Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-01-2023, 19:11   #76

Re: Cost to Cut Mast for ICW

Quote:
Originally Posted by smj View Post
50’ clearance bridges between Pensacola and the cutoff to Port St Joe in the Panhandle of Fl.
Very few ICW boats going up and down the east coast make it that far. So yes, you can find a stray 50ft bridge (also can find some if you take side trips off the AICW) but getting under 65ft will address 98% of the air draft issue and no it isn't going to impact resale value.
valhalla360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-2023, 01:26   #77

Boat: CSY 44 Tall rig Sold!

A more simple solution, make a sleeve at the top section, make quick connectors for all the dc vhf ,wind ,wiring , etc.., probably the Leopard sport a Zspar, easy ,maybe to found a mast top head insert when you travel at the ICW.

If you decide to sell the boat? join the top section , connect all the wiring and voila...
neilpride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-2023, 05:21   #78
smj

Boat: TRT 1200

Quote:
Originally Posted by valhalla360 View Post
Very few ICW boats going up and down the east coast make it that far. So yes, you can find a stray 50ft bridge (also can find some if you take side trips off the AICW) but getting under 65ft will address 98% of the air draft issue and no it isn't going to impact resale value.

Better to know there are bridges on the ICW with less clearance than 65’ than not know? Could ruin ones trip plans.
It will no doubt impact resale both in a positive and negative way depending upon the buyer.
smj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-01-2023, 16:52   #79

Boat: Leopard 38 Catamaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happ View Post
Question. You posted this on Jan 16th. Apparently you already had this in hand. So why the question?

Secondly is the 2 1/2’ going to be enough. ICW bridge clearance is 65’?
That was not my post.
louielouie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-01-2023, 17:01   #80

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcon12000 View Post
So can I ask (going to anyway)

How many trips down the ICW have you made?

Reason I ask is most of not all the good stops are associated with a nice Inlet.

I don’t have your height problem my mast is 55’ and I don’t go inside. It’s simply not fun and definitely not what a sailboat is designed for. The wear and tear on the engine(s) alone is comparable to a year of cruising in a few weeks. Ten hours of minding the helm in a narrow ditch gets old fast even with the autopilot remote in my hand. Sitting in one location waiting for a window uses up no more time than taking off inside. My buddies can get four days ahead of me on the inside and I pass them on the outside on day 6 still on 3/4 of a tank of diesel.

I’m not saying you’re crazy it’s your boat but speaking as a sailer who has done the trip many times this melts my brain. I’d sell the boat unmodified and buy a trawler unless you’re completely sure this is the boat you’ll own for the next ten years. You’re going to turn it into one anyway since it’s going to perform like it’s fully reefed in light wind. When you go to sell the market will be inexperienced boaters and folks who want the price to restore it to factory spec deducted from the price. Which is something I would be more concerned about than the cost to modify it. Restoration will be considerably more expensive it’s essentially an entire new rig.
Thanks for the response. This boat ordered new also had the option of an ICW mast, ours isn't. As some have mentioned it's good to be able to continue on ICW if weather conditions are not safe/ideal going outside.
Old 29-01-2023, 04:33   #81

Boat: Tartan 40
Cost to Cut Mast for ICW

LouieLouie keep us posted. While I can’t say I’d be happy to de power any boat, forget the naysayers. I’ve done offshore and inshore sailing and the key to both is that the journey is part of the destination. So, I haven’t yet done the ICW south of Norfolk but look forward to it someday as I hear the scenery and towns are worth it.
I’m happy to have under 60 foot clearance naturally but yes there are 55 footers I would like to clear (Cape May canal eg)

But on a schedule, with sun up to sundown “hammer down” motoring, I’m sure it’s not much fun.

Being able to skip Hatteras rounding in the late fall is worth it along IMO
malbert73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-2023, 10:01   #82

Boat: Privilege 435

Oh I may have forgotten to mention. I kept the section I took out so that I (or the next owner) can weld it back in in case we want it.

Still happy with our decision.

Applicable right now in the keys since we want to be on the gulf side for part of the trip. Couldn’t do it otherwise.
Old 04-02-2023, 03:11   #83

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwidman View Post
It is apparent that a lot of people responding here are not able to answer the question, but felt compelled to voice their personal opinions on why this would be a bad idea or why they don't like to travel on the AICW (they probably never have so don't know what they are talking about).

I cannot quote a cost for this modification, but my suggestion would be to contact two or three capable boatyards and get quotes. The only price that really matters is the price that you will have to pay.
Thank you!
Old 04-02-2023, 04:38   #84

Quote:
Originally Posted by MicHughV View Post
Forgot to add, right at the mouth of the St. Johns River is the St. Johns Boat Company, who can likely take care of all your needs.

Could not estimate a cost, but likely several 1,000

I had a bottom paint done here for a cat. Was the worst experience and will never go back. The entire top of my deck had overspray from another paint tent. They screwed up my boat name decal on the side of the hull. Not a place o would consider next time. Marine center in in st Augustine is not perfect but much better then that place.
rtoner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2023, 07:48   #85

Boat: Privilege 435

Quote:
Originally Posted by louielouie View Post
Current mast height is 70' Catamaran. Appreciate insight if anyone's done it recently. Looking for ballpark on cost, not debate on sail performance etc., thank you.

I'm considering same. I sent you a PM with additional information. Good Luck.
Lavender54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2023, 06:01   #86

Quote:
Originally Posted by SailingHarmonie View Post
Your numbers are very reasonable. And they just re-enforce my suggestion that OP just throw away the mast and use the $15,000 to buy diesel fuel for their new motorboat. They would probably be hard pressed to burn that much in 10 years.

You can not make an argument that it would be a bad economic choice--especially for a sailor scared of sailing in the ocean.
Presumptuous and to the contrary, not scared of sailing in the ocean. Option to continue ICW South instead of waiting for weather window outside. Also revisit very nice towns/spots along the way.
Old 05-02-2023, 06:02   #87

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lavender54 View Post
I'm considering same. I sent you a PM with additional information. Good Luck.
Appreciate it, will do.
Old 05-02-2023, 06:11   #88

Quote:
Originally Posted by John_Trusty View Post
I agree that motoring any distance on the ICW is a real pain. As the owner of an ICW-compliant 63 foot mast, however, the real benefit is not in doing long passages in the ditch, but selecting which anchorages, moorings, or docks I can go to once inside the inlet. As this similar thread comments on (https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums...ng-271480.html) some marinas or moorings just are not available to a mast over 64 foot, no matter how fast you got to some inlet. Come into Indian River Lagoon (Palm Beach) and you will stay there or go south through bascule bridges - no choice. One criteria for buying my boat was ICW compliance, and the cut-down mast is not uncommon a feature in Florida.
This is it exactly and on topic, thank you.
Old 05-02-2023, 06:21   #89

Boat: Farr 40 (Racing), Contest 43 (Cruising)

This becomes a long thread. My final 2cents are:
- ICW friendly is <55’
- for the OP it is a significant cut and modification of the mast, all rigging, sails etc. The cost alone imho is $20-30K and very few boatyards can do a reasonable critical job like that.
- a real sailor will never buy a sailboat where the original rigging has been modified by 16’. But we all know there are enough people buying sailboats to mostly motor….
- remember the cat performance will be significantly compromised after such a change, not only in speed.

My original recommendation is still to remove the mast and store/deliver until ready to sail again. - it can take years…
Old 05-02-2023, 08:12   #90
smj

Boat: TRT 1200
Cost to Cut Mast for ICW

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeValency View Post
This becomes a long thread. My final 2cents are:
- ICW friendly is &lt;55’
- for the OP it is a significant cut and modification of the mast, all rigging, sails etc. The cost alone imho is $20-30K and very few boatyards can do a reasonable critical job like that.
- a real sailor will never buy a sailboat where the original rigging has been modified by 16’. But we all know there are enough people buying sailboats to mostly motor….
- remember the cat performance will be significantly compromised after such a change, not only in speed.

My original recommendation is still to remove the mast and store/deliver until ready to sail again. - it can take years…

You didn’t read the entire thread?
1) the amount cut of the mast will be 6’ not 16’ as he wants to clear the 65’ bridges not the 55’ bridges.
2) there would probably be no need to recut the jib or replace any standing rigging as the cut would be taken of the top of the mast above the hounds.
3) I had a quote of $2k to cut down my carbon fiber mast, rebuild the carbon masthead to accommodate the sheaves for main halyard and topping lift and to relocate the exit point for the spinnaker halyard. I’m sure the whole job could be completed for way less that $20k
4) with the original jib and what’s probably a pin headed main changed into a square top the sail area loss would be at a minimum, but yes it would slightly affect the performance.
In my opinion if one is to keep a boat on the East coast of the US the ability to do the ICW is not only a convenience but also a big plus when it comes to safety.
smj is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
icw, mast