Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-06-2020, 05:57   #166

Boat: Sail & Power for over 35 years, experience cruising the Eastern Caribbean, Western Med, and more
Re: Corsair Tri’s - Coastal Cruising and the odd crossing?

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomm225 View Post
And this applies how?
I stated quite clearly at the beginning of my post that it would not be directly about the FBoats, and instead it would be to refute your points about "slow, heavy, full keel sailboats being safer in bad weather".

And I stated that this is now quite old, outdated thinking and information.

And then I gave a major example of serious bad weather where the "slow, heavy, full keel sailboats" fared the worst, being rolled multiple times, losing their masts, injuring their crew, etc.

It's quite simple to understand.

And the points are quite obvious.

jmh2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-06-2020, 06:30   #167
Writing Full-Time Since 2014

Boat: PDQ Altair, 32/34

Quote:
Your choice offshore.

Old, slow, heavy full keel or fast 4,000 lb Fboat.

Several of the crew are injured here, but the boat as been setup to deal with the conditions on it's own

Your choice for which is best offshore or for ocean crossings.

More detail.

What you do not know is that with a small drogue to prevent surfing and a small bit of jib, this would be more casual on a multihull, with little yawing. The speed would be a little higher and the crew would be less tired.

Personally, I wouldn't buy a small boat of any sort with crossing oceans in mind. It doesn't sound like fun to me.

I also wonder about buying a smaller, heavy keel boat because it can cross oceans, knowing it will sail like a slow pig (yes it will) 95% of the time.
Old 18-06-2020, 08:52   #168

Boat: Bristol 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by thinwater View Post
What you do not know is that with a small drogue to prevent surfing and a small bit of jib, this would be more casual on a multihull, with little yawing. The speed would be a little higher and the crew would be less tired.

Personally, I wouldn't buy a small boat of any sort with crossing oceans in mind. It doesn't sound like fun to me.

I also wonder about buying a smaller, heavy keel boat because it can cross oceans, knowing it will sail like a slow pig (yes it will) 95% of the time.
Of course I know what a drogue can do or sea anchor. Steven Callahan used a small sea anchor on his ocean crossing with his 6 man Avon life raft

And you wouldn't last long on an Fboat in those conditions in the video above.

Calling small full keel boats names really doesn't help.

Most any catamaran compared to a beach cat sails like a pig also and is slow comparatively speaking.

What I like about my boat is that it's 27' long. It can handle most any weather that I put it in, and it was a good choice to see if I could adapt to slow boat sailing after racing for so many years

It cost me $2,000.

It's is fully equipped.

It's cheap to maintain. It practically sails itself and I've taken lots of chances with it in bad anchorages and sailing in bad weather

Plus it's beautiful!

It can run over docks and hit pilings and come out no worse for wear. It can bounce off the bottom. If grounded, you can jump overboard and push it off

And my main engine, a 5hp 4 stroke outboard was new in 2011 and has worked great.

And......I have standing head room!!!!!

As far as sailing across oceans, that's up to each individual as to which boat they would choose. I haven't thought about that yet.

My first long cruise will be South to Morehead City where I used to live then back up here on the outside. After that maybe head South back to the Gulf again where I used to live and race

I like fin keel monhull sailboats also but I'd hate to destroy one if it had a bolt on keel and I slammed it into something
thomm225 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-2020, 17:39   #169

Hi Franky so based on all the responses, what would be your decision and assessment....would you consider buying a Corsair, and potentially for crossing oceans?

I'm considering buying a smaller Dash 750 for coastal cruising and island hopping here in South-East Asia, but keen to hear your view.

Groete!
Sailing Savana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-2020, 23:25   #170

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailing Savana View Post
Hi Franky so based on all the responses, what would be your decision and assessment....would you consider buying a Corsair, and potentially for crossing oceans?

I'm considering buying a smaller Dash 750 for coastal cruising and island hopping here in South-East Asia, but keen to hear your view.

Groete!

I am convinced that A Corsair of 28ft or larger would be ideal for my intended sailing. That would be sailing from island to island, bay to bay mostly. And when the season changes I can relocate to a more favorable location by crossing the great big pond.

I was concerned about whether the boat would hold up and from most responses am entirely sure that it will. I was aware when starting the thread that comfort during a crossing would not be high on the list of priorities.

Of course if I focus on the responses of the ultimate knowledge of a particular poster I would rather not approach any body of water unless I am inspecting and buying a heavy keelboat like the one he owns as that is the only safe boat to be in.

What I like about the trimaran vs the other are all thing mentioned previously, shallow draft, good performance and minimal heeling. I also like the expanded living area when at anchor out on the nets.

The downside for me though is there are no local trimarans...let alone one being in the market. So I would have to travel to make the purchase and sail from there.

Groete daar.
FrankyB_ZA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-2020, 23:31   #171

Good overview...

I looked at the local SA Gumtree this morning and also saw nothing advertised.

Do take into account its not that expensive to buy abroad and ship in a 40ft container to SA...not sure though till what size that could be done?
Sailing Savana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-06-2020, 08:35   #172

Boat: Seawind 1000xl

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankyB_ZA View Post
I am convinced that A Corsair of 28ft or larger would be ideal for my intended sailing.

SNIP

What I like about the trimaran vs the other are all thing mentioned previously, shallow draft, good performance and minimal heeling. I also like the expanded living area when at anchor out on the nets.

The downside for me though is there are no local trimarans...let alone one being in the market. So I would have to travel to make the purchase and sail from there.

Groete daar.
The biggest attraction an fboat has for me is they are stupid fun to sail. Blasting past a 60 foot monohull with two fingers on a tiller always results with a big smile on my face.

As for buying any boat most of the time it involves not just a single trip but multiple trips. Not sure why you would sail the boat from where you purchased it since one of the big advantages fboats have is you can put them on a trailer and get it where you want much faster than sailing.
tomfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-06-2020, 11:15   #173

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomfl View Post
As for buying any boat most of the time it involves not just a single trip but multiple trips. Not sure why you would sail the boat from where you purchased it since one of the big advantages fboats have is you can put them on a trailer and get it where you want much faster than sailing.
The big problem, specific to me, is that there are no trimarans for sale in South Africa. There are as many in Florida as there are in the rest of the States, and there are probably as many available in Florida as there are for sale in the rest of the world.

So how do I get a trimaran I can bay and island hop with? I ask for favors to inspect a few, make a shortlist and make a trip or two to the US. When I have found a boat I can sail it from the location of purchase to a cruising ground of which there are lots just south of the keys.

If I buy a US boat but don’t live there, what good a trailer? Unless I ship the boat and trailer in a container or two at great cost to where I live on the other side of the Altantic pond.
FrankyB_ZA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-06-2020, 11:31   #174

Boat: Seawind 1000xl

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankyB_ZA View Post
The big problem, specific to me, is that there are no trimarans for sale in South Africa. There are as many in Florida as there are in the rest of the States, and there are probably as many available in Florida as there are for sale in the rest of the world.

So how do I get a trimaran I can bay and island hop with? I ask for favors to inspect a few, make a shortlist and make a trip or two to the US. When I have found a boat I can sail it from the location of purchase to a cruising ground of which there are lots just south of the keys.

If I buy a US boat but don’t live there, what good a trailer? Unless I ship the boat and trailer in a container or two at great cost to where I live on the other side of the Altantic pond.
I am living in Florida but am/was looking at foldable tris in Europe till COVID-19 put an end to my plans. The idea was to have a boat to cruise the canals in Europe and a little in the Med during hurricane season in Florida and then go back to Florida to cruise in the Bahamas. The thing was I found the prices for fboats and Dragonfly tris cheaper in Europe than in the US. You may want to look into buying in Europe. I would almost bet you could ship the boat and trailer by rail from Europe to South Africa. If what you are looking for is a small coastal cruiser that will not be trailered I would consider a small cat as well as a small tri. I have seen lots of nice cats come out of South Africa. Best of luck in your search.
tomfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-06-2020, 15:38   #175
smj

Boat: TRT 1200

[quote[So does sailing 15 miles offshore to an Island you cannot see singlehanded count?

I enjoyed multiple races on my 17' Nacra to both Horn and Ship Islands off the Mississippi Coast.QUOTE]

So you sailed in Mississippi Sound, not offshore we call that bay sailing.
smj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-06-2020, 15:48   #176

Boat: Bristol 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by smj View Post
[quote[So does sailing 15 miles offshore to an Island you cannot see singlehanded count?

I enjoyed multiple races on my 17' Nacra to both Horn and Ship Islands off the Mississippi Coast.QUOTE]

So you sailed in Mississippi Sound, not offshore we call that bay sailing.
Call it what you want.

It's was just what I started with.

I think the run to Tangier Island at 16 years old was dangerous on a 14' aluminum power boat. No radio.

On a beach cat, you can always flip the boat and lay on the tramp until the weather subsides. No so on a 14' aluminum boat

To be honest, I think the key is to learn balance on the boat, tides, weather, etc at a young age.

The more you know, the better.

Folks can boast about long distance offshore sailing all they want, but as most know the tricky part is coming back in especially if you don't have a chart and have never entered the inlet you plan to go thru

I'll always remember searching for the inlet off north carolina and finally seeing a boat come out.......this was Beaufort Inlet near Morehead city NC
thomm225 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 20-06-2020, 16:10   #177
smj

Boat: TRT 1200

Quote:
Like I said, I retired from sailing toy boats.

Fast is fun though to a point.

I like the way these old full keel boats just hang in there when the weather turns sour.

It's pretty neat to see and there is a nice place to go and get some sleep and have standing head room when one needs it.

I hope I have been able to help you guys out a bit here..........I hope it's sunny tomorrow. This is getting monotonous

Have you noticed it’s probably been decades since full keeled boats have been seriously produced?
smj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-06-2020, 07:50   #178

Boat: GibSea 472

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmh2002 View Post
I stated quite clearly at the beginning of my post that it would not be directly about the FBoats, and instead it would be to refute your points about "slow, heavy, full keel sailboats being safer in bad weather".

And I stated that this is now quite old, outdated thinking and information.

And then I gave a major example of serious bad weather where the "slow, heavy, full keel sailboats" fared the worst, being rolled multiple times, losing their masts, injuring their crew, etc.

It's quite simple to understand.

And the points are quite obvious.

I would add my own experience that seems to confirm that heavy boats suffer more in a blow. Sailing from Newport to New York City, with my relatively light 47 footer(a GibSea 472) along with a friend sailing his own Corbin 39(heavy double ender) we were caught in a norwester with some significant wind and waves. Upon arriving In New York, without any trouble I waited for the Corbin. He arrived more than on day later, shaken, and he told me that he was worried about me and my light open transom boat. A strong believer in heavy (translate in strong!) displacement, boats, he was Pooped and had his deep cockpit swamped many times by large waves during the blow at night. He was surprised that not a drop of water came on board, and for us it was an easy crossing, maybe a bit rough. Heavy displacement make for a confortable ride most of the time, with well damped movements in a seaway. But This precise slow motion(induced by larger moments of inertia) becomes a liability in bad weather when the boat can't lift fast enough to escape the breaching waves. So I would admit that heavy displacement gives a better ride, but is less seaworthy in big waves .
Elie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-06-2020, 09:06   #179
Writing Full-Time Since 2014

Boat: PDQ Altair, 32/34

Quote:
Of course I know what a drogue can do or sea anchor. Steven Callahan used a small sea anchor on his ocean crossing with his 6 man Avon life raft

And you wouldn't last long on an Fboat in those conditions in the video above.

Calling small full keel boats names really doesn't help.

Most any catamaran compared to a beach cat sails like a pig also and is slow comparatively speaking.

What I like about my boat is that it's 27' long. It can handle most any weather that I put it in, and it was a good choice to see if I could adapt to slow boat sailing after racing for so many years

It cost me $2,000.

It's is fully equipped.

It's cheap to maintain. It practically sails itself and I've taken lots of chances with it in bad anchorages and sailing in bad weather

Plus it's beautiful!

It can run over docks and hit pilings and come out no worse for wear. It can bounce off the bottom. If grounded, you can jump overboard and push it off

And my main engine, a 5hp 4 stroke outboard was new in 2011 and has worked great.

And......I have standing head room!!!!!

As far as sailing across oceans, that's up to each individual as to which boat they would choose. I haven't thought about that yet.

My first long cruise will be South to Morehead City where I used to live then back up here on the outside. After that maybe head South back to the Gulf again where I used to live and race

I like fin keel monhull sailboats also but I'd hate to destroy one if it had a bolt on keel and I slammed it into something

Have you used a drogue in gale conditions? Have you used one on a multihull?

The purpose is not to severely slow the boat, only to steady the speed and reduce yawing. Because of the low weight and shallow underbody, they are quite effective on multis, with much lower forces than monos. I have tested most brands. In those conditions, I would have a Gale Rider out.

It's OK to say "I don't know." I say that on monohull questions all the time. Normally, I would listen instead of post.

(I started out on a Prindle 19 with a chute, so know speed. I've owned a variety of multis, including F-boats and cruising cats. I've experienced waves like that, as have many multi sailors.)
Old 27-06-2020, 16:16   #180

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

This thread has been temporarily closed. You who were over the top sarcastic, that is against our rules, and you know it. Some of you have had strikes for rudeness before.

All the moderators will hold all the members to the rules, but we need you all to be mainly self moderating.

Just follow the rules and be respectful in addressing other members. I'm sure you all can do that.

Tags
corsair, cruising