Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-04-2007, 15:57   #1
Ion

Custom Mast

Hello all. I've been lurking for some time but never posted. I'm in the market for a 40-50 ft cat in the next six months. We live near Oriental, NC (where she will be kept). We very much want to keep our mast clearance at or under 65 to keep the boat ICW friendly. However, some of the boats we are most interested in exceed that by a good amount. Anyone with any experience refitting a boat with a shorter mast? My initial idea is to go with a carbon rig and a new sail plan to make up for potential lost performance. What advice would you guys have? What's it gonna cost me, ballpark?

Thomas
Ion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-04-2007, 18:41   #2

Boat: It’s in French Polynesia now
The cat down the way here has a Ketch rig on his Cat which gives him just as much sail area as a sloop rig but with shorter masts. I believe Catalac's (sp) have the same rig........................_-/)
delmarrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-04-2007, 19:49   #3

Contact the designer and get his opinion. Changing sail configuration isn't as easy or straight-forward as it may sound, there are serious structural and performance issues to dealt with.
Efraim is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
mast