Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-07-2020, 07:44   #16

Boat: Maine Cat 38
Re: Catamaran Ventilation Solutions?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chotu View Post
Any good in a blowing 30 knot rain?
You will want to pay attention to how water flows off the deck, through the trampoline and down the hull sides. Consider placing a rub rail or short brow above the portlight to reduce the chance of water running down the hull and in at the open portlight.

The ports on our boat are dry when the boat faces into the wind, and we open the port lights in strong wind without concern. However water can come in when crosswise to the wind, as in tied to a dock. On our boat one of those portlights is in the shower area, so ocassional rain intrusion collects happily in the shower basin.

Coincidently the water flowing off the forward bridge deck drains near these portlights. It is quite simple to catch rain water in a funnel hung from the trampoline with a hose running through the open port onto a jug.

Closing the portlights is part of our preflight checklist. We intend for the portlights to be closed while under way.
Sparx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2020, 09:54   #17

Nothing a cannonball or two wont fix
Grimgrak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2020, 10:09   #18

Boat: Seawind 1000xl

I just keep the hatch over my bunk open. If I am expecting rain I got one of these roof vent covers for an RV. Never bothered to completely install it I just jury rig some tie downs with bungee cord. It is a little bulky to store but does work to allow air flow and the price is right.

Also have one on my Sprinter van vent. Think I bought mine at Walmart but they are widely available.
tomfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2020, 16:47   #19

Boat: PDQ Capella 36

PDQs are a fail when it comes to keeping water away from hatches. When it rains.. the sidelights... and there’s eight... leak. A bit of water on deck eg overflowing a water fill... your bed is now wet. I have a Confessional story about losing a mattress that begins with a wash-the-decks passage and ... yup... a leaky hatch.
Our hatches have a stop where they are held like 1cm open, and this is as good as it gets in a rainstorm and... as mentioned... might leak.

We have a portable 12v fan and I am a a maniac about putting 12v in every room. Anyone who can recommend theirs? Mine - a caframo with no safety cage - moves a lot of air but the suction cup fails to hold on a vertical surface.
Svan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2020, 17:01   #20
smj

Boat: TRT 1200

Quote:
Originally Posted by Svan View Post
PDQs are a fail when it comes to keeping water away from hatches. When it rains.. the sidelights... and there’s eight... leak. A bit of water on deck eg overflowing a water fill... your bed is now wet. I have a Confessional story about losing a mattress that begins with a wash-the-decks passage and ... yup... a leaky hatch.
Our hatches have a stop where they are held like 1cm open, and this is as good as it gets in a rainstorm and... as mentioned... might leak.

We have a portable 12v fan and I am a a maniac about putting 12v in every room. Anyone who can recommend theirs? Mine - a caframo with no safety cage - moves a lot of air but the suction cup fails to hold on a vertical surface.

We owned a nearly 25 year old PDQ 36 and never had any problems.
I’m guessing your PDQ is 20+ years old? At what point do you stop blaming the factory and start either taking the blame yourself or possibly the previous owners? MAINTENANCE !
smj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2020, 17:14   #21

Boat: LAGOON 400

we have lewmar hatch wents on 4 hatches, and with door open, never mold issue.

In cabinets we get mold so we air them when air moisture below 50 %, less better.
arsenelupiga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2020, 18:33   #22

Boat: Dean 440 13.4m catamaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Svan View Post

we have these fans

https://www.whitworths.com.au/cafram...o-ii-fan-white

very quiet n very effective

cheers,

Tags
catamaran