Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-11-2013, 09:13   #1

Boat: Catamaran - Eventually
Charter with Group

Hello all, I'm currently an armchair sailor and have only currently been on boats with motors. I'd like to charter a boat in the Caribbean but my wife and I are having a hard time coming up with couples that stay together or with the means to go in on a charter (being about $4K not counting airfare per couple). Is there anywhere on this forum that has other couples trying to hook up with others with this problem to try to organize this kind of trip?

We want to get a catamaran in the Caribbean that is big enough for 3-4 couples for a week.

If anyone knows of a thread or link for something like this let me know.
Old 08-11-2013, 09:18   #2

Boat: Leopard 39 Owners Version
Quote:
Originally Posted by detav007 View Post
Hello all, I'm currently an armchair sailor and have only currently been on boats with motors. I'd like to charter a boat in the Caribbean but my wife and I are having a hard time coming up with couples that stay together or with the means to go in on a charter (being about $4K not counting airfare per couple). Is there anywhere on this forum that has other couples trying to hook up with others with this problem to try to organize this kind of trip?

We want to get a catamaran in the Caribbean that is big enough for 3-4 couples for a week.

If anyone knows of a thread or link for something like this let me know.
Too bad you didn't say something a month ago. I was looking for company because my wife wasnt able to join me. Been on a nice cat alone since the 28 Oct. finally she gets here next Wednesday! Check out discounted charters at sailonline.com , maybe something there for you.
Privleoplag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2013, 09:29   #3

Boat: Catamaran - Eventually
Re: Charter with Group

Quote:
Originally Posted by Privleoplag View Post
Too bad you didn't say something a month ago. I was looking for company because my wife wasnt able to join me. Been on a nice cat alone since the 28 Oct. finally she gets here next Wednesday! Check out discounted charters at sailonline.com , maybe something there for you.

Story of my life, day late and a dollar short. Hope you guys have a great time. the weather here is anything but tropical.
Old 08-11-2013, 09:43   #4

Boat: S2-9.2 CC & IP40

We did several trips like this with people from other boats at our docks at our marina. Possibly join sailing clubs or boat clubs and meet others that like to charter. The hardest part is finding compatable couples. It would probably be easier to find one other couple and charter a smaller boat.
Discuss things like....do you get up early or sleep in. do you like doing the sailing in the AM or later in the day. Do you drink at the end of the day...once you are on a moaring, or all day long...Do you like to cook all meals on the boat or eat out every night....etc.
WebWench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2013, 10:06   #5

Yeah, it's a problem putting a group together. Funds issues, work issues etc... not to mention getting along and having the same goals! I've thought about trying to join a group for a week -10 day charter...as my wife is unable to do so any more... but it's complicated...

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2013, 10:24   #6

Boat: Manta 40 catamaran

You might try looking up Festiva BVI. I don't have any experience with them, but they sell cabins on charter and are all-inclusive.
karenmccraw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2013, 12:13   #7
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Balance 526

Another option is to go on a crewed charter who rents out by the cabin. That way you can gain some sailing experience while still having a captain on board. His rates are very reasonable. I have a buddy who does this in the Bahamas let me know if your interested and I can pass along his info. Send me a PM

regards,
Dave

Tags
charter