C5D-F612-4FAC-A11F-F4EA0F4BEE7F.jpeg
Views:	118
Size:	153.3 KB
ID:	227958  

s/v Jedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2020, 02:26   #276

Quote:
Originally Posted by s/v Jedi View Post
I understand how great it is to get the performance out of a boat that it has in it’s design but don’t be too jubilant about “let’s see how monohulls do that” because even though cats have improved much, a monohull will still beat that by double performance. In you example above, your vmg confirms the projected polar diagram but as you can see in the attachments, a 40’ monohull will do 6 knots there. Also, your wind angle can not outperform a monohull of similar length/ age and that monohull will always be a lot faster at those angles.

We are more like a cat performance wise and with 64’ length we must work hard to beat these Beneteau’s that are smaller. I can barely catch the 47’

Reaching and broad reaching are the wind angles to rule.

ey, you read it wrong. I said 3.2 VMG meaning this is speed directly against wind. Actually I do 5 kn at 34 app. This mono does 4 kn VMG so with better sail I hope can do it too. And then do not forget we are liveabords and weight that comes with it. When wind pips up, and flat water, our angles and speed get better than this mono actually. In 20 kn they are left behind

These polars of L 400, i have no idea what they mean, we beat them loaded on average by 2 kn.
Old 01-12-2020, 05:53   #277

Boat: Lagoon 380

Also easily beat our polars, folding props, coppercoat, squaretop main with carbon, but loaded for living onboard
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_4511.jpg
Views:	87
Size:	275.2 KB
ID:	227961   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4393.jpg
Views:	82
Size:	412.8 KB
ID:	227962  

Name:	Lagoon-380-AFT.jpg
Views:	134
Size:	131.1 KB
ID:	227963  
django37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2020, 05:55   #278

Boat: Lagoon 380

Numbers
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_2516.jpg
Views:	112
Size:	424.9 KB
ID:	227964   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4335.jpg
Views:	86
Size:	422.8 KB
ID:	227965  

django37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2020, 07:22   #279
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64

Quote:
ey, you read it wrong. I said 3.2 VMG meaning this is speed directly against wind. Actually I do 5 kn at 34 app. This mono does 4 kn VMG so with better sail I hope can do it too. And then do not forget we are liveabords and weight that comes with it. When wind pips up, and flat water, our angles and speed get better than this mono actually. In 20 kn they are left behind

These polars of L 400, i have no idea what they mean, we beat them loaded on average by 2 kn.
Something must be wrong then because here are the vmg’s from the polars, with the L400 at 1.6kts and the F40 4.5kts which is 2.8x as fast...
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	5687EBF9-80FB-4121-B246-F66070059801.jpeg
Views:	76
Size:	118.8 KB
ID:	227967   Click image for larger version

Name:	80C4D991-4822-43FA-B617-1D7F3523D0C1.jpeg
Views:	74
Size:	115.2 KB
ID:	227968  

s/v Jedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2020, 08:36   #280

Location: On Vessel WINGS, wherever there's an ocean, currently in Mexico
Boat: Serendipity 43
Send a message via AIM to wingssail Send a message via Skype™ to wingssail

Quote:

Well, Arsenlupia, that is very good performance you are getting from your Lagoon 400. Looking at the Polars Jedi provided for your boat, in 10 knots of true wind, your boat is projected to attain about 2.5 knots VMG and about 4.5knots of boat speed at a TWA of 50deg, meaning tacking angles of 100deg.

the polar for the first 40.7, a very high perfromance monohull, shows projected VMG in 10 kts true of about 4.5kts, at about 42 degrees TWA, with a boat speed of about 6.5 knots and tacking through 84 degrees.

It is reasonable to note that the 40.7 would not be doing this fully loaded, and I would be astounded if you could attain the numbers you gave with 2.5 tons of gear, catamarans are not noted for great load carrying ability or such surperb performance far exceeding the polar diagrams for the vessel.

My own monohull, a 41 year old 43' race boat has a polar diagram which shows VMG of 4.8 knots and a boat speed of 6.68 in 10kts of true wind, at an angle of 42 degrees. Loaded with livaboard equipment of approximately 2200lbs over standard boat condition we cannot attain those numbers but we come very close.

I have never seen a cruising oriented catamaran come anywhere close to sailing with us upwind and I've raced against several with serious racers on board.

Django's Polar diagram shows similar numbers to yours, 2.5kts VMG at 50+ degrees TWA in 10 knots of wind.

So your performance and his are quite remarkable. I won't rule out that you have discovered the secret of making your boat go fast but there are other possibilities, one of which is strong favorable current.
Old 01-12-2020, 11:33   #281

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingssail View Post
Well, Arsenlupia, that is very good performance you are getting from your Lagoon 400. Looking at the Polars Jedi provided for your boat, in 10 knots of true wind, your boat is projected to attain about 2.5 knots VMG and about 4.5knots of boat speed at a TWA of 50deg, meaning tacking angles of 100deg.

the polar for the first 40.7, a very high perfromance monohull, shows projected VMG in 10 kts true of about 4.5kts, at about 42 degrees TWA, with a boat speed of about 6.5 knots and tacking through 84 degrees.

It is reasonable to note that the 40.7 would not be doing this fully loaded, and I would be astounded if you could attain the numbers you gave with 2.5 tons of gear, catamarans are not noted for great load carrying ability or such surperb performance far exceeding the polar diagrams for the vessel.

My own monohull, a 41 year old 43' race boat has a polar diagram which shows VMG of 4.8 knots and a boat speed of 6.68 in 10kts of true wind, at an angle of 42 degrees. Loaded with livaboard equipment of approximately 2200lbs over standard boat condition we cannot attain those numbers but we come very close.

I have never seen a cruising oriented catamaran come anywhere close to sailing with us upwind and I've raced against several with serious racers on board.

Django's Polar diagram shows similar numbers to yours, 2.5kts VMG at 50+ degrees TWA in 10 knots of wind.

So your performance and his are quite remarkable. I won't rule out that you have discovered the secret of making your boat go fast but there are other possibilities, one of which is strong favorable current.
you are right we had ~1 kn current in our direction in that pic. Still was impressed by angle myself. But we do sub 90 tacks with decent speed without current. Drifting is less than expected when one check details of track. I started from scratch regarding sail trim when purchased boat, and here and there discover new trick. This was now upwind as we are still in tropics and lots of light winds. Before we were able to make with standard jib and main 2.9 kn upwind, which is still better than polars. No I cant match Django numbers, although I trust they are legit. His main is larger than standard and carbon. Maybe my next main will be better... One can see stretching that is going on when upwind. I am happy for my routing purposes to use 3 kn for direct upwind route which is 72 nm in 24 hrs. Should be able to beat it most of time. As they say, it is the skipper that makes boat perform and not the other way around.
Old 01-12-2020, 11:50   #282

Quote:
Originally Posted by django37 View Post
Numbers
impressive ! using jib and main ?
Old 01-12-2020, 16:30   #283

Boat: Mumby 48

A few years back I sailed a lagoon 421 and the performance was as bad as described in the OP. sailing to windward was pretty much pointless.

On my mumby 48, in 15 knots true we’ll do 8.5knots at about 33° and tack through around 100°. Sails are a little flogged, so the numbers could be better, but it’s a good pace none the less.
JustMurph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2020, 17:06   #284

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustMurph View Post
A few years back I sailed a lagoon 421 and the performance was as bad as described in the OP. sailing to windward was pretty much pointless.

On my mumby 48, in 15 knots true we’ll do 8.5knots at about 33° and tack through around 100°. Sails are a little flogged, so the numbers could be better, but it’s a good pace none the less.
your VMG is 5.37 as per above. we do 6 kn at 30 app in 15 kn. Our VMG is 4.5 kn. This is 19% better. Not bad but not that great difference, given comfort penalty you had to take.
Old 01-12-2020, 17:19   #285

Boat: Outremer 55L

Quote:
your VMG is 5.37 as per above. we do 6 kn at 30 app in 15 kn. Our VMG is 4.5 kn. This is 19% better. Not bad but not that great difference, given comfort penalty you had to take.

I expect the more performant (and larger) boat will be able to maintain and extend that VMG differential as the wind and particularly seas pick up. Flat water performance is nice, but not that useful for estimating performance in rougher water.

Anyway, you show very good performance, nice.
fxykty is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
catamaran