Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-06-2022, 08:15   #46

Boat: Aloa 27
Re: Cats with Dagger Boards?

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulajayne View Post
That's exactly what Google Translate gives me, a cat with a dagger.
We French people say "drift" (dérive) because they are used to not drift. Understand who little, we say exactly the opposite of the desired effect...

I understand better why there are so many dyslexics speaking English!
Phil_Fr17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-06-2022, 22:13   #47

Boat: Having a Stealth X 51 built

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_S View Post
They are fast boats and can sail high but those numbers don't stack up. That would have you sailing at 15 or so apparent
Those were the numbers on the Raymarine displays. Take issue with the electronics if you wish...
markiobe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-06-2022, 22:35   #48

I was in the yard yesterday.

The boats are very well appointed but spartan, there is no fancy wood or superfluous detailing. Personally it's exactly our taste but clearly not for everyone. Think the exact opposite of a Privilege, similar quality but the focus is on totally different things. They aren't built as racers but a lot of them are cruiser-raced.

The attention to detail and quality of the build is frankly phenomenal. There are no headliners anywhere so all the structure is apparent and it's unlike anything I've ever seen in the marine industry, anywhere. Perfectly smooth and finished everywhere, it's a sight to behold. The quality of construction puts any volume manufacturer to shame.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tupaia View Post
Agree nice looking boat and a very competitive stripped out race boat but not sure it is robust enough to qualify as a long distance cruiser. Didn't WOW end up in La Reunion with destroyed chamfer panels after crossing the Indian Ocean.

Was this because of structural strength issues or cruising loads exceeding the design?
Wow had some cosmetic damage after being caught in a big storm with very bad seas. The builder flew out a couple of people to fix the problems once in port. All good now and amazing after sales service.

They are epoxy/foam/carbon built and are very strong. Nothing squeaks and they are rock solid. I was out the day before yesterday in an 12.6m iteration of the design (Wow is 13.8m) and we had significant swell with big wind chop and up to 25knts breeze. We raced various courses and pleasure sailed, the boat is amazingly stiff and sails incredibly well and comfortably.

Wow was an earlier iteration on the same build and some lessons were learned in the construction, as you would hope is always the case and much easier to execute with a smaller yard and production runs. I think 25 Stealths have been built and all are in great condition still.

For my cruising tastes (liveaboard and will eventually circumnavigate carrying about 1500kgs of stuff) the combination of boat and interaction with the team is second to none.
Old 29-06-2022, 03:13   #49

I love the Stealth, however, it somehow looks like the difference between the different sizes (12, 13, 14) is mostly in sugar scoop extension rather than the overall cat resizing. I could be wrong.
Giova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-2022, 10:43   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giova View Post
I love the Stealth, however, it somehow looks like the difference between the different sizes (12, 13, 14) is mostly in sugar scoop extension rather than the overall cat resizing. I could be wrong.
You're right in that the hulls are built in the same mould and are lengthened as required, however the beam is also different and the boats vary in internal layout as a function of the owner's wishes. Obviously the longer boats have more bridgedeck fore/aft length if the owner wishes; there appears to be some flexibility as to where the aft of the cockpit is positioned.
Old 29-06-2022, 14:17   #51

Boat: Outremer 55L

Quote:
Originally Posted by markiobe View Post
You're right in that the hulls are built in the same mould and are lengthened as required, however the beam is also different and the boats vary in internal layout as a function of the owner's wishes. Obviously the longer boats have more bridgedeck fore/aft length if the owner wishes; there appears to be some flexibility as to where the aft of the cockpit is positioned.

Is lengthening just in the sterns? The first generation Outremer 55 has the same hull lines as the Outremer 50 except for aft of the aft beam (the turn up is more gentle on the longer boat, with a bit more buoyancy to better support the engines). The bridgedeck lengths are the same.
fxykty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-2022, 23:24   #52

Quote:
Originally Posted by fxykty View Post
Is lengthening just in the sterns? The first generation Outremer 55 has the same hull lines as the Outremer 50 except for aft of the aft beam (the turn up is more gentle on the longer boat, with a bit more buoyancy to better support the engines). The bridgedeck lengths are the same.
In my understanding it depends on which boat; between the 12 and 13m models it's in the stern but to get to the 13.8m (Wow) they took the hulls from the mould, cut them in the middle (ish..) and added almost a metre so that the CLR, CB etc were appropriately aligned to ensure a balanced boat.

We were going to get a 13.2m, which is as long as they can get with the current moulds without cutting in the middle. However having now seen the prototype, unless something dramatic changes in the next month with sea trials, we're going with the new design, the Stealth X. That will be built initially on a jig as there are no moulds yet.
Old 30-06-2022, 03:30   #53

Boat: Schionning Waterline 1480

Quote:
Originally Posted by markiobe View Post
In my understanding it depends on which boat; between the 12 and 13m models it's in the stern but to get to the 13.8m (Wow) they took the hulls from the mould, cut them in the middle (ish..) and added almost a metre so that the CLR, CB etc were appropriately aligned to ensure a balanced boat.

We were going to get a 13.2m, which is as long as they can get with the current moulds without cutting in the middle. However having now seen the prototype, unless something dramatic changes in the next month with sea trials, we're going with the new design, the Stealth X. That will be built initially on a jig as there are no moulds yet.
X51, is that 51 foot?

Do you have any specs, should be a great boat.
Old 30-06-2022, 07:23   #54

I looked at a video on Facebook where the Stealth X is upside down. Maybe I am missing something but the hulls are no existing ... it looks like a giant hobie-cat
Giova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2022, 07:18   #55

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_S View Post
X51, is that 51 foot?

Do you have any specs, should be a great boat.
The actual length has yet to be fixed but will be ~50-51ft. Wrt specs it is likely to be ~4500kgs lightships, cabin-top stepped mast, single spreader rig, bridge deck clearance ~ 900cm. There are a bunch of innovations but the main one...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giova View Post
I looked at a video on Facebook where the Stealth X is upside down. Maybe I am missing something but the hulls are no existing ... it looks like a giant hobie-cat
... is that the hulls have no accommodation and are therefore much lower from keel-line to deck, will be ~1.4-5m. They are therefore extremely narrow (~1m), are pintailed and have very little rocker. They have mini-keels rather than boards, but should perform well to windward because of lack of rocker and relative lack of windage. Because of their inherent stiffness (no holes in the bulkheads for doors), there is no forebeam which helps to keep weight out of the ends. Foam/epoxy/ + ~20%carbon construction.

All the accommodation is on the bridge deck. The prototype (13.1m) is designed for a couple and is basically like a studio apartment. Ours is a bigger and will have 2 cabins (1 double and 1 single bunks) with a sofa bed possible so could sleep 6, but generally would have 2/3 aboard. It has tillers but also a fully functional inside nav/steerage station.

Overall the idea is to have an extremely easily driven boat focused on a cruising couple with very occasional guests. Tons of storage and as few as possible, simple systems with nothing push button. It will have no black nor grey water tanks (composting toilets) and no propane, everything electric with lots of solar and batteries plus hydrogenerator. It uses outboards with the seriously clever and well-proven system (on existing Stealths) of retracting them back into the hulls when not in use, leaving a very clean hull shape and allowing extremely efficient props as they have no need to feather etc..

Exciting, let see how the prototype sails! We may change our minds after that....
Old 10-07-2022, 21:46   #56

Quote:
Agree nice looking boat and a very competitive stripped out race boat but not sure it is robust enough to qualify as a long distance cruiser. Didn't WOW end up in La Reunion with destroyed chamfer panels after crossing the Indian Ocean.

Was this because of structural strength issues or cruising loads exceeding the design?
Is this right? I'd be interested in knowing more about it.
Bigmarv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2022, 00:25   #57

Boat: Shuttleworth Advantage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigmarv View Post
Is this right? I'd be interested in knowing more about it.
Click image for larger version

Name:	wow.jpg
Views:	81
Size:	83.4 KB
ID:	260816

It looked like some major damage to the chamfer panels (hull to bridge deck joints). It was in La Reunion for some considerable time on the hard. Most Indian ocean crossings involve storms and big seas, this is pretty normal.

Markiobe wrote - "Wow had some cosmetic damage after being caught in a big storm with very bad seas. The builder flew out a couple of people to fix the problems once in port. All good now and amazing after sales service."
Tupaia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2022, 01:16   #58

Quote:
Attachment 260816

It looked like some major damage to the chamfer panels (hull to bridge deck joints). It was in La Reunion for some considerable time on the hard. Most Indian ocean crossings involve storms and big seas, this is pretty normal.

Markiobe wrote - "Wow had some cosmetic damage after being caught in a big storm with very bad seas. The builder flew out a couple of people to fix the problems once in port. All good now and amazing after sales service."
Sounds like more than cosmetic. You mean the seas are pretty normal, or chamfer damage?
Old 11-07-2022, 03:32   #59

Boat: Shuttleworth Advantage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigmarv View Post
Sounds like more than cosmetic. You mean the seas are pretty normal, or chamfer damage?

Storms and big seas are pretty normal in the Indian Ocean.

We personally beat back 650Nm against 45plus knots to avoid a 75knt blow. Seas were horrible and it was not fun.
Tupaia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2022, 14:15   #60

I believe you. I thought you were saying the chamfer damage was normal! The idea that the hulls would fail from wave action is troubling, to me.

Tags
dagger boards