Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-08-2012, 08:23   #16
Sponsoring Vendor

Community Sponsor

Boat: FP Athena 38' Poerava
Re: Conser 47

I just spoke to David yesterday. He said that he would welcome any calls to answer any questions you might have about Shearwater. If anyone wants Daves phone number just shoot me a PM and I'll give it to you. But this is a Hot rod sail boat, certainly not for the novice to learn on.
Tellie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2012, 20:31   #17

Thanks again for your answer, i did not find a proper translation for '' hot rod ", but I do understand what you mean... ( Unfortunatly ). You should be right, I have been dreaming to own and use a boat all my life and since a few years, i have been considering boats for sale, but yet none impressed me as Shearwater. I think I love her before knowing a lot about her because first she can be sailed by one person ( a very competent one I understand ), she seems to be full equiped for circumnavigation that I intend to do too, and she is in my price range. This afternoon i read about a sister boat of Shearwater had flip over with 10 persons aboard and thought she could be the kind of boat that takes a lot of tact... I understood too this afternoon as a school answered to me that that mid september if the peak season for huricanes in FL, so I could only get the exam ASA105 about navigation to the Cost Guardsoffice instead of going on with other exams and class i intend to study until I am a certified Capt. ( just for my own satisfaction and safety, I do not intend to work as a Capt. ). I intend to navigate for 10 years or so, so I will not have many boats and I want with her to be able to receive some familly or friends for medium and long cruises. To get miles and experience, I plan to make a turn around North America first which is already a long trip, and I noticed too Shearwater is very fast... If I delay my trip to Fl. for those exams, I will not disturb the owner for nothing, but when I come ( by november), I will certainly consider again Shearwater especialy as the broker who takes care of her sale has taken a contact with me and should write to me again very soon. Thank you again for your piece of advices and for your patience to have read this without knowing me. Best regards, Frank
Frank A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2012, 00:36   #18
cruiser

Boat: Catana 381 - Tuned up

FRANK A,

This is Barry Parkinson who is trying to buy 'Shearwater' the Conser 47' - I have made an offer to buy.

What I want to talk to you about is you buying my Catana 381 (1996) which is in St Augustine Florida.

You are right about 'Shearwater' she is not for a novice. I am ex Tornado Olympic helmsman and she is for will mt sailing skill but, look no further than my boat which comes in a very close 2nd to the Conser, in fact, I cant find anything that comes close to my boat except the Conser.

I am close to Launching my Web-site what CATAMARAN NOT TO BUY, so I know a thing or two.

You might not think so now but my Catana will out point the Conser, even with its Rotating Mast, the Conser will sail faster off the wind but not at 35 deg.

The spec on my Catana is very high, that is why the price is a little high.

Get in touch with me and I will send you all my information. If the Conser is in your price bracket then you will have change if you buy my boat - bazcatanaATyahooDOTcoDOTuk

I will be sorry to she Waking Dream go she is that good, and it has taken the Conser to prize he out of my grasp.

Get in touch

Barry Parkinson
bazcatana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2012, 01:02   #19
cruiser

Boat: Catana 381 - Tuned up

RUNAWAYC47 Hi its Barry Parkinson.

Returning your post about Conser 47' Shearwater and the like.

OK you have put my mind at rest about the 3' 5" Bow free-board, I have asked John Conser to comment but I take your word on it.

Just need to sell my quick Catana 381 that's in Florida and I will be Conser 47' bound.

Thanks for the info

Barry Parkinson
bazcatana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 08:55   #20

Boat: Conser 47 Shearwater

This is David Pollitt, the fellow who just circumnavigated and who now is looking for "Shearwater's" next owner.

It has a lovely powerful rotating wing mast and as I set out from Florida , I wasnt sure how this mast would make it's present felt. By the time I got to S Africa I was quite convinced that in fact this mast was not contributing to any dangerous situation but was helping me keep safe. For instance, during some of the long nights I would awaken and the boat would be stopped and into wind...it was the mast that pulled her and stopped her as it continually searches the wind - ie. when Autopilot would cut out, a rare occurrence. Additionally, I could de-energize the mast by pointing it in the wrong direction thereby having a very easy and effective way to 'reef'.

The only places I felt cautious to the end was in tight maneuvering under motor, as in crowded marinas, always waiting for the almost 100 square feet of mast to affect my trajectory. But in 35000 miles, this never happened.

This strong boat, comfortable boat, with two full cabins/showers/heads treated me well and brought me around the world in an admirable way-she can actually be quite a gentle boat.

This was my personal experience with Shearwater and I only offer it as that...in no way am I an expert on any of this.

There is lots to respond to in the above thread - if anybody would like to call me, please feel free at 561 385 3080 davidpollitt@yahoo.com
dpollitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-09-2012, 16:11   #21

We owned a Conser 47e that we had built in Florida in 2011 (Split Second, hull #9) and sold in 2004. Ours was the last Conser built in the U.S. My wife and I sailed up and down the East Coast and to the Caribbean enjoying every day. When we encountered heavy seas we never felt that the Conser 47 had any problem with the bows, or anything else, as some questioned above, she seemed to do better in heavy seas cutting thru the waves than other cats we have sailed. Never once did we reef our main in some 8,000 miles of Atlantic Ocean sailing. We usually dropped the jib in heavy winds as a convenience because usually one of us was sleeping during long multiday passages. We both hold a Coast Guard Masters License and had our Conser 47 build to Coast Guard specs like the two Consers in Hawaii but Split Second was cruising version, still faster than most cats and easier to sail than most. Our plan was to sail to California and add Split Second to our commercial operation but sold her to a California couple who now have Split Second in Southern California for personal use.
Split Second is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2016, 05:02   #22

Boat: Conser 47

I own Runaway Hull #7. Was Split Second inspected by the Coast Guard while it was being built? I was told by John Conser and the first owner that Runaway in 2001 was inspected during the construction but in speaking with the Coast Guard they say they don't see any record of inspections. If Split Second was inspected do you have any names or documentation? I don't see it listed as inspected on the USCG documentation page?

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
RunawayC47 is offline   Reply With Quote