Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-01-2016, 15:00   #1
Tri

Centerboard up or down at anchor

While we are at anchor or moored I prefer to take the centerboard up in order not to drift over the anchor or bridle line and have that get tangled up behind the centerboard. The downside is that the boat with no rudder or centerboard down is moving around a lot.

With the centerboard down the boat also sails quite a bit and tends to hit the mooring ball frequently.

How do others, especially Tris, handle this?

Cheers
Achim
Tri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-2016, 15:22   #2
cruiser

Re: Centerboard up or down at anchor

I'm going to bet you aren't laying to a bridle.

Try a bridle in which each leg is equal to your boat's beam (2x beam overall)

That should stop it sailing around, at least that's been my experience
AD28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-2016, 15:29   #3
Tri

Like said above, I use a bridle. 10 meter long on each side. Beam is 8 meter. With the board and rudder down I still sail a lot and manage to hit the mooring ball quite frequently (no tide). :-)
Old 27-01-2016, 15:31   #4

Almost always up. The boat tends to point at the wind rather than the tide, which is usually more comfortable. We sometimes lift our rudders too, for the same reason.

A bridle reduces sailing around.

John McEnroe
44'cruisingcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-2016, 20:06   #5

Boat: 50' Herreshoff Ketch

we leave ours up, because if it's down it bangs.
autumnbreeze27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-2016, 20:33   #6
Writing Full-Time Since 2014

Boat: PDQ Altair, 32/34

Either board and rudder up, or board down. Yes, it will move side to side a little more, but it won't "sail" and thre will be no force to it. Keeping the board down will dampen the motion, but when it "sails" it will jerk the anchor more, which is what matters.

Yes, board up, rudder down will sail all over the place. Obvious, since you've moved the CLR way back.

Yes, the board may bang. Boat-specific, mine did not.

(I used to have a very light cat)
Old 28-01-2016, 01:25   #7

Board up, rudders down & a bridle. (if shallow, I might pull the rudders up also).
valhalla360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-01-2016, 07:37   #8
Retired musician & 50T master

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pisces 21

may I suggest a riding sail? aka Anchoring Sail. my boat, a mono with a big bimini, sailed terribly at anchor. the slightest breeze would run it all over, and strong wind set it to sailing so violently that it would eventually break the anchor out.

I got a riding sail for a couple hundred bucks, sets up in 5 minutes and holds the boat like a rock. the more wind the better the boat digs the anchor in. It made the total difference in my wife and me sleeping through the night rather than constant anchor watch.
Old 28-01-2016, 08:14   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

Where did you get the riding sail? All I have found so far is a delta thing that I don't want and a kit. But I have not as yet called a loft

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-01-2016, 09:24   #10
Tri

Thanks Symphonie, are you speaking of a yawl like sail or something special. I have considered a yawl like sail but in essence it will not work on the tipe of boat I have for a number of reasons but if you are talking about something different a foto would be highly appreciated. Thanks already.
Old 28-01-2016, 09:28   #11

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
Where did you get the riding sail? All I have found so far is a delta thing that I don't want and a kit. But I have not as yet called a loft

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
ha, sorry to tell you then - it's the Banner Bay FinDelta riding sail. for us it is perfect. very well constructed. my wife and I use it every time we anchor, even just for a snack or a swim. we've used it for 3 seasons already up to and including 35 kt winds. as soon as the hook is down we connect the main halyard to its headline, snap its tack shackle around the main traveler, the snap the two clews over the bimini and onto both stern mooring cleats. haul the halyard up and the boat instantly sits like a rock.

the seller makes them himself. very nice guy.
Old 28-01-2016, 09:31   #12

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tri View Post
Thanks Symphonie, are you speaking of a yawl like sail or something special. I have considered a yawl like sail but in essence it will not work on the tipe of boat I have for a number of reasons but if you are talking about something different a foto would be highly appreciated. Thanks already.
hi Tri,
yawls and ketches do have some ability to fly a steadying sail at anchor, but the FinDelta is different because it has triangular leg panels. much more positive pointing effect than a reefed mizzen.

I assume you could fly this FinDelta riding sail over your cockpit once you furl the main. the tack and clew/legs are totally adjustable by the amount of line used to secure them.
Old 28-01-2016, 09:50   #13
Tri

Hi Symphony,

thanks a lot. I just looked it up in the internet. It looks very interesting.

Does anybody else have any first hand practical experience with the Banner Bay FinDelta riding sail?
Old 28-01-2016, 10:35   #14

Boards up for peace and quiet.
cruisersfarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-01-2016, 10:38   #15

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Symphony View Post
ha, sorry to tell you then - it's the Banner Bay FinDelta riding sail. for us it is perfect. very well constructed. my wife and I use it every time we anchor, even just for a snack or a swim. we've used it for 3 seasons already up to and including 35 kt winds. as soon as the hook is down we connect the main halyard to its headline, snap its tack shackle around the main traveler, the snap the two clews over the bimini and onto both stern mooring cleats. haul the halyard up and the boat instantly sits like a rock.

the seller makes them himself. very nice guy.
Do understand you correctly? It is stationary fore and aft. Not a sail but a fin in effect? I was going to suggest a well reefed main with tight sheets. Leaving a board down sounds like a disaster even with a heavy anchor sally.
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
anchor, centerboard