Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-02-2023, 10:30   #91

Boat: Farr 40 (Racing), Contest 43 (Cruising)
Re: Cost to Cut Mast for ICW

Quote:
Originally Posted by smj View Post
You didn’t read the entire thread?
1) the amount cut of the mast will be 6’ not 16’ as he wants to clear the 65’ bridges not the 55’ bridges.
2) there would probably be no need to recut the jib or replace any standing rigging as the cut would be taken of the top of the mast above the hounds.
3) I had a quote of $2k to cut down my carbon fiber mast, rebuild the carbon masthead to accommodate the sheaves for main halyard and topping lift and to relocate the exit point for the spinnaker halyard. I’m sure the whole job could be completed for way less that $20k
4) with the original jib and what’s probably a pin headed main changed into a square top the sail area loss would be at a minimum, but yes it would slightly affect the performance.
In my opinion if one is to keep a boat on the East coast of the US the ability to do the ICW is not only a convenience but also a big plus when it comes to safety.
To be able to go through the ICW Florida to at least Chesapeake Bay you need to clear 55’ fixed bridges. I’ve done that in 2021.

That’s 16’ cut or you gain very little in motoring there.

Please tell me (you can in private) who did all that work for you for $2k. I may have some jobs for that one. Not to cut my 53’ mast for sure.

So, a 16’ cut is significant by all means.

But it’s ok. This thread can easily go for few more months or years. ��
Old 05-02-2023, 11:15   #92
smj

Boat: TRT 1200

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeValency View Post
To be able to go through the ICW Florida to at least Chesapeake Bay you need to clear 55’ fixed bridges. I’ve done that in 2021.

That’s 16’ cut or you gain very little in motoring there.

Please tell me (you can in private) who did all that work for you for $2k. I may have some jobs for that one. Not to cut my 53’ mast for sure.

So, a 16’ cut is significant by all means.

But it’s ok. This thread can easily go for few more months or years. ��

To do the entire Florida ICW you need to be able to clear 50’ bridges, but once again I believe he stated he was interested in only clearing the 65’ spans.
I’ll see if I can dig up the name of the composites guy that gave us the quote. He’s located in Seabrook Texas.
smj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2023, 12:07   #93

KISS principle.

Geez, just have the 70 foot tall mast taken down and then turn the sailed Cat into a motored boat for the duration of your touring transit along the Atlantic Coast Ditch and thence when one is done traveling inland, have the original mast and rigging stepped and turn your Cat into a sailed Cat and go out into the ocean where she belongs.

Ship the mast to the location where you intend to discontinue your inland water way tours to have it restepped, albeit be sure that yard is not on the wrong side of a less than 70' bridge or power line.

Bring lots of mosquito spray as the ICW can be buggy.

Bon voyaging.
Montanan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2023, 12:12   #94

Boat: 50ft Custom Fast Catamaran

regarding the last post, I can fill you in on the current shipping rates for the mast.

to bring it halfway up the United States from Florida is $4000.
Chotu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2023, 12:21   #95
smj

Boat: TRT 1200
Cost to Cut Mast for ICW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chotu View Post
regarding the last post, I can fill you in on the current shipping rates for the mast.

to bring it halfway up the United States from Florida is $4000.

Yeah, I think the yearly cost that Montanan is discussing would be more expensive than the one time cost of adjusting the mast height.
If this were to be a one time ICW trip then I would agree, take it down and either ship or strap to the deck.
smj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2023, 04:39   #96

Boat: Leopard 38 Catamaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montanan View Post
KISS principle.

Geez, just have the 70 foot tall mast taken down and then turn the sailed Cat into a motored boat for the duration of your touring transit along the Atlantic Coast Ditch and thence when one is done traveling inland, have the original mast and rigging stepped and turn your Cat into a sailed Cat and go out into the ocean where she belongs.

Ship the mast to the location where you intend to discontinue your inland water way tours to have it restepped, albeit be sure that yard is not on the wrong side of a less than 70' bridge or power line.

Bring lots of mosquito spray as the ICW can be buggy.

Bon voyaging.
Need to clarify, want the option of ducking in when poor conditions offshore. We've transited the ICW with previous boat with an ICW mast. Not very cost effective to restep the mast in our current situation but thanks for your input.
louielouie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2023, 05:17   #97

Community Sponsor

We have done this multiple times, somewhere in the region of $5k. But you also have to modify your main or buy a new one. Modification on a Leopard 42 from a few years ago was in the $3k range. Most owners end up buying a new main.
The Yacht Rigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-2023, 06:02   #98

Thumbs up Re: Cost to Cut Mast for ICW

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Yacht Rigger View Post
We have done this multiple times, somewhere in the region of $5k. But you also have to modify your main or buy a new one. Modification on a Leopard 42 from a few years ago was in the $3k range. Most owners end up buying a new main.

Thanks!
Old 06-11-2023, 16:19   #99

Update - mast height was 67'4"( mistakenly said 70', couldn't edit the post). Lowered to 63'4" with new large roach mainsail.
Old 07-11-2023, 02:47   #100

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drunkonwatch View Post
just buy a cheap little bay liner and some gas for the trip why molest that boat to tour America’s rust belt. Yikes
Don't know why I didn't think of that but thanks.

Tags
icw, mast