Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-06-2020, 18:17   #106
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Multihulls - cats and Tris
Re: Corsair Tri’s - Coastal Cruising and the odd crossing?

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomm225 View Post
Plus, like I said, they aren't built to handle rough seas especially offshore. That's quite obvious at a glance.
I sailed a F36 in the southern ocean and have raced a C36 in many off shore passage races. Apparently I am lucky to be alive.

20 Years ago Mike Horn sailed a C28 round the world in an adventure called latitude zero
Quote:
On the 3rd of June in 1999 at around 18h 00, local time, Mike Horn left Gabon on the West African coast for the first step of an expedition called Latitude Zero. Mike sailed the equator single handed aboard his new Corsair 28. "I'm more than satisfied - the boat and all of the technical equipment ran very well, even during the most difficult moments." - Mike Horn
Factor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-06-2020, 18:40   #107
smj

Boat: TRT 1200

Quote:
We'll sometimes you have to have a big ego to get anywhere in this world especially if you come from an area that was totally isolated from the rest of the world until the Chesapeake Bay Bridge Tunnel was completed in 1964.

We talked differently with a major accent similar to Tangier Islanders but not as bad

My Mom was one of the few working women there (she was an RN) and she worked with doctors from "across the bay" while most all the other women were stay at home Mom's and wives of farmers and watermen,

My ego most probably came from her and the things she said etc. She always questioned the dumber doctors and their opinions

I was alone a lot and on my own at age 10 or so and became somewhat of a hoodlum.

You crossed the bay on the ferry back then.

Very strange back then to have a working Mom that made more than your Dad

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Little..._Charles_Ferry

So......you have a big ego but no experience in the things you speak about.......reminds me of a politician....
smj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-06-2020, 03:17   #108

Boat: Bristol 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by smj View Post
So......you have a big ego but no experience in the things you speak about.......reminds me of a politician....
Even a beginner can see that some boats are not built for certain things.

It's all about the view though whether you are on the water or off. (and your health of course)

Photo Left: Seaside ESVA

Photo Right: Bayside ESVA

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Wachapreague.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	108.1 KB
ID:	217377   Click image for larger version

Name:	Near Smith's Beach.jpg
Views:	73
Size:	340.0 KB
ID:	217378  

thomm225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-06-2020, 03:49   #109

Boat: 2019 Seawind 1160 Lite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Factor View Post
I sailed a F36 in the southern ocean and have raced a C36 in many off shore passage races. Apparently I am lucky to be alive.

20 Years ago Mike Horn sailed a C28 round the world in an adventure called latitude zero
I dont remember which year, but one completed the Transpac single handed as well.

I also remember someone from the Texas fleet launching on east coast and sailing a Corsair 28 to Bermuda one year?

When we were in Bahamas in 2016, there were two Corsairs cruising thru the islands that had launched from Florida. Were having a great time. Both were 31"s. And whereas it took us three weeks to get our Seawind 1000 cat from Texas to east coast of Florida, it only took us 30 hrs of driving to haul our Corsair 28R from Texas to Key West, on a trailer, behind my pickup. We werent there to cruise, but to race One Design in Key West Race Week against the likes of Randy Smyth, Jay and Pease Glaser, Keith Notary, David Calvert, and Bob Gleason. That field was quite humbling!
sailjumanji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-06-2020, 03:59   #110

Quote:

The Atlantic has been crossed on a 19' Beach Cat and a small foldable Klepper Kayak also but it isn't recommended.

Corsairs are simply not built for constant offshore sailing.

Any boat can sail offshore or cross an ocean in the right conditions but if the weather changes and things turn for the worst, it's nice to be on a seaworthy vessel.

Steven Callahan cross 1800 miles of the Atlantic Ocean on a 6 man Avon Life Raft (after his lightly built 21' racing boat broke in half) but it's not recommended. It took him 76 days.

Btw, that is a very good story

https://www.amazon.com/Adrift-Sevent.../dp/0618257322
Old 15-06-2020, 04:20   #111

Quote:
Originally Posted by Training Wheels View Post
I get it now. You don’t know anything about Coraairs, but because of your big ego, you feel like you have to share your opinion. Sounds kind of like a troll to me. You also have no desire to cruise, as you can’t slow down and stop working. Hey, I really appreciate it, somebody’s gotta pay for my Social Security. So, again no disrespect intended, why do you spend so much time on a cruising forum?
I like boats and learning about cruising. I'll start cruising again this weekend or next

I was delayed this year getting my boat ready because my new company required all techs and management to get at a minimum a Comptia A+ Certification in 90 days. I have now completed that. Next it's Network +

Also, I don't mind paying for your Social Security since most all my education was paid for by the American people. GI Bill (BA History) and my job is not bad

I certainly like the old full keel boats though but miss the speed and performance of beach cats.

My 15 year old son and I sailed along side an F25C for maybe 25 miles in 1997 in the 100 mile RTI race out of Ft Walton Beach. There were 82 boats on the starting line that year at 0700 in the morning. We finished at 1930

We were on a Nacra 6.0. No spinnaker at the time. I had only just bought the boat a year earlier brand new. The winds rotated perfectly that day but never got above around 12 knots
Old 15-06-2020, 08:26   #112

Boat: Seawind 1000xl

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankyB_ZA View Post
Hi all,

SNIP
Today’s question is: Why should a Corsair not be used to cross the big blue? That’s the info I cannot locate.

Please...be nice in your replies.

Cheers
As I posted earlier many flavors of fboats have crossed oceans.

Maybe more to the point Ian Farrier's designs, and designs inspired by him, are far and away the most popular trimarans by sales numbers. The reason for this is they provide a lot of features customers want.

One advantage fboats have over other trimarans is bang for the buck. They have a reasonable price point and hold it well; in fact unlike many other boats it is quite possible to buy an fboat, use it for some time and sell it for close to, or even more, than the original purchase price.

It is indisputable that fboats are often the fastest boats in the harbor. Under many\most conditions they offer a comfortable ride many folks new to sailing appreciate. Which brings me to my next point.

Conventional wisdom is open ocean passages have easy routes and hard ones. A C36 was single handed in the TransPac, on what is often described as an easy route. Same thing goes for a lot of East to West passages in the trades which means down wind sailing; conditions an fboat will excel in. On the other hand going West to East in the Southern Ocean is a tall order for any boat.

Maybe more to the point in answering your question any blue water crossing's success is more dependent on the captain's skill than the boat. There is no reason a skilled captain could not sail lots of fboats in blue water, but that is true of many boats. On the other hand boats specifically designed for blue water passages would likely encounter disasters if the captain was not skilled.
tomfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-06-2020, 15:34   #113

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankyB_ZA View Post
Today’s question is: Why should a Corsair not be used to cross the big blue?
There are a few reasons which I didn't know (or think about) until I joined this forum, bought an old cruising boat, and cruised locally for a few years.

I just never thought about it in detail until I had this boat and spent days on the water in some very rough conditions

First, the boat is not strong enough for an ocean crossing unless the weather is perfect.

Second, crossing an ocean isn't like going out in big wind for a few hours and sailing. (or racing)

Third, after days and weeks sailing constantly, folks get tired.

If a storm comes up, what would you do on an F Boat if everyone was exhausted? Or if someone got hurt?

Now, even on my $2,000 Bristol 27 monohull, I have 2700 lbs ballast 4' down

The boat is 8' wide.

If I get tired or I hurt myself, I heave too, go below and hope for the best and still have a pretty good chance of survival

Or I lay a hull and go below and pass out from exhaustion and depend on my boat to handle it.

You can do neither of these on an F boat.

It's cool to talk about how fast these boats are but speed wouldn't be much help in a survival situation which is why the maxi cats in the early 2000's RTW race avoided the weather
Old 15-06-2020, 15:34   #114
smj

And you know all of this from your vast F boat experience.
Old 15-06-2020, 15:46   #115

Quote:
And you know all of this from your vast F boat experience.
Sort of. Its from the valuable experience I gained racing against them and crewing on them when I lived in Pensacola, FL

As I said, one glance this weekend told me all I needed to know. (which I was just confirming)

But they are cool boats and very fast.

I enjoyed watching Randy Smyth make his F25C go fast back in 1997 during the RTI race I spoke of earlier when we sailed along side him for 25 miles and entered Pensacola pass together coming back in from the Gulf

Btw, he was on Cam Lewis's Maxi Cat back in the day and they would put him on the helm when they needed speed

https://www.outsideonline.com/188854...racer-go#close

"Cam is kinda crazy," says Randy Smyth, a champion catamaran sailor who now runs Lewis's sailmaking program and will be aboard Lewis's boat for The Race. "This race is exactly the kind of thing the guy was made to do. He'll be focused on every wave, sailing that 25,000 miles like he's racing beach cats."

You remember the 90's right. If not, here is my crew and son trying to figure things out at age 15. We are at another regatta in Mississippi in October same year just a couple weeks after the RTI race in Ft Walton Beach, FL

This time we are racing our Hobie 16 against 17 other hobie 16's. We won this regatta with 4 firsts and 1 second. At Sardis Lake, Mississippi
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Martin 15.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	65.5 KB
ID:	217429  
Old 15-06-2020, 15:47   #116
smj

Quote:
As I said, one glance this weekend told me all I needed to know.

But they are cool boats and very fast.

I enjoyed watching Randy Smyth make his F25C go fast back in 1997 during the RTI race I spoke of earlier

Btw, he was on Cam Lewis's Maxi Cat back in the day and they would put him on the helm when they needed speed

https://www.outsideonline.com/188854...racer-go#close

"Cam is kinda crazy," says Randy Smyth, a champion catamaran sailor who now runs Lewis's sailmaking program and will be aboard Lewis's boat for The Race. "This race is exactly the kind of thing the guy was made to do. He'll be focused on every wave, sailing that 25,000 miles like he's racing beach cats."

You should be a surveyor
Old 15-06-2020, 16:04   #117

Quote:
You should be a surveyor
I'm that also.

We took a surveying course when I was in the Marines to set up our PAR Radars properly along side the runway.

I was a radar tech in a deployable air traffic control facility for landing planes/jets/harriers/helos (Hueys back then) in remote areas

My E-9 boss at the time used to say that beginner pilots were in the Harriers because the had "Training Wheels."

The Harrier though is one bad ass jet! (but they do kick up lots of dirt and debris that you as a tech would have to deal with on your systems)

Old 15-06-2020, 16:33   #118

Hobie 16 playing around with F Boat

Old 15-06-2020, 18:09   #119

For a guy that claims to be so busy, it sure seems you have way too much free time on your hands.
Training Wheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-06-2020, 21:21   #120
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Multihulls - cats and Tris

Quote:

First, the boat is not strong enough for an ocean crossing unless the weather is perfect.
see what i said earlier

Quote:
I sailed a F36 in the southern ocean and have raced a C36 in many off shore passages including races. Apparently I am lucky to be alive.

Factor is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
corsair, cruising