Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-07-2018, 21:41   #16

Re: Change Color Of Hulls With Vinyl?

Quote:
Originally Posted by LagunaRed View Post
Our cat (Lagoon 52F) has a vinyl wrap on it. The wrap has pros and cons like anything else. It does look great but you need to take care of it by using vinyl cleaner to help keep it's luster.... Realistically, I think the wrap lasts about 3-4 years before it needs to be replaced. I'm debating what we're going to do about ours next year. You can see pictures on our website: www.sailsummerkai.com. Hope that helps.
Thanks for the pics and info. This is exactly what I was curious about. I've often lusted after the gun-metal grey Gunboat paint scheme. I think someone on this forum actually painted a Lagoon that grey and it made the boat look very bespoke for a Big 3 cat. Seems like a great way to try something adventurous like that and then go back to your white boat in 2-3 years if you aren't feeling it (or immediately since removing it is much easier than a repaint).

When a white boat is painted another color and then they want to go back to white, is it sanded down first or just painted over? When first painting white to grey, do they remove the gelcoat first? These are areas where I would think a wrap would have a huge edge as you basically have your boat in a protective sleeve.
Thalas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-07-2018, 22:50   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dooglas View Post
And you have to consider how long each alternative lasts, how soon it begins to deteriorate, and what it looks like when it begins to deteriorate. Also consider how much prep work must be done every time a shorter life alternative is redone.
Exactly. Polyurethane paint systems are usually getting a bit rough by 10 years or so. The prep to respray is huge. Takes weeks. And weeks more putting the boat back together after spraying.

There may also be environmental restrictions on where you can spray. In some places the boat must go in a shed, so the rig has to be removed.

A vinyl wrap can actually be done in a marina berth. Prep is pretty minimal by comparison.

Yes, the life is shorter, but in terms of bang for the buck I think vinyl looks pretty good.
44'cruisingcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-07-2018, 23:40   #18

Boat: Parkstone Bay 21

At the sailing Olympics in UK in 2012, the start boats (which were, with one single exception, all chartered commercial vessels) were all vinyl clad for uniformity. Part of the deal was that the Olympic wrap was removed afterwards. Pity: it'd be interesting to see how the stuff had held up to 6 years of commercial fishing, ferrying, and diving use.
parkstone bay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-07-2018, 23:55   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by LagunaRed View Post
Our cat (Lagoon 52F) has a vinyl wrap on it. The wrap has pros and cons like anything else. It does look great but you need to take care of it by using vinyl cleaner to help keep it's luster. YOU DO NOT WAX IT. Early on, we did bump a few things and the vinyl can be fragile. The patches over the tears actually don't look that bad (surprisingly). We solved the problem with large blow up fenders. We live on the boat and we're in and out of docks, fuel docks all over. Realistically, I think the wrap lasts about 3-4 years before it needs to be replaced. I'm debating what we're going to do about ours next year. You can see pictures on our website: www.sailsummerkai.com. Hope that helps.
Your Cat looks awesome! That's a big cat. And what a great family you have. Looks like you guys are really enjoying the adventure!
boatingnewbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-07-2018, 23:56   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thalas View Post
I've often lusted after the gun-metal grey Gunboat paint scheme. I think someone on this forum actually painted a Lagoon that grey and it made the boat look very bespoke for a Big 3 cat. Seems like a great way to try something adventurous like that and then go back to your white boat in 2-3 years if you aren't feeling it (or immediately since removing it is much easier than a repaint).
I feel the same way about bronze/copper color hulls which is why I started this thread in the first place.
Old 30-07-2018, 00:06   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thalas View Post
Thanks for the pics and info. This is exactly what I was curious about. I've often lusted after the gun-metal grey Gunboat paint scheme.
Hey Thalas,

I just found this on YouTube (a video from January 2018). Looks like someone did that gray wrap on a Leopard 48:
Old 30-07-2018, 03:14   #22

Boat: Fountaine Pajot Athena 11.6m Rapa Nui II

I have seen this done on dark blue boats that will spend several years in charter and then revert to the owner whereupon he removes the wrap and his hopefully pristine blue hull is unveiled. Navy Blue boats seem to be a British status thing but they do suffer sun damage and the dreaded white bloom which makes them look drab and old. Personally, the heat gain and the upkeep of a dark blue boat outway any presumed advantage of having a fractionally more unique boat.
Viny wrapping is used extensively for race boats to enable beautiful schemes advertising sponsors, but then it does not have to last long and the cost of re-doing it is paid for by said sponsors.
Rapanui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2018, 11:54   #23

Boat: Beneteau 44cc

I accidentally scratched a cat that was vinyl wrapped owner said repair cost 80$ i went to pay him and had look at the repair patch it was virtually invisible.I have a dark blue hull that is faded. I wrap job is fast cheap and if well done will last a few years. Om definately going to do it. I have see repainted boats and no matter how well done they look repainted. With a vinyl wrap the finish is specracular and repairs are quick easy cheap and invisible whats not to like about that
cajucito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2018, 17:37   #24

Boat: 37 Uniflite Coastal Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by cajucito View Post
I have see repainted boats and no matter how well done they look repainted.
I don't disagree with the comments of others that a two-part urethane paint job is expensive and requires considerable surface prep. I do disagree that there is any other finish - including new gelcoat - which looks as good. And repairs on the surface of a urethane painted boat are truly invisible. For what it is worth, the last boat I had painted with 2-part urethane still looks spectacular 15 years later - and it is red! There is a good reason why many custom boat builders finish their boats from the yard with 2-part urethane rather than gelcoat. Yes, if you want advertising, photos, or other graphics on your boat - vinyl wraps are the right answer. But if you want the boat to be the most beautiful hull in the harbor...….
Dooglas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2018, 06:56   #25

Boat: J. J. Taylor, Contessa 32

Out of curiosity, is the vinyl used for boats exactly the same as the vinyl used for cars and trucks, or different? If the materials have been around long enough, one might expect to see them evolve to look better and last longer in marine applications. Is there choice in materials and if so, which ones are better?
Eight Sails is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2018, 07:11   #26
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38
Change Color Of Hulls With Vinyl?

Go talk to a vinyl wrapper and or sign printer, they will tell you.
Be sure to pay the extra money and get the UV resistant stuff, and all good quality vinyl wrapping I have seen has a mechanism for letting trapped air escape, one way of course is holes, another is channels on the backside of the vinyl.
However being vinyl it is soft and easily damaged
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2018, 09:40   #27

Boat: 1978 Mainship 34 Sedan Trawler MK1

Gonna do mine!!! My 1978 Mainship 34 is white. Looks ok, but its not glossy anymore. I want one of the silver/mirror color wraps. It will cost less than paint, be done in a few days, and if scratched the white under silver will hardly show. I am 82 so it will probably outlast me. If white is easier to sell, it can come off easily. If replaced every5 years, its still cheaper than paint lasting 10 years.
jimisbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2018, 00:46   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimisbell View Post
Gonna do mine!!! My 1978 Mainship 34 is white. Looks ok, but its not glossy anymore. I want one of the silver/mirror color wraps. It will cost less than paint, be done in a few days, and if scratched the white under silver will hardly show. I am 82 so it will probably outlast me. If white is easier to sell, it can come off easily. If replaced every5 years, its still cheaper than paint lasting 10 years.
Please try and post photos of the progress!!!
Old 12-08-2018, 07:17   #29

Boat: 1978 Mainship 34 Sedan Trawler MK1

I am looking for a place that understands that a boat can be bigger than 18 feet and doesnt live on a trailer.....LOL So far they want me to bring it to them on "your trailer".
jimisbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2018, 08:04   #30

Boat: C&C 38

I did my transom with a dark blue carbon fiber (look) vinyl two years ago. To my surprise it did not peel off at the edges although I did paint over the edges. It has faded considerably but I’m encouraged that it held up as well as it has other than the fading. I’d like to do more and have seen large cats with vinyl clad hulls. Intriguing.
Mahaila is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
hull