Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-06-2023, 15:28   #1

Boat: Lagoon 46 / Searay Sundancer 350
Code Zero/Asym Furling line to helm?

I've never used a code zero or an Asymmetrical spinnaker. From what I've seen, it seems that for both, the most common is a top down furler with a continuous line that most people use from up on the trampoline. If one was single handling a boat, couldn't you run the furling line loop right up to the helm so that you could furl and control the sheet at the same time? I'm specifically thinking of a Lagoon 46. It seems that if the line were long enough, you could run it directly from the furler over the coach roof directly to the helm...but I've never seen anyone do this. If one was single handling a boat, how would you furl an asym and control the sheet at the same time?
HabibiDah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-06-2023, 16:54   #2

Boat: Outremer 55L
Re: Code Zero/Asym Furling line to helm?

Quote:
Originally Posted by HabibiDah View Post
I've never used a code zero or an Asymmetrical spinnaker. From what I've seen, it seems that for both, the most common is a top down furler with a continuous line that most people use from up on the trampoline. If one was single handling a boat, couldn't you run the furling line loop right up to the helm so that you could furl and control the sheet at the same time? I'm specifically thinking of a Lagoon 46. It seems that if the line were long enough, you could run it directly from the furler over the coach roof directly to the helm...but I've never seen anyone do this. If one was single handling a boat, how would you furl an asym and control the sheet at the same time?

Single handed furling is not easy, as you have the competing needs to ease the sheet slowly while keeping the sail reasonably taut for a good tight furl, and pulling in the furling line so that the sail furls. If I do it myself then I do alternating sheet eases and furling line pulls: ease the sheet a few metres and cleat, then pull in the furling line until it gets to tight and cleat, then ease the sheet a few metres, etc. Turning downwind to relieve pressure on the sail helps. Furling a code sail or asymmetric is much easier with two people!

You sound a bit confused regarding top down and bottom up furlers: check out https://rigworks.com/sail-handling-s...-down-furlers/. The furler lines are generally lead to the cockpit where the sheet handling is done. An asymmetric spinnaker has a lot of extra cloth up high, which makes it a good broad reaching and downwind sail, but that extra cloth requires a top down furler. To down furlers are more finicky as they require a certain amount of tension, hence their furling line is often short so that the person doing the furling can easily see the sail and their view isn’t blocked by the mainsail.

Generally bottom up and top down furlers for spinnakers and code sails use continuous lines in basically a big loop, so you need to use double blocks, while headsail furlers for genoas and jibs use single line furlers. Rather than leading the furling lines directly to the helm station over the coach roof I would suggest leading them to the deck edge and then back along the side of the deck until you can direct them up to near wherever your sheet winch is. You don’t want them to become a tripping hazard. You need to make the line long enough and add turning blocks to your stanchions. Refer to https://www.yachtsandyachting.com/ne...y-Furling-Line.
fxykty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-06-2023, 05:49   #3

Boat: 2013 FP Lipari 41

Quote:
Originally Posted by fxykty View Post
. Rather than leading the furling lines directly to the helm station over the coach roof I would suggest leading them to the deck edge and then back along the side of the deck until you can direct them up to near wherever your sheet winch is. You don’t want them to become a tripping hazard. You need to make the line long enough and add turning blocks to your stanchions. Refer to https://www.yachtsandyachting.com/ne...y-Furling-Line.
The above description is the right way. It angles the furling line (like on your Genoa), stress is relieved, and keeps the furling line out of everyone’s way, and avoids having a bunch of hardware you’d need to avoid chafe. We have our continuous furling line running through 4 small double blocks, each with a snap shackle that attach to stanchions on the stbd side with a bungee attachment at the end.
LeeV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-06-2023, 18:57   #4

Boat: Hedley Nicol Vagabond MK2, 37'

I use a sock on symmetrical and asymmetrical chutes. Easy to do with something to hold the helm steady.
Cavalier MK2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-06-2023, 07:37   #5

Boat: Cruising Catamaran

There is no reason that the extended furling line loop could not be operated from the fly-bridge helm on a Lagoon 46, it is just more rope to deal with, but not that big a deal. The furling line is not particularly tight and so should not scuff the coach roof, maybe if you used it a lot you might want to put scuff pads in place. If you have them you could use the electric winch to furl using your big toe whilst easing the sheet with hands.
Tin Tin is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
code zero, furling, helm