Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Yesterday, 18:28   #136
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1968 Islander bahama 24 hull 182, 1963 columbia 29 defender. hull # 60
Re: Composting toilets?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeLima View Post
The 6 gallon tank is elevated because it is a simple gravity drain. Open the valve, the tank empties.
Ok good but now in port but 6 gallons in a lot of pee so if not in port to long not an issue eh
Then there is always the pump boat
Old Today, 12:43   #137

it seems a urine holding tank is quite often utilized in rv's (since a black tank is already right there under the toilet), probably start there w/ your research. personally i would minimize the amount of plumbing, i don't like the idea of having a urine lift/sump pump if you can come up with ANY other option. the urine scale/buildup on hoses etc,--is not insignificant, so you will have a limited lifespan on these systems (hoses etc, --make sure they are accessible & replaceable). keep in mind urine collection is the part of the system with the smell- paying special attention to venting.

maybe for inspiration check out the separette brand 'urine tank' for land use which i believe has a clever-ish 'flush/empty with a (household pressure) garden hose' feature, you might consider a similar approach using a seawater pump etc. vinegar would be a cleaning product of choice as far as heavy cleaning or perhaps a flush for the urine area/bowl, and maybe sump..

now as to the airhead -definitely can't recommend it, even though they have redesigned that model it's main drawback remains; a too small & overly complex #2 bowl shape. if it's like the original airhead there are also inaccessible crevices all over the place underneath, not possible to clean--as an oversight. maybe if you have 'average' body size/s, not larger or smaller than average at all- and never have guests (the airhead requires lessons/instructions and for some-- 'aiming' ..) - sure, then, the airhead might be fine, but overall the airhead still has a terribly designed bowl (yes i have owned one , yes i have also owned/used NH for several years- nh is better than airhead but not that great)..

i don't know if there are any churning options out there that have 'solved' the sloped toilet bowl problem that the airhead , natures head, and ogo share. i suppose DIY or some of the simple (add a scoop of bulking every time) options out of germany etc - like treli no would be the only 'straight wall poop area' options i could personally suggest for 'general public' & guest type usage/ , not just one or 2 regular users...
purvisgs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 12:50   #138
dlj

Boat: Belliure 41

I don't know what the "sloped" toilet bowl problem is. I have the OGO and do not find it at all difficult to keep clean. I've also had many guests on board and while sure, you need to show them how to use the head, there has never been a problem with any of my guests...

dj
dlj is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
oil, posting