Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-01-2017, 16:25   #1996

Boat: Building a Max Cruise 44 hybrid electric cat
Re: Cheap Multis and Projects

1994 HOME BUILT Trimaran Sail Boat For Sale - www.yachtworld.com

1994 59' tri for $32k

Matt
Old 06-01-2017, 16:28   #1997
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by funjohnson View Post
looks pukey.
geoleo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2017, 19:10   #1998

Quote:
Originally Posted by snort View Post
Well, how could you go wrong for a dollar? The plastic chairs on deck are worth more than that.
Those plastic chairs are dangerous!

John McEnroe
44'cruisingcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2017, 04:06   #1999

plastic chairs make excellent signal fires for the rescue chopper
UpOnStands is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2017, 09:54   #2000

Boat: Searunner 37 Trimaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by funjohnson View Post

Never judge a book by its cover......those interior pictures are begging for the tri to be gutted
thatguyrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2017, 14:13   #2001

Boat: Seafarer,Atlantic,30

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhiSig1071 View Post

New to the forum - be gentle with me.....

Newicks are pretty expensive when in sail away condition, clearly this one is going to need quite a bit....- Hulls were pretty bulletproof (airex) and that's a great start .......Has anyone seen this project in person?

SA
2Tall2Tri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2017, 15:02   #2002

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveAdkins View Post

Newicks are pretty expensive when in sail away condition, clearly this one is going to need quite a bit....- Hulls were pretty bulletproof (airex) and that's a great start .......Has anyone seen this project in person?

SA
Welcome to the forums!

"Expensive" is a relative term (kinda like "sailaway").

If you're looking for a fast daysailer there's a 28' Newick Tri on YW for $50k. Compared to a starting price of now $8k, and sailing the day you buy it vs a few years down the road, I don't know if I would call that "expensive". And that's just limiting yourself to a Newick. There are a few Corsair's to be found for less than $50k in sailaway condition. Likely not as fast as a Newick, but when you get a five year head start (sailaway vs fixing the Newick) I think an F24/27/28 would make up for it.

Honestly, depending on how extensive the repairs are and the condition of the rigging/sails/everything else you could probably sink the better part of that $42k into rebuilding this boat. (IMO).

Question for you, how do you know it's airex cored? I didn't see it mentioned in the ad?
Old 07-01-2017, 15:29   #2003

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhiSig1071 View Post
Welcome to the forums!

"Expensive" is a relative term (kinda like "sailaway").

If you're looking for a fast daysailer there's a 28' Newick Tri on YW for $50k. Compared to a starting price of now $8k, and sailing the day you buy it vs a few years down the road, I don't know if I would call that "expensive". And that's just limiting yourself to a Newick. There are a few Corsair's to be found for less than $50k in sailaway condition. Likely not as fast as a Newick, but when you get a five year head start (sailaway vs fixing the Newick) I think an F24/27/28 would make up for it.

Honestly, depending on how extensive the repairs are and the condition of the rigging/sails/everything else you could probably sink the better part of that $42k into rebuilding this boat. (IMO).

Question for you, how do you know it's airex cored? I didn't see it mentioned in the ad?

I'm guessing she's Airex as every (newer) Newick I've run across is built out of it....I spent 5 years building custom mono's back in the 70's (using airex) so I understand these older sleds. Interiors are an easy fix in my world and you get all the right (new) wiring and systems (not much)....

I'm a really big guy and need 30' IMHO as I plan to cruise with my new bride. (retirement is not far away)
I raced 2 seasons up at NEMA on a Corsair 37 and honestly I really don't want a Corsair or similar.... My budget is clearly under 50k so ....Searunners are in the mix, (slow but comfortable) and I looked at a Kellsal 32, needs to much work and missed a great Val by a year....and I absolutely would love to own a NEWICK. The one on the cape looks amazing but its real daysailer - tiny down below.... but haven't found one yet and the current 30 footers are all over 50k.....so.....

Do you know if the Lock Crowther-Twiggy design, in the Bahamas have any real room below (looks fast)

Appreciate any leads or advice .

SA
Old 07-01-2017, 15:55   #2004

Quote:
I'm guessing she's Airex as every (newer) Newick I've run across is built out of it....I spent 5 years building custom mono's back in the 70's (using airex) so I understand these older sleds. Interiors are an easy fix in my world and you get all the right (new) wiring and systems (not much)....

I'm a really big guy and need 30' IMHO as I plan to cruise with my new bride. (retirement is not far away)
I raced 2 seasons up at NEMA on a Corsair 37 and honestly I really don't want a Corsair or similar.... My budget is clearly under 50k so ....Searunners are in the mix, (slow but comfortable) and I looked at a Kellsal 32, needs to much work and missed a great Val by a year....and I absolutely would love to own a NEWICK. The one on the cape looks amazing but its real daysailer - tiny down below.... but haven't found one yet and the current 30 footers are all over 50k.....so.....

Do you know if the Lock Crowther-Twiggy design, in the Bahamas have any real room below (looks fast)

Appreciate any leads or advice .

SA
When I am realistic about my budget I have found better boats on Sailboatlistings.com over YW. Just searching "Trimaran" and sorting the results by descending length there are quite a few Tri's in your size and your budget. I would also try searchtempest.com to search all the craigslist ad's in your area. There was a hell of a nice Tri listed in the boats classifieds on here that would probably be exactly what you're looking for, if it's still available:

Trevor Banks 44 Tri

Honestly, I don't know a lot about specific Tri's, and from the sound of your curriculum vitae I should be asking you about boats rather than the other way around. And with your skill set, a project boat is a much more realistic option for you.
Old 07-01-2017, 20:31   #2005

Boat: Tinker Traveller...a dozen feet of bluewater awesomeness!

Quote:

SA
This is one that you wouldn't need to travel to in order to get a clear idea if it's a worthwhile project. The pictures do that for you.

Cruising trimarans of the composite variety may be among the best deals to be found in used boats. Just keep looking and you'll find a much better candidate at a very reasonable price.
snort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2017, 12:51   #2006

Who know all things Newick in here?

Have you seen the Tricia in southern Spain, on line?

I seem to remember a similar boat in Texas a number of years back....but my memory .....

SA
Old 09-01-2017, 20:49   #2007

there is a nice newick white wings that was advertised briefly in bc somewhere around 50k cad (70c to 1 us dollar) and i heard about a newick val wing in california that could be "possibly" for sale cheap if you consider buying on the west coast. send pm if serious and i could try to dig up contact info.

there is also a newick 40ft cat converted to "pod" cat with no rig on florida craigslist somewhere for 20k, and has been for sale for a long time.
purvisgs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2017, 21:47   #2008

Boat: American Boat Works 43

Here's that Florida Craigslist Newick:

https://fortmyers.craigslist.org/lee...922872883.html
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Newick pod boat - composite construction.jpg
Views:	178
Size:	55.4 KB
ID:	139321  
Miz Pea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2017, 10:41   #2009

Boat: 31' Corsair/Farrier(RIP) trimaran. Lauwersmeer Cruiser in Europe canals. 19' Lightning

Steve A,

If you really are zeroing in on Newick trimarans you might consider starting a new post with that in the title. Might get more responses. Also look/post at Multihullnanarchy but get your thick skin on. I happened to have run across this: 1994 Newick 53 - $199,000.00 Might be NZ dollars.

ejlindahl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2017, 10:53   #2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by ejlindahl View Post
Steve A,

If you really are zeroing in on Newick trimarans you might consider starting a new post with that in the title. Might get more responses. Also look/post at Multihullnanarchy but get your thick skin on. I happened to have run across this: 1994 Newick 53 - $199,000.00 Might be NZ dollars.

Yep. NZ Dollars, about $140k US

1994 Newick 53 Sail Boat For Sale - www.yachtworld.com

Tags
cheap, paracelle