Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 5 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 09-06-2011, 10:17   #406

Boat: 46' custom cat "Rum Doxy", Roughwater 41"Abreojos"
Re: Characteristics of a Circumnavigating Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by simons View Post
mikereed100,

Do you know anything about the catamaran? What is it? Does it have a forward cockpit? and how does the aft-cockpit look like? I think that it looks interesting.

Thanks.

Simon
Hi Simon,

The boat is mostly a custom design by a singularly clever and forward thinking fellow. It does have a forward cockpit, actually more of a "workpit" as there is no seating. This concept was later copied by M+M for use on the Gunboat designs . The aft cockpit is 6' deep by about 14' wide, actually more of a "lanai" as there is no line handling done from here.
Lots of pictures here: www.sailblogs.com/member/rumdoxy

Mike
mikereed100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2011, 20:59   #407
Marine Service Provider

Boat: 65 Sailing/Fishing catamaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikereed100 View Post
Hi Simon,

The boat is mostly a custom design by a singularly clever and forward thinking fellow. It does have a forward cockpit, actually more of a "workpit" as there is no seating. This concept was later copied by M+M for use on the Gunboat designs . The aft cockpit is 6' deep by about 14' wide, actually more of a "lanai" as there is no line handling done from here.
Lots of pictures here: www.sailblogs.com/member/rumdoxy

Mike
Correct me if I'm wrong, but Mike aren't you the owner of Rum Doxy?

I just looked thru a lot of the photo gallery on that blog that was referenced, all the way back to the acquisition of the original vessel, and I must say you have done a marvelous job of resurrecting and modifying that vessel.

However I don't think anyone could claim that Gunboat's forward cockpit was copied from Rum Doxy. It was in fact Chris White who originated that forward cockpit idea.

There was another gentleman, Bill Mathers, a good friend of mine who took an early step in this direction as well. He had a 57 footer called Shearwater build by Gold Coast catamarans of St Croix, USVI in the early 1990's. Fortunately I have just discovered that they finally posted a whole series of photos of her on this website:
http://www.goldcoastyachts.com/yacht...Shearwater.pdf

Take a look at her great saloon and upper galley area as well.

I just ran across this subject thread so I'll have to read thru it more throughly in order to add other comments.

Brian Eiland
PS: I very much enjoyed you photos of Thailand cruising as well. I live there part time with my Thai wife, but up in the northern area.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	57-CAPT.STA.jpeg
Views:	389
Size:	36.5 KB
ID:	28339   Click image for larger version

Name:	57GALLEY.jpg
Views:	351
Size:	35.8 KB
ID:	28340  

Old 10-06-2011, 03:22   #408

Boat: Clipper 60 SII

I've been surprised that there has been no discussion in this thread about forward cockpits until now; why is this, when the only significant catamaran flip in the last few years has been a Chris White Atlantic 57 (Anna) with a forward cockpit? I believe the forward cockpit was a direct contributor to the inversion of Anna. I cannot believe that people can be sailing in a situation where the only way of releasing a sheet in a squall or storm is to open a front door on an ocean going yacht. Not being able to release a sheet is crazy on a monohull, (where the worst outcome is just a knockdown), but on a cat it is certifiably insane when the end result is inversion.
Kiwi. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-06-2011, 03:38   #409

Mike,

nice job and I like your approaches.

- What is your experience with the double mainsheet setup?

- What do you think about the steering position? Are you able to keep lookout from there and can you see the mainsail?

- What do you think about the forward cockpit and isn't the door very exposed to rain or spray?

Love to learn your experience.

Simon
simons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-06-2011, 07:41   #410

Brian,

Thanks for the kind words. You may be right about the origins of the forward cockpit. It's possible that I got it backwards.

The "Shearwater" is a beautifull boat. I couldn't get the link to work but will track it down later so as to see the rest of the pictures.

Mike
Old 14-06-2011, 10:08   #411

Thanks Simon,

In answer to your questions;

Double mainsheet:
So far I like it. I originally went with it because during the refit someone stole half the traveler track, but now I appreciate the wider sheeting angle and having 2 fewer lines to deal with in the cockpit. I plan to add a chainplate to each hull aft of the capshroud chainplates so that I can move the mainsheet even further to leeward when running.

Pilothouse steering:
It's really nice to have a protected place out of the sun, rain and wind. Most of our sailing is done with the hatch and door open so there is a nice breeze blowing through the cabin. Visibility is great, although not as good as cats like the Atlantics that have a wheel in the cockpit. The position is near the center of the boat so the motion is comfortable. There is a hatch overhead through which I can see the mainsail, although if I really want a good look around or to feel the wind the cockpit is one step away.

Forward cockpit:
I like the forward cockpit to the degree that it is a prerequisite to any cat I would own in the future, but like everything on a boat there are compromises.

The downsides include;
It can get wet when going to windward in winds over about 18 to 20 knots. In conditions like this we shut the door and hatch.
It makes it difficult to have a large saloon table in any but a very big boat. On my boat we have dispensed with the saloon table altogether and don’t miss it a bit. All our meals and social gatherings are in the aft cockpit. There is bar in the galley that will seat 4 if it's too wet or rough outside and in lieu of a setee we have a daybed and plan a platform that will hold 2 large beanbags.
As all sail handling occurs in a relatively small area, there can be a lot of spaghetti underfoot if one is not careful. We have a couple of bins for lines at each side of the mast and will be adding line bags behind the mast to help with this.
If I were lying to a sea anchor in breaking waves I would be concerned about the door and hatch. Both are very strong, but I am planning a way to lash the spare rudders across the cockpit if I ever find myself in this situation.

The main advantage to the forward cockpit to my mind is safety. It's really hard to overstate the feeling of security when standing in a waist deep pit for all sail and anchor handling. There are no steps to climb and the cockpit is one step away from the helm and the protection of the cabin. If it’s wet it’s easy enough to time entrance and exit to avoid spray. If it were really bad I suppose I could always go around the side and drop into the cockpit but this has not been necessary as yet. In fact, since I avoid going to windward in rough weather when I can, we have only rarely taken spray in the cockpit. 99% of our sailing is done with the door open.
The cockpit with it’s door and hatch act as a large wind scoop that keeps the cabin well ventilated.
The cockpit is the perfect place for a shower and is protected enough to use even in a marina.
A chair can be brought to the cockpit and makes a nice place to hang out underway.
The helm, galley and nav station are all adjacent. We can steer while seated at the nav station.
Kiwi has expressed a valid concern that the forward cockpit could be a liability in a squall and that in fact it may have contributed to the capsize of Anna, but I disagree. Like the crew of Anna, if I were concerned about capsize I would have no qualms about opening the door no matter how wet it was, and the sheets, outhaul and reefing clew stoppers are directly at hand. Moreover, Anna’s experience has not been lost on me and when around squalls, headlands or mountains the main is deeply reefed if not doused altogether.

Mike
Old 17-06-2011, 04:29   #412

Boat: Clipper 60 SII
Mike, your point is a good one; the real issue is to never be too far from the sheets. I've been reading the thread on Lagoon 420 v 440 and I've been shocked at people who think they are in control of a sailing vessel, just because they can steer it. If you can't adjust or release the main and jib sheets within a couple of steps or seconds you're not in control, you're a passenger. Any fly bridge catamaran under sail, being steered from the main saloon, is definitely not under control.
Kiwi. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-2011, 06:07   #413
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikereed100 View Post
Brian,

Thanks for the kind words. You may be right about the origins of the forward cockpit. It's possible that I got it backwards.

The "Shearwater" is a beautifull boat. I couldn't get the link to work but will track it down later so as to see the rest of the pictures.

Mike
Were you able to finally make that connection?... I thought the link was still good.

Sorry to digrest from the fwd cockpit subject for a moment, but one of the photos of your vessel prompted me to ask another question. Am I seeing proturberances into the underwing areas in order to accomodate the steps into each hull??

If so, haven't you found these to be awful nosy underway in even a small seaway?
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	sb2k31xr.jpg
Views:	366
Size:	51.8 KB
ID:	28743  
Old 19-06-2011, 09:11   #414

[QUOTE=beiland;711238]
Sorry to digrest from the fwd cockpit subject for a moment, but one of the photos of your vessel prompted me to ask another question. Am I seeing proturberances into the underwing areas in order to accomodate the steps into each hull??
QUOTE]

Brian,

I see what you mean, it does look like there are shelves in the underwing, but that is just an illusion from reflections on the gussets.
I don't think underwing protruberances are a good idea and would not put them on a boat of mine if I could avoid it.

I did manage to take a look at the Shearwater. A beautifull boat. I'm surprised that more designers aren't offering forward cockpit models. Bob Oram has them on a few of his designs, the smallest only 39'.
39′ Mango « Bob Oram Design

Mike
Old 19-06-2011, 10:03   #415

While perusing Bob Oram's site I just came across this:

"I know I go on about it but …
We have 4 boats with the fore and aft cockpit option and I for one would never have another bridgedeck boat without two cockpits. The advantages are too many to mention here, but the most important is simply safety. On ‘Mango’ I probably walked on the side decks 10 times in 3 years of use. Another safety feature was the ease and speed of putting a reef in the main. It was such a simple task that it was achieved single-handedly in about 3 minutes from easing the mainsheet to trimming it on again, without taking one vertical step and being ‘in’ the boat and secure at all times."

Apologies for belaboring the point.

Mike
Old 19-06-2011, 11:11   #416
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Brian,

I see what you mean, it does look like there are shelves in the underwing, but that is just an illusion from reflections on the gussets.
I don't think underwing protruberances are a good idea and would not put them on a boat of mine if I could avoid it.
Mike
WOW I'm still confused by the illusion...guess I will have to look at it a few more times as I'm now 'self-programed' to see it another way.

Fwd Cockpits
To tell the truth I am not a real fan...it likes riding in a convertible car with no windshield...great when I was younger, but I really like being able to duck behind that bulkhead of the aft cockpit...especially in foul weather or cooler climates.

If you make accomodations for a fwd cockpit, likely in many instances you have to sacrifice saloon area or aft cockpit size. If you make it so it has some seating and/or a steering station then it takes up valuable area that might be utilized for the fwd big berths that might occupy some of that wing area.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oram
Another safety feature was the ease and speed of putting a reef in the main.
And of course I would prefer to have a 'mainsail' that didn't present such a problem at all....perhaps no 'mainsail' at all ...
Sail Propulsion - Revisiting a Mast-Aft Sailing Rig

Aftmast rigs??? - Page 7 - Boat Design Forums

Chris White's 57 capsize
Old 20-06-2011, 11:49   #417

Quote:
Originally Posted by beiland View Post
And of course I would prefer to have a 'mainsail' that didn't present such a problem at all....perhaps no 'mainsail' at all ...
I was wondering when you would get around to mentioning your rig. I read with interest your work with the aft mast design a couple years ago on the boatdesign site. Do you have plans to build one anytime soon? I would love to see one in action!

Mike
Old 20-06-2011, 13:24   #418
Marine Service Provider

Aft Mast Motorsailing Cat

Have you seen or heard of these motorsailing powercats being built over in Thailand...2 finished now for Hong Kong owners

HK40' - Power Sailing Catamaran.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	HK40 catamaran aft mast.jpg
Views:	692
Size:	15.7 KB
ID:	28789  
Old 20-06-2011, 18:10   #419

Boat: 11meter Power catamaran
Re: Aft Mast Motorsailing Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by beiland View Post
Have you seen or heard of these motorsailing powercats being built over in Thailand...2 finished now for Hong Kong owners

HK40' - Power Sailing Catamaran.

How well do they sail? They do look quite heavy. Not a reflection on the rig concept though.
downunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-06-2011, 18:37   #420
Marine Service Provider

I can only report what the builder sent me one time in the past...no updates since to me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Originally Posted by the builder
We launched our HK 40 aft mast , finally , after some adjustments .

I tested the boat only 2 time and we still don't have the main sail rigged (hopefully soon) . But I must say that I am extremely happy about the rig . The boat is fast , being a 10 ton displacement vessel , and I have seen 9.5 knts under sail , in the typical light wind of Pattaya Bay .

Very easy tacking and the boat is pointing in the wind extremely well . I need some more tests to provide some numbers , but let me say by now that the project is successful . A very nice design and a real good concept and idea!

The boat drags a lot of attention in the Marina !! We receive visitors every
day .

I started the construction of other 2 units , to be delivered in Bali and
to stay in Thailand