Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-07-2021, 17:02   #61

Boat: Beneteau 40 CC
Re: Composting toilets?

Quote:
Originally Posted by smj View Post
Hopefully you aren’t located in the US
Who cares. What’s a fine.
Networker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2021, 17:03   #62

Quote:
Hopefully you aren’t located in the US
Right. It would be interesting to see what the Coast Guard would make of a boat directly pumping the head with no tank.
Heck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2021, 17:04   #63

Boat: Rafiki 37

Quote:
So Mike, when you dispose of the solids by burying in the woods will that continue the composting process?

Of course. Composting is just a process of microbial action which essentially digests and converts manure into other organic forms.
Old 08-07-2021, 17:05   #64

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heck View Post
Right. It would be interesting to see what the Coast Guard would make of a boat directly pumping the head with no tank.
Grow up, no one cares
Old 08-07-2021, 17:11   #65

Quote:
Originally Posted by SV WELDER View Post
But, help me out because I’ve mostly only used the natures head version which has a holding tank and a stirring rod that mixes all of it up. Works well and may speed up the composting as a result, however makes clean out a little more complex. I’ve considered a bag and bucket type solution that doesn’t have stir rod (this action could foul up the bag IMO) so then disposal could be easier. Then in use it would be poop, then layer of peat or coconut shreds, then keep layering like that until full and then simply tie bag and haul to shore. Are there versions that use bags but still have a stirring action? Is stirring even beneficial?
I've used my Natures Head for going on a decade (about 6-months per year). To empty I simply fit a plastic bag around the open bin, and then tip over. Most everything comes out easily. The churner doesn't really get in the way. I find I sometimes have to use a trowel to dig out the corners, but that's pretty easy.

Stirring the pile definitely helps the drying and initial composting process. But it's not essential. It just allows one to go longer between emptying the tank.
Old 08-07-2021, 17:13   #66

Quote:
Originally Posted by Networker View Post
3 miles out. I asked if we didn’t have one if they’d impound my boat and people said no. Worst case I’d get a fine, and I have another as decoration. Fine me all day, but I treat the ocean nice and only use them 3 miles out.

Soooo, you only use your head when you're past the three mile limit? Odd, but OK. Guess you never anchor out for very long either. Day sailor??
Old 08-07-2021, 17:13   #67

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike OReilly View Post
I've used my Natures Head for going on a decade (about 6-months per year). To empty I simply fit a plastic bag around the open bin, and then tip over. Most everything comes out easily. The churner doesn't really get in the way. I find I sometimes have to use a trowel to dig out the corners, but that's pretty easy.

Stirring the pile definitely helps the drying and initial composting process. But it's not essential. It just allows one to go longer between emptying the tank.

I’d cry if I had to do that.
Old 08-07-2021, 17:35   #68

Boat: Pearson 323

Quote:

Owning a boat makes everyone cry at one time or another.
mjscottinnc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2021, 18:33   #69
smj

Boat: TRT 1200

Quote:

Some people cry and others...........never mind
smj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2021, 18:45   #70

Boat: Spindrift 43

I don’t have an emotional tie to one over the other, but this (my 6th boat) is the first I’ve owned with a composting toilet.

It struck me as a little odd at first... wait no, what struck me first was the absolute lack of head odor the first time I stepped aboard. That alone was enough to convince me to give it a shot. A year later, I still have it installed. I did like the “hands-off” appeal of the holding tanks, but not having that dank odor down in the cabin has been enough to keep me in the composting option for now.

They are insanely priced for what they are, but I can attest, they are worth a shot.
Creedence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2021, 19:28   #71

Boat: Pearson 365 ketch

Quote:

I’ve considered a bag and bucket type solution that doesn’t have stir rod (this action could foul up the bag IMO) so then disposal could be easier. Then in use it would be poop, then layer of peat or coconut shreds, then keep layering like that until full and then simply tie bag and haul to shore. Are there versions that use bags but still have a stirring action? Is stirring even beneficial?
There is a dry toilet system that is what you describe. The humanure sawdust toilet does not separate the urine and feces but layers sawdust (or other organic materials) under and over the waste. This is usually accomplished with a 5 gallon bucket lined with a plastic bag. This is the smallest and simplest form of the "composting" toilets. When the bucket gets about 3/4 full tie up the bag and toss into the dumpster. It is commercially available as The Luggable Loo.

As with other dry toilet systems, there is no waste odor if operated properly. My experience is that this toilet will need emptying approximately every three days when used by two adults.

More information about the humanure sawdust toilet can be found at https://humanurehandbook.com/humanure_toilet.html. There is a lot of information about this style of toilet on the internet. The Luggable Loo is available at Walmart and sporting stores.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Baba.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	320.8 KB
ID:	241775   Click image for larger version

Name:	Baba 2.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	84.5 KB
ID:	241776  

Phantom Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2021, 20:36   #72

Boat: Bristol 27 #182, MystereS 17' Catamaran #531
Send a message via Skype™ to EarlWer

Most of the installations refer to Airhead, Nature's Head or C-Head.
These are all over $1,000 CAN each.

Has anyone used the Sun-Mar GTG on a sailboat? It's only $629 CAN.
Old 08-07-2021, 20:49   #73

Quote:
So... why are you even here? You don't appear to be a cruiser. It seems your only interest here is to piss on those who have made a different choice that you.

In the words of a previous post: Grow Up .
Old 08-07-2021, 21:05   #74

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phantom Jim View Post
There is a dry toilet system that is what you describe. The humanure sawdust toilet does not separate the urine and feces but layers sawdust (or other organic materials) under and over the waste. ...

As with other dry toilet systems, there is no waste odor if operated properly. My experience is that this toilet will need emptying approximately every three days when used by two adults.
The dry toilet is definitely an interesting option, but in my mind they are quite different than the composting, or if you prefer desiccating heads, we have been talking about.

For example, Nature's and Air Heads typically run between four and six weeks between main tank dumps. That's for two adults, full time. The urine tank needs to be dumped every two to three days (depending on beer consumption ), but that's a much smaller task.

Separation of solids and liquids, along with air flow and good mixing material, is the key to the success of these composting heads.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EarlWer View Post
Most of the installations refer to Airhead, Nature's Head or C-Head.
These are all over $1,000 CAN each.

Has anyone used the Sun-Mar GTG on a sailboat? It's only $629 CAN.
I haven't tried, or even seen, this newer SunMar version. I know they had a previous marine version, but it was only rated for one to two adults, full time.

I knew someone who had installed this older SunMar. After a couple of seasons he swapped it out for a Nature's Head, and was very happy with the choice. But maybe this new SunMar is different.

Another commercial option is C-Head. They cost considerably less than the Air/Nature's versions, and they use non-proprietary holding tanks. The down side of C-head is that they are also smaller than Air/Nature's, so require more frequent dumping. But they seem to work well.
Old 09-07-2021, 01:41   #75

Boat: Cross 24 trimaran

Quote:
Sorry I thought it was a discussion forum.

Maybe I’ll luck out and someone will come along who likes talking abojt their boat. Unlikely though.
Yup. It is Cruisers Forum.

Quote:
fo·rum (fôr′əm)
n. pl. fo·rums also fo·ra (fôr′ə)
a. The public square or marketplace of an ancient Roman city that was the assembly place for judicial activity and public business.
b. A public meeting place for open discussion.
c. A medium for open discussion or voicing of ideas, such as a newspaper, a radio or television program, or a website.
The basic problem is that many of these people have nothing better to do than post all day long (i seem to see the same people on every thread that interests me) and since THEY are finished discussing something, that there is no more to be said.

Can't tell you how many times i have read something along the lines of "Do a search", as if everything has already been said. Try that with your family and see how it goes.

And then there are the language Nazis, but i digress....
Astronomy says we will find a coded signal from outer space. Then we'll KNOW that life exists there, for coded signals aren't by chance. Biology says there are coded genetic signals in every cell, but we KNOW that no intelligence created life. VE0XYZ
longjonsilver is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
oil, posting