Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-02-2014, 18:58   #1

Cost for Bottom Painting on a Cat

Hi All,

I'm hoping someone might be able to help out with some general information. I am having Progressive Marine in St. Pete haul out my Lagoon 420 for a bottom repaint.

First question, Does anyone have experience with Progressive that they could share with me. Good work? Good prices?

Second question, Does $5800 for the haulout, sandblasting, epoxy, full service bottom job sound reasonable? I've owned the boat for a little over a year and this is my first haul out and bottom painting.

Any advice would be helpful!
“So, if I asked you about art, you'd probably give me the skinny on every art book ever written…But I bet you can't tell me what it smells like in the Sistine Chapel. You've never actually stood there and looked up at that beautiful ceiling.”
Blc7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2014, 19:40   #2

Boat: Manta 40 "Reach"
Re: Cost for Bottom Painting on a Cat

Why are they sandblasting and epoxying? Do you have blisters, delamination or some other type of hull structural problem? If not, then don't do it.

Don't sandblast at all - this is generally a somewhat destructive method that can really do a job on your glass if not done with high skill. Instead, if you need to remove paint, blast with soda or another soft medium. If sand is the only option and you must strip, make very sure they know what they are doing and are not just sending out the teenager on school break to do the icky job.

Mark

You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.
colemj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2014, 19:47   #3

He saw a couple of small blisters. He recommended the full treatment (sand blasting, etc.) No delamination.

He also gave me a price of around $5000 for just sanding the bottom and putting on a barrier coat prior to painting.

For the routine bottom job it was about $3800.

Again, I'm new at this and I just want to make sure this is reasonable. I'm now wondering if the sand blasting is unnecessary.
“So, if I asked you about art, you'd probably give me the skinny on every art book ever written…But I bet you can't tell me what it smells like in the Sistine Chapel. You've never actually stood there and looked up at that beautiful ceiling.”
Old 20-02-2014, 21:06   #4

How old is your boat? Never ever in a million year blast a fibreglass boat! Your gel coat will be destroyed period no matter what is used!
A couple of blisters, if treated properly are no big deal. Don't barrier coat unless you absolutely have to, and by that I mean you have a lot of blisters . I have an islander 37 MS. I did the bottom myself this last fall. There were a few blisters and the previous bottom paint was falling off in flakes. The guy at the yard (who has tons of experience and is highly regarded) said to wait a few year and see what happens. He said (it's taken 30 years to develop those blisters. Fix them and wait till next haul out and see if it's gotten worse and decide then.
It sounds like these guys just want your money. In the end it wouldn't hurt to do a barrier coat, but why unless you have to.
Campbellcruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2014, 21:58   #5

Boat: Newport 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Campbellcruiser View Post
How old is your boat? Never ever in a million year blast a fibreglass boat! Your gel coat will be destroyed period no matter what is used!
I'm no expert by any means, but I was under the impression that sodablasting was, when done properly, safe on the gelcoat, and perhaps that's what the yard had in mind for the OP? Not saying it's true, and if they DO want to sandblast instead of soda, I would definitely stop unless there was major issues to address.

Unfortunately, I don't have any experience with yard prices for the job at hand though, so I'm not opinion for that.
CharlzO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2014, 01:30   #6

$3800 for a "routine bottom job"? sounds expensive. But. What does it include? Does it include haulout, waterblasting and hardstand fees? Do they do everything, including moving the boat?

Prices also vary wildly from place to place.
44'cruisingcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2014, 02:05   #7
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Multihulls - cats and Tris

The bigger question is why does it have osmosis?
Factor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2014, 03:39   #8

Boat: 11meter Power catamaran

Get another Quote /opinion.
downunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2014, 03:50   #9
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 63 custom alloy sloop,macwester26,prout snowgoose 37 elite catamaran!

i did my 37 ft prout for under $200 using 3 gal of hempel af,lift in and out aprox $400.
i took 3 days doing it my self,probably 12hrs labor in total
atoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2014, 05:45   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by 44'cruisingcat View Post
$3800 for a "routine bottom job"? sounds expensive. But. What does it include? Does it include haulout, waterblasting and hardstand fees? Do they do everything, including moving the boat?

Prices also vary wildly from place to place.
It does include everything.
Old 21-02-2014, 06:08   #11
Writing Full-Time Since 2014

Boat: PDQ Altair, 32/34

$3800 for a routine bottom?

Leave.

I agree that for a few blisters I would simply repair them with local sanding and check at the next haul (2 years). You will have learned more about good shops by then as well.
Old 21-02-2014, 06:21   #12

Mono here. A short story: Old boat. Lots of bottom paint. A few blisters but otherwise good. Friend had a soda blaster so I was ready to blast the bottom with soda (at a substantial discount as this was a bro deal). Then the soda blaster went belly up literally the day before haulout. Hauled anyways and did the bottom. Then a well-respected vet halfway through the bottom job did a gratis survey of the hull and said. I don't know why in the world you'd strip the bottom. It's fair has a ton of bottom paint on it and essentially no blisters. It's not like you're a racer trying to save a few pounds. Fix the blisters (which had already been done) paint it and dunk it. Check again in 2 to 3 years.

Well that's what I did and guess what. It's been a couple years and the bottom is great. At least in my case unless it needs to be done it may be better left alone and monitored closely.
Lojanica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2014, 06:25   #13

Thanks, everyone, for your comments. I just didn't want to go the "cheap" route if it was really important to get the full job done ("Penny wise and pound foolish," as they say). This is our home and we will be doing some extensive cruising.

I will probably just do the standard bottom job and check it again in a couple of years.
Old 21-02-2014, 09:24   #14

Even if you stick with the standard bottom job, shop around. $3800 seems pretty high.

Assuming ablative pain, if you can find a yard that will let you work, you should be able to get it down around $1000 (or less) including haul out. Messy job but for $2800 in savings...
valhalla360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2014, 16:54   #15

Have it hauled out, pay someone to fix the blisters, watch and learn for next time, and paint the bottom yourself. As long as you can read and follow instructions you are good to go. Like painting a wall in a house. And yes shop around for prices. I had a 27 ft hauled, stripped (had old bad bottom paint that was falling off and yes I was new to boating) through hulls replaced, fibreglass work done and ablative applied all for $2000. Most of that was the labour to scrap/sand the bottom fair. Shop around.
Campbellcruiser is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bottom paint, paint