Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-02-2019, 14:18   #2626

Boat: Custom Catamaran
Re: Cheap Multis and Projects

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailordudeii View Post
He should give it away and be happy he isn't paying yard fees anymore and someone else is going to.
Give away the Iroquois? Doubtful. Looks like a circa 30ft cat that needs a bit of paint and interior. Second hand sails aren’t that much either... so based on his $5k work estimate, plenty of elbow grease (plus a negotiated down $5k purchase), $10k’s not bad for a 30-ft cat.

N
ausnp84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2019, 09:54   #2627

Boat: Boatless

Being boatless since I sold my 31er I'd be interested. Bad timing but might take a look in month. Not sure if I want another boat with an outboard.

Cheap sails? Used sails end up being expensive. Could be a nice pocket cruiser but I'd expect at least 10 k investment.
Jimske is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2019, 10:08   #2628

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimske View Post
Being boatless since I sold my 31er I'd be interested. Bad timing but might take a look in month. Not sure if I want another boat with an outboard.

Cheap sails? Used sails end up being expensive. Could be a nice pocket cruiser but I'd expect at least 10 k investment.
True! Always gotta budget double for a refit...

N
Old 15-02-2019, 12:49   #2629

Boat: 34' Crowther tri sold 16' Kayak now
Meyer's Cat

Here's a 46' Meyer's Cat project new SF. $60,000
https://www.latitude38.com/classifie...?cat=multihull

Old 19-02-2019, 04:02   #2630
Sos

Boat: Woods Flica catamaran

Here is a project and a business Tektron
Sos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2019, 06:49   #2631

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sos View Post
Here is a project and a business Tektron

That's a very strange boat......... In at least one photo you can see bulkheads with doorways inside the hulls like a normal cat, in others you can see what are apparently large sealed areas all along the outside of the hull. looking from above, it looks like the entire hull is more or less closed off and unihabitable... decked right across, and then the entire boat is in three pieces.......... None of it really makes much sense. It's as if we are looking at several boats..... I can't quite put it all together. Look at picture one and picture three below...........
owly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2019, 07:09   #2632
Sos

I think the top picture is part of the mouldings, not the boat.
Good designs by Shuttleworth.
Old 19-02-2019, 07:57   #2633

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sos View Post
I think the top picture is part of the mouldings, not the boat.
Good designs by Shuttleworth.

You're right.......... I somehow missed that there were molds included. It would be nice to see more modern cats in this size range being made and sold. The older cats simply do not have enough beam to be safe voyaging cats as far as I'm concerned, and these days everybody seems to think they need HUGE boats. 35' is a good size.

It seems that Shuttleworth designed this as an open deck boat from other photos I found. His use of a knuckle outboard, and incorporating bridge deck areas into the hull spaces makes for a huge interior in the hulls. I like this kind of thinking, except that I consider an enclosed space on the bridge deck very important.... even if it's a sit down only space. Shuttleworth gets a lot of utility out of a fairly compact boat. H.W.

Old 19-02-2019, 08:57   #2634

I like those Shuttleworth boats! Lots of interior space and as the structure is solid already, you could fit a lightweight bridgedeck canopy / covering over the bridgedeck for extra protection.

N
Old 19-02-2019, 09:05   #2635
Sos

Quote:
Originally Posted by ausnp84 View Post
I like those Shuttleworth boats! Lots of interior space and as the structure is solid already, you could fit a lightweight bridgedeck canopy / covering over the bridgedeck for extra protection.

N

I believe that they also sail very well
Old 20-02-2019, 16:32   #2636

Boat: Crowther Bucaneer 33, Trevor Banks 44 trimaran

I really love the concept too, but keep in mind that the widely flared hulls put the leverage for the rig outside the foot print of the waterline. Ian Farrier was not at all a fan of this concept from a stability standpoint, and flared his hulls only on the inside of his cats, and I have to agree. They are very nice from a standpoint of maximum space in the hulls, but you have the stance of a 30' boat with the rig and leverage of a 35-40'. Perhaps when the flared hulls are in the water this is less of a factor, but it is bound to slow the boat and change the dynamics greatly. As to the open cockpit, the side on pic makes it look as though there might be a cuddy cabin built on this one over the central cockpit.
AntiqueTri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2019, 12:16   #2637

Quote:
Originally Posted by AntiqueTri View Post
I really love the concept too, but keep in mind that the widely flared hulls put the leverage for the rig outside the foot print of the waterline. Ian Farrier was not at all a fan of this concept from a stability standpoint, and flared his hulls only on the inside of his cats, and I have to agree. They are very nice from a standpoint of maximum space in the hulls, but you have the stance of a 30' boat with the rig and leverage of a 35-40'. Perhaps when the flared hulls are in the water this is less of a factor, but it is bound to slow the boat and change the dynamics greatly. As to the open cockpit, the side on pic makes it look as though there might be a cuddy cabin built on this one over the central cockpit.

on most boats the leverage for the rig is outside the footprint of the boat??? I see no reason why this should be any sort of reason at all......... nor do I see how flaring the hulls will slow the boat down or greatly "change the dynamics". That all sounds a bit far fetched to me....

H.W.
Old 21-02-2019, 12:30   #2638

Here is an interesting Wharram Tiki 37 that just popped up ($20K) https://www.sailboatlistings.com/view/78094

This boat appears to have rigid beams rather than lashed beams...... I knew such things existed, but have never seen a photo of one before. In this (the main photo) you can see no lashings whatsoever. I'm very curious as to what they did. The other photos really don't tell the story.

Old 21-02-2019, 13:00   #2639

Boat: Dragonfly 1000 trimaran

For about a nanosecond I thought, "WOW ! A Wharram with dagger boards, and FOUR of them ! Is it a foiler ?

In the second nanosecond, I realized they were just open hatches.

Mae West
senormechanico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2019, 14:47   #2640

The lashings on Wharrams are IMHO the biggest liability... it means that you cannot have a bridge deck cabin (rigid) that spans over the two hulls, and is attached to them for indoor access from the cabin to the hulls. I know of at least one where the lashings have been replaced by steel straps, and such a cabin built. The double ender design is apparently subject to hobbyhorsing....... I cannot speak from experience, just repeating accounts. The living area in the T38 is set low enough in the hull that extending it out over the bridge deck is not viable, as with the shuttleworth above....... IMHO it is an archaic design in many respects........ though they are extremely seaworthy, and ALL my criticisms have to do with the human element. rather than seaworthyness. There are a number of Wharrams with add on leeway devices such as daggerboards and leeboards.... a bit of "Googling" will find them...........
My thinking is that the last quarter to third of the hull could use a "rethink", as well as the flexible concept. Time has shown flexibility not to be necessary, and different fore and aft shapes to be beneficial.

H.W.

Tags
cheap, paracelle