Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-02-2008, 14:53   #76
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by cat man do View Post
Welcome over to the dark side Sean.

While I doubt she'll win any races, she'll be way up there in the non-beer spilling comfort levels.

Have fun

Dave
Thanks, Dave!

Glad to be on the dark side. Yeah... she's not a blistering fast cat, but she seems comfortable and forgiving so far. As I was saying earlier in the thread, the performance, close to that of my last boat, is "good enough for me."

I have low expectations on speed, but high expectations on stability, seakindliness, comfort, beaching and all those things that make the multis a logical choice.
ssullivan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2008, 15:00   #77
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Multihulls - cats and Tris
Quote:
Originally Posted by catty;137185}
I think we should all remember that were loitering in cyberspace because were basically sad bastards who would prefer to be out sailing but were not.
Did the great Bay race yesterday 80 miles on a range of triangular courses, not a particularly nice day - SE change came through mid afternoon at peaked at 40 knots, moreton bay is notorious for horrid seas as there is so much shallow water, bit bouncy, the cat I was on handled it with aplomb,

Today I am off the SAGS on my tri (sunday around green sailing) mix of monos and multis in a social no extras race every sunday. I dont know about the other sad bastards but I am sailing two days a week on average

What boat do you sail on catty and where do you sail?
Factor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2008, 17:24   #78
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Hartley Tahitian 45ft. Leisure Lady
I have said this off the board to you Factor and a few others. It looks like I now have to say this in Public. Stop Baiting for a response from Catty and Joli. Who the hell cares about what experiance they may or may not have. I have seen no evidence of any posts from any of them, that suggest anything wrong with what they have stated. And so far not one of you that I have PM'd has provided anything for me. So the pot seems to be calling the kettle black here. As I have told you, Catty and Joli are entitled to their own opinions. Anyone is. And I want anyone to feel safe that they can post their view and not be belittled in public view.
It seems that many of you would rather I did not edit out crap like you have stated and leave the really good posts. So the result is I remove an entire post for the sake of one stupid line. Keep the stupid lines out of the posts. Last warning!

For God so loved the world..........He didn't send a committee.
Alan Wheeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2008, 01:53   #79

Just to clarify, do you see it as it baiting to ask Catty what kind of boat he built?

Because that's not what I intend. I'm building a boat, and I consider it a huge achievement to build and launch your own catamaran. when someone tells me they have done it, I want to know what it was, how long it took, how it sailed, and if it was all worth it!

ps. just added a few new photo's to the gallery: http://www.cruisersforum.com/gallery...00&userid=3477
44'cruisingcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2008, 02:05   #80
cruiser

Just had a look through the gallery and frankly... I'm stunned!!!

Speachless, really. Your cat is coming out very nicely.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 44'cruisingcat View Post
Just to clarify, do you see it as it baiting to ask Catty what kind of boat he built?

Because that's not what I intend. I'm building a boat, and I consider it a huge achievement to build and launch your own catamaran. when someone tells me they have done it, I want to know what it was, how long it took, how it sailed, and if it was all worth it!

ps. just added a few new photo's to the gallery: http://www.cruisersforum.com/gallery...00&userid=3477
Old 24-02-2008, 03:27   #81

Thanks Sean. I'm pretty happy with it so far. Would have liked to be in the water by now though! The next few months are the make-or-break as far as the finish goes. Just gotta keep on sanding....
Old 24-02-2008, 03:40   #82
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Multihulls - cats and Tris
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Wheeler View Post
I have said this off the board to you Factor and a few others. It looks like I now have to say this in Public. Stop Baiting for a response from Catty and Joli. Who the hell cares about what experiance they may or may not have. !
With respect Alan, I took on board your advice re Catty and Joli, I honestly didnt think that asking Catty what he sails and where was baiting him, I along with others simply I think want to know what boat it is he has that he bases some of his statements on, and where he sails is important, I know that I would want a different boat with different characteristics in Brisbane rather than Hobart.

Sorry _ i honestly didnt think that asking a comentator what boat he has was baiting. I wont ask him again.
Factor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2008, 05:12   #83

Boat: 50ft powercat, light,long and low powered
Quote:
Coming along a treat mate, well done.

I'm sure you told me before but could you give a quick refresher on the laminate bechtops ?

Thanks

Dave
Old 24-02-2008, 08:27   #84

Quote:

Great work I'm very impressed, you must be delighted with the way it is going. Being curious how have you finished the white surfaces, are they painted, gel coated or what, the reason I ask is that I am considering (as we have discussed before) building a Fusion 40 and I am curious at how the best way to get a good interior finish without using heavy wood so as to keep the weight down.
Thanks
Ian
ireaney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2008, 08:57   #85

Boat: FP Tobago 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by ireaney View Post
Great work I'm very impressed, you must be delighted with the way it is going. Being curious how have you finished the white surfaces, are they painted, gel coated or what, the reason I ask is that I am considering (as we have discussed before) building a Fusion 40 and I am curious at how the best way to get a good interior finish without using heavy wood so as to keep the weight down.
Thanks
Ian

I'll second that! She looks nice and light as well.

What did you use for the countertops down in the hull? Is it strong enough to use as a workbench (within reason)?
I'd also like to know about the stanchions, are they built in carbon?

Keep up the fantastic work-a job you can truly be proud of.

Regards

Alan
Nordic cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2008, 10:36   #86
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Sorry _ i honestly didnt think that asking a comentator what boat he has was baiting. I wont ask him again
So what would happen if the response was "I don't own a Cat"?? Does that rule him void in his comments?? I don't own a Cat either, but I know enough to make a judgment on what type of boat I wanted to purchase when I began looking. And as I always say, I stand to be corrected. I put forward my points of view as I believe them to be and stand for correction if any point I make is erro...eroni...err..Wrong. That's at least how I learn. Maybe others are different. So lets say now I make a comment as I have understood the subject from my own experiance and you have a more accurate point of view. OK, so you put forward your side of the argument. That's not put forward in an argumentitive way. I will hear what you have to say, it will either correct my view, add another diamension to my view, or I will reply with more information. Calling someone on what they may or may not sail is not really fair. I want to see members post here that may not have the experiance. I want them to not feel threatened in anyway. And I want to see you guys that do have the experiance pass on your knowledge ina non-threatening way. That's how we learn. I would not have half the knowledge I do if it weren't from listenign to knowledgable folks like yourself.
OK, so lets get back to the topic, and this is all done and dusted OK.

Old 24-02-2008, 10:39   #87
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Wow 44CC, she's beautiful. What a stunning job your doing.
I woudl love to know what kinda price you think this is going to cost you. PM me if would rather that not being public.

Old 24-02-2008, 11:46   #88

Thanks everyone for the kind words. Very encouraging. Thanks.
Old 24-02-2008, 11:52   #89

Quote:
Originally Posted by cat man do View Post
Coming along a treat mate, well done.

I'm sure you told me before but could you give a quick refresher on the laminate bechtops ?

Thanks

Dave
G'day Dave,

The benchtops are 13mm Duflex, with the usual houshold Laminex covering them. I produced the rolled edge by removing a 45mm wide strip of glass laminate from one side and bending it 180 degrees. Don't know if this explains it clearly, I'll dig up a photo. I had to get a kitchen place to apply the Laminex though, because it has to be heated to bend it that much.
Old 24-02-2008, 11:54   #90
cruiser

Quote:
Thanks everyone for the kind words. Very encouraging. Thanks.
You earned it! That might possibly be the nicest cat I've seen... and to think a board member built it?!?

How cool are those windows?? It looks better than new Lagoons, Foutain Pajots and many others. Plus, with production cats, you have to sometimes ask... "Where's the love?"