Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-05-2024, 19:59   #31

Boat: FP Lavezzi 40
Re: Cheap Dyneema trampoline net from Amare, someone have that

Quote:
Originally Posted by s/v Jedi View Post
Sure but that doesn’t mean that working within a budget means you must buy the cheapest option regardless of quality. At some point quality becomes too low and it simply doesn’t work in a tight budget when it requires premature replacement.

Maybe the old trampoline will do for another year or some other item can wait a year, allowing for a little more budget to open more options for a buying decision. I am convinced that the cheaper option isn’t the least expensive. Often the higher quality options are less cost for the lifespan.
I didn't buy the cheapest option but the net directly from the manufacturer that other companies that produce nets for trampolin use too. Talked to sales because of the express shipping and she told me several well known once which use their net.
I need to add a hemline (which is another 150Euro, i can use/recycle a 15m piece of my old mainsail halyard that was always inside the mast and quite new) and cut to seize so still have some work with it which you have to count too.
CaptainRivet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2024, 10:04   #32

Boat: 46' custom cat "Rum Doxy", Roughwater 41"Abreojos"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leadfree View Post
I have painted Dyneema (from Net Systems) netting with Clark & Kensington semigloss exterior latex which is working well some two years and going in sub-30N latitudes. Mine is white but I expect you could just have colour added for whatever you want
That is encouraging. I am planning to paint my Net Systems netting this year with the understanding that it will need to be redone from time to time. The original coating is long gone. I plan to prime with Rustoleum plastic primer before applying black exterior paint.

www.sailblogs.com/member/rumdoxy

Come to the dark side. We have donuts.
mikereed100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2024, 13:29   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikereed100 View Post
That is encouraging. I am planning to paint my Net Systems netting this year with the understanding that it will need to be redone from time to time. The original coating is long gone. I plan to prime with Rustoleum plastic primer before applying black exterior paint.
you cannot paint or in any way change colour of the amare net after amare coats their dyneema net. you can order it without coating but that drastically reducing its lifespan as no UV protection then.
amare is actually producing and coating each net only after full payment of order which takes them 7-8 working.
mine is currently in coating and will be shipped soon.
they cannot offer other colors white and grey as they only have the fibres in this 2 coloures to produce the nets.
Old 11-05-2024, 10:10   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainRivet View Post
you cannot paint or in any way change colour of the amare net after amare coats their dyneema net. you can order it without coating but that drastically reducing its lifespan as no UV protection then.
amare is actually producing and coating each net only after full payment of order which takes them 7-8 working.
mine is currently in coating and will be shipped soon.
they cannot offer other colors white and grey as they only have the fibres in this 2 coloures to produce the nets.
I wonder if Amare has a better method for coating UHWMPE than Dyneema and other manufacturers. I would be surprised if this were so, but it would not be the first time. I have used a lot of line from different suppliers and the coating comes off easily on my hands. Within a few years there is very little of the original coating left on the lines and it is fully exposed to UV. The netting on my cat is from Net Systems and the original gold colored coating is pretty much completely gone, leaving the net white. This not only leaves the netting exosed to UV, but makes it very difficult to see through in the dark when the deck lights are on, making raising the anchor at night a little more difficult. Anyhow, slapping some paint on is easy and cheap.

Old 11-05-2024, 11:59   #35

Quote:
I wonder if Amare has a better method for coating UHWMPE than Dyneema and other manufacturers. I would be surprised if this were so, but it would not be the first time. I have used a lot of line from different suppliers and the coating comes off easily on my hands. Within a few years there is very little of the original coating left on the lines and it is fully exposed to UV. The netting on my cat is from Net Systems and the original gold colored coating is pretty much completely gone, leaving the net white. This not only leaves the netting exosed to UV, but makes it very difficult to see through in the dark when the deck lights are on, making raising the anchor at night a little more difficult. Anyhow, slapping some paint on is easy and cheap.
Well i will find out but for 20Euro per sqm no problem if i have to replace it in 5 or 6 years but i expect later as thats what the polyester net done and the netting is ripping now.

Amare told me coating is also sealing the fibre so there is coating on top that will come off after some time using the trampoline but it also goes into fibre continuing to protect it, thats why you cannot paint that as paint won't stick.
Yours is a fisher net produced in huge quantities which is not so exposed to UV and they coat it afterwards while amare specifically fabricates that net for trampolines and produces every net made to order.i will see..
Old 11-05-2024, 23:30   #36
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64

DSM doesn’t coat Dyneema, it is the companies that buy the fibers and make products from them that do.

I have really old Amsteel and even though coating is all over your hands while splicing it and the rope color fades after years of UV exposure, there’s still enough coating on it to protect it. It never becomes white as in uncoated Dyneema.

If the coating comes off like described, it is a flawed product. Don’t assume it’s Dyneema either because it isn’t.

s/v Jedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2024, 05:45   #37

Quote:
I would not advise primer. The C&K bonded just fine. You don’t want the coating to stiffen the net too much. That is the point of using a latex type paint. If you have ever seen/used purpose made ‘net paint’ there is no primer involved

The gold of the Net Systems fades to grey, but the coating is still there. However, after my experience I will make sure to paint my new nets in less than the 10 years that I did the first set. (My earlier post mentions two years; that refers to the paint, not the nets.) Low latitude sun is hard on things
Leadfree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2024, 10:02   #38

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Try Rit fabric dye.

Old 17-05-2024, 08:31   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by s/v Jedi View Post
Try Rit fabric dye.
Great suggestion. I always assumed that Rit was for natural fiber only, but it turns out they now make a dye for synthetics. I could be the first kid on my block to have a tie dyed trampoline.
https://www.ritdye.com/instructions/...thetic-fibers/

Old 17-05-2024, 14:52   #40

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Great suggestion. I always assumed that Rit was for natural fiber only, but it turns out they now make a dye for synthetics. I could be the first kid on my block to have a tie dyed trampoline.
It even works for anodizing aluminum so should be good to go

Old 18-05-2024, 19:50   #41

Quote:
You need a huge pot and an even bigger stove to be able to dye your net. Mine is 440x210 and weights 4kg=8pounds. Thats on the small side what i have seen so far.
Due to dye instruction you need 3 gallon per pound fabric so 24 gallon of water...i don't have a pot like this and it won't fit my induction stove.
Old 18-05-2024, 20:12   #42

Boat: Woods Mira 35 Catamaran

Quote:
You need a huge pot and an even bigger stove to be able to dye your net. Mine is 440x210 and weights 4kg=8pounds. Thats on the small side what i have seen so far.
Due to dye instruction you need 3 gallon per pound fabric so 24 gallon of water...i don't have a pot like this and it won't fit my induction stove.

Some thoughts.

Get an old steel drum, cut off the lid. Get a cheap gas burner like they use to cook crabs or Paella outside.

Or make a bonfire.
Old 20-05-2024, 05:13   #43

I would be very surprised if the dye offered anything like the UV protection of exterior latex and certainly would not be durable
Leadfree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-05-2024, 08:20   #44

Quote:
We brew our own beer onboard and have an 8 gallon s/s kettle and a "Bayou cooker" propane burner that we can set up outside the boat. I suspect that the 3 gallon per pound recommendation is so that the fabric is completely wetted out. Not an issue with the open mesh of a net. I don't know how much my netting weighs, but one side will easily fit in my kettle with plenty of room to spare.

Old 21-05-2024, 08:26   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leadfree View Post
I would be very surprised if the dye offered anything like the UV protection of exterior latex and certainly would not be durable
True, but I suspect any coating that I apply will eventually wear off, as did the original coating. I suspect that most of the UV damage has already been done after 8 years on the boat. My main goal is to darken the netting so that I can see the anchor and chain through it while raising/lowering in the dark.

Tags
cheap, dyneema, ramp