Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-11-2012, 13:49   #1

Boat: Lagoon 400
Cruising Amenities

This topic is probably already covered, but I would like to discuss specifically for catamarans/weight issues.

For long term cruisers, what do you considered the required amenities on your boat besides basic instruments? For me water maker would be nice but not required. Some sort of climate control is very important. Doesn't need to be factory installed, just a home depot AC. Washing machine also not required. Refridgerator, yes.

Looking for opinions from cruisers with medium wallets. Not bare bones but not deep pockets.
pathlesschosen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-11-2012, 15:27   #2

Location: Brisbane after cruising (Atlantic -> Med -> Carib -> Pacific)
Boat: Vancouver 36, Hobie 33, Catana 48, now all with new owners
Re: Cruising Amenities

It will depend on your cruising style. For us we rarely stay in marinas and didn't want a generator so we are set up to run on 12 volts with an inverter to handle power tools etc. Your need for AC will depend on your location - for us anchoring out we almost always have enough breeze particularly with some good sun shades. If you are using marinas a lot where the wind is less and you don't necessarily face into it, then I guess AC might be on the list, but for us it did not come close. On the other hand we have two kids and like to sail/paddle so we have more toys and electronics than some might need/want.

We were also trying to not overload our boat, a 20 yr old Catana 48, but have not been at successful at that as I would have liked. I think I need to get rid of some more tools and spares.

Our list was:

- Propane stove, oven, bbq
- Fridge(s) - we don't have quite enough at the moment
- Lots of solar (8 x 75watt panels)
- Autopilot and backup
- Hard Bimini
- Good light wind sails - code zero and asymmetric spinnaker
- Good RIB with biggest outboard that would fit - 11' walker bay with 20hp honda (supports anchoring out)
- A primary anchor I trust - 70lb Rocna
- A secondary anchor that is easy to man handle - 30lb aluminum Spade
- A backup anchor - Fortress
- Watermaker (has moved up in our list since we started cruising earlier this year - gives fantastic independence from docks/marinas)
- SSB radio
- WiFi antenna/amplifier
- Good sun awnings
- Water toys (we have two kids) - sailing dinghy, inflatable kayaks, inflatable SUPs
- A decent screen and dvd/blu-ray player (we like to watch movies)
- Washing machine is on our want list, but I haven't worked out where to put it - so hasn't got done

I'm sure there are other items I've forgotten, but these are the ones I can think of now.

Mark.
mark_morwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-11-2012, 06:38   #3

Boat: Privilege 435 Now Sold

We started out with AC and generator, radar, fridge and freezer but no watermaker or washing machine. Added both relatively cheaply... $99 twin tub washing machine and water maker at around $3000. Other things we added over time were mainly technology driven... Lots more computer kit and, most importantly, AIS.

Not bothered at all about adding weight... So we slow down a bit. So what? What's the rush? We've done with rushing.

https://sailingjeannius.blogspot.com
Jeannius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-11-2012, 08:48   #4

My take after bringing my new to me boat from va to fla is: less is better, and simplest is best. I'm contemplating even getting rid of the holding tank and going portapottie. Stove, reefer, enough juice for some basic electronics. (
chart plotter crapped out and we did most the trip w/o it.

All you need are basics. Everything you add can and will break.

Thass my story an I'm stickin to it
tamicatana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-11-2012, 09:15   #5

Boat: Searunner 40 trimaran, WILDERNESS

Protection from sun and sea: a great dodger and bimini.
Easy boarding from the water.
Every boat is single-handed at 3 AM: make things ultra-safe in the dark.
Turn night into day with high-output, low current spreader lights, with an additional switch at your berth.
Give yourself a gift of security by creating a preventive maintenance program: fix things before they break.
Make your galley the centerpiece of the boat- everyone will appreciate it.
Roy M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-11-2012, 00:02   #6

For us, the watermaker is essential, but not Aircon.

We have a light, narrow beamed (waterline beam) boat, so supposedly we can't carry "proper cruising gear", but we managed to carry enough canned food, toiletries, LPG etc for 5 months, we have a washing machine, tv, fridge and freezer, plenty of solar, decent battery bank - 600 AH, good ground tackle, 60 m of chain,100m 18mm nylon, a second anchor plus rode, stern anchor, queen size latex matress (HEAVY!) we have plenty of fuel because the boat SAILS...
44'cruisingcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-11-2012, 07:53   #7

Boat: Shuttlecat 32

lots of good quality hatches with screens.

Tags
cruising