Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 23-09-2006, 11:42   #16
CF Adviser

Boat: Boatless, for now, Cat enthusiast
cchesley --

I'm quit curious about how you're finding the Maine Cat 41. It was high on our list of possibles, but we ended up thinking that the open bridgedeck would be too cool and exposed for long-term cruising. What do you think?

ID

Observations are gold; hypotheses, silver; and conclusions, bronze.

Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote.--Ben Franklin

Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but not their own facts.--Daniel Patrick Moynihan
Intentional Drifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-2006, 15:02   #17
Marine Service Provider

Cats with boards generally sail a lot better than those without.

Just beceause you're going cruising is no reason to live with reduced performance.
GMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-2006, 15:10   #18

Boat: Maine Cat 41
At the risk of hijacking this thread further....
It's 52 degrees and raining here on the Maine coast. I'm barefoot, thinking about turning the heat down, while sitting on the bridgedeck of our boat. I was recently asked by a guest, what did they need to wear while sailing? Since April this year (and all thru the rainy month of June) my stock sailing outfit was slippers and a short sleeve shirt! I'm can sail regardless of the weather in total comfort. In fact, I'm thinking that this boat is really a very good cool weather boat. Good thing because we're on our way to the PNW this winter/next spring. Our Hurricane hydronic heating system keeps us very comfy!

I've been observing all the other boats coming and going today (surprising amount of traffic for this time of year) and everyone looks (is) cold and wet while dressed in foulies. I never wear foulies while sailing anymore. Just bought some for going ashore in the dinghy during inclement weather however.

The other nice thing is that while sailing in this kind of weather I'm not alone. I'm right with the rest of my crew/guests. They're not hanging 'inside' while I'm out driving. There is nothing else like this unless you want a big ole power boat.

I'm 200% sold on this boat as a great boat. Take a look at all those bimini enclosures popping up on cruising boats or even on sportfishing flybridges. Just because it's plastic doesn't mean it won't/can't provide protection. For that ultimate storm... well take off the plastic and struggle through it. It'll only be a couple bad days out of your cruising life. The other 99.99% of the time you'll be mostly feeling bad for the 'other' guys.

Yup, I'm biased.
cchesley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-2006, 17:14   #19
One of Those

Boat: Catalac 12M (sold)
I cant think of a single reason one would want a monohull over a modern catamaran. Slip width, maybe? Anything else?
Old 24-09-2006, 01:57   #20

Boat: Saint Francis 50 Sailing Catamaran
I'd rather be in a mono in extreme latitudes, the southern ocean, cape horn, that sort of thing.

Human history becomes more and more a race between education and catastrophe. -- HG Wells
RandyAbernethy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-2006, 02:35   #21
One of Those

oh, yeah I could see that. I made three trips to Ushuaia, and I'd rather be in a 220 ft. steel offshore survey vessel down there. Which is what I was in.
Old 24-09-2006, 05:29   #22
cruiser

Boat: Catalac Catamaran
As to extreme latitudes, there was a Catalac 12M near New Zealand during the 1979 fastnet race. That was the race that claimed so many lives, all in monohulls. The Catalac was damaged in the storm but the crew was perfectly fine when the rescue boats found them. I forgot where I read about it, but I imagine I could locate the article.

As to sailing a Cat with boards down. I'm afraid, I'm with Talbot on this one. First off, no boat sinks when sailing in perfect weather, it's when things get nasty that bad things happen. Many of the failures of Cats (admittedly in rough seas) document that the Cat tripped over it's boards and went over.

If hit by an extreme gust, boards dig in and the boat acts like a mono and leans, but without the righting momentum. Keels just slip and the cat remains upright.

Boards are great for going windward, but I can see the disadvantage of having them on a cruising Cat.

Rick in Florida
Tropic Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-2006, 05:40   #23
One of Those

you wouldnt just raise the boards when you grab your first reef or something similar?

I am interested in this topic because after everything I have read about catamarans here and elsewhere, the Gemini series still seems the best all around compromise for me.
Old 24-09-2006, 08:38   #24

Send a message via Skype™ to gosstyla
Quote:
Originally Posted by rickm505
Many of the failures of Cats (admittedly in rough seas) document that the Cat tripped over it's boards and went over.

If hit by an extreme gust, boards dig in and the boat acts like a mono and leans, but without the righting momentum. Keels just slip and the cat remains upright.
Those were probably racing. When cruising I think the best approach is, if you need the boards at all, have only the windward or up wave one down.

That way if the windward hull starts to rise there is no pivot and the boat should just slide. As to the up wave board that helps you grip the wave also without a pivot point for flipping.
gosstyla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-2006, 21:42   #25

Boat: Chris White A47 Mastfoil
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canibul
I cant think of a single reason one would want a monohull over a modern catamaran. Slip width, maybe? Anything else?
Just to start a controversy, how about "Pride of Ownership." As a monohull owner looking at a Cat I can't help but wonder how I'd feel returning home to typical production a Cat. When you look at the lines of a good looking monohull you get that feeling of "Pride of Ownership."

Do Cat's turn heads when entering a harbor?

Do the Cat owners feel that same pride from the aesthetics?

Take a look at:

http://www.australyachts.co.nz/image...hip/large1.jpg

and tell me if you could have the same love affair with a Cat?

OK, the gunboat is that sexy....

My other issue/question is about med mooring. I wonder if folks in the Med miss out on going to the quay because their isn't enough space to slide in. This was always an issue for my boat with a 16' beam. I suspect it's a lot worse at 20'- 25'. However, I do think it is mitigated with the ease of a set of davits and tender.

Ok, one more question. I noticed a lot of Cat owners would use an excessive amount of scope at anchor. I got away with 3-4X but talked to some cat owners that always used 5X and sometimes 10X scope.
This can cause some real problems in a tight anchorage.
Were they goofy or is there something about a cat that likes or needs longer scope. The only thing I could come us with is that they didn't surf with a lot of scope like my monohul so they let out way too much rode thinking it was safer.
Agility is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2006, 00:51   #26
One of Those

I like the look of a classic monohull, just like I like the look of a mint Ford Model T, or an antique biplane. Nostalgic, and an interesting antique, but I wouldnt choose to travel cross country in one.
Old 25-09-2006, 03:40   #27

Boat: Privilege 37
A lot of people like form over function - personally I like my comfort and prefer the internal looks of a cat over the internal looks of a mono. {sort of like a comparison between living in a penthouse or in a damp dark cave}

Most cats use a mix of chain and rope for their rode, and if they dont have enough chain, will naturally need a longer rode. I carry enough chain for my normal anchoring depth, but most cats even with a bridle will need more space than a mono due to lying at a different angle cause of the interaction of wind/current is different to a mono, and then there is the sailing around on the anchor (especially if your chain is light)
Old 25-09-2006, 06:11   #28
cruiser

Boat: Catalac Catamaran
It's not only racing cats

It's not only racing cats. Geminis have this problem with their boards down. Another one went over in sight of Jacksonville, FL this year in a squall. It does have a lot to do with the boat and with crew experience.

Yes, a well maintained mono is a joy to watch, but I'd rather be sailing my Cat.

Rick in Florida
Tropic Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2006, 07:37   #29
One of Those

This is all great stuff for me to learn, and more importantly, to understand.

So far I got reef early, and often. Now I understand a bit more about the use of the boards, other than sucking them up to beach the cat...

The Gemini boards are made to pivot up and back and are positively bouyant. That really appeals to the marine engineer in me.

One of the manufacturers makes a small cat with just one board, which is interesting. Would seem to simplify things in some regards, but possibly limit performance options in others..?
Old 25-09-2006, 15:57   #30

Boat: 50ft powercat, light,long and low powered
You won't find the pivoting board on the fast cats as you get to drag a big slot and a heap of water around. Not bad when hitting the bricks if done right though.

Dave
cat man do is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
New Zealand