Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-03-2017, 01:45   #106
cruiser

Boat: OPBs
Re: Daggerboard catamarans

Trying to console yourself? It's ok to choose a slow boat. You've prioritised comfort, no worries.
tp12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-03-2017, 04:44   #107
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Orana 2010, Hélia 2013, Catana C 47 2013, Nautitech 46 Fly 2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by arsenelupiga View Post
Lagoon see this design idea for new L 420 S2

Leave boat as is, except add fake draggerboard like extension to be used instead of whisker pole. It will look cool and improve performance when reaching/downwind! If monos around the world race have it, why not lagoon ?!
The picture you posted is unmistakebly a Swisscat. The new Lagoon is not 420 but 42.
Am I missing something ?

BTW, I've heard rumors that the Benetteau group (Benetteaau, Jeanneau, Lagoon) is investigating the market for a new line of catamarans. In order to avoid the cannibalisation with Lagoon, I believe they will target a performance boat between FP and Catana. I'd doubted though that this will come with daggerboards. It might be something like old Nauthitecs that are moving more on comfort side after the merger with Bavaria..
Anyway, the cat market is expanding very fast and there will space for anyone who makes decent boats at reasonable prices..

Cheers

Yeloya
yeloya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-03-2017, 13:58   #108

Boat: PT-11

Quote:
Originally Posted by yeloya View Post
The picture you posted is unmistakebly a Swisscat. The new Lagoon is not 420 but 42.
Am I missing something ?

BTW, I've heard rumors that the Benetteau group (Benetteaau, Jeanneau, Lagoon) is investigating the market for a new line of catamarans. In order to avoid the cannibalisation with Lagoon, I believe they will target a performance boat between FP and Catana. I'd doubted though that this will come with daggerboards. It might be something like old Nauthitecs that are moving more on comfort side after the merger with Bavaria..
Anyway, the cat market is expanding very fast and there will space for anyone who makes decent boats at reasonable prices..

Cheers

Yeloya
That would be promising. Outremer needs some real competition. Catana too heavy. I asked FP if they had any interest in doing a lighter dagger version of their models, but they said no.
SVNeko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-03-2017, 18:10   #109

Boat: LAGOON 400

Quote:
Originally Posted by yeloya View Post
Am I missing something ?

Cheers

Yeloya
this meant to be an example how boat would roughly look like with fake draggerboards. Have not noticed brand. Just picked random pic from interent. Playing with rating calculation formulas, 'pole' may actually add more usable speed overall than draggerboards and get these 200+ nm days day after day. Who want to sail upwind in anything but flat seas anyway.
arsenelupiga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-03-2017, 18:55   #110
smj

Boat: TRT 1200

Quote:
this meant to be an example how boat would roughly look like with fake draggerboards. Have not noticed brand. Just picked random pic from interent. Playing with rating calculation formulas, 'pole' may actually add more usable speed overall than draggerboards and get these 200+ nm days day after day. Who want to sail upwind in anything but flat seas anyway.

Why do you feel the need to make fun of daggerboards?
smj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-03-2017, 18:58   #111
cruiser

Or think that people only buy daggerboard cats for their aesthetic? Weird...
Old 16-03-2017, 20:55   #112

I don't think anybody has mentioned Balance catamarans....I think it was a 421 I toured at Annapolis a couple of years ago.

The reason I bring this up is that this cat can come with or without daggerboards. I believe Phi Berman told me the yacht would cost $25k LESS built without daggerboards. I didn't ask about the performance difference. I'm not sure I would have gone with daggerboards had I chosen this yacht.
Old 16-03-2017, 21:53   #113

Don't know how they justify $25K. There wouldn't be $2000 worth of material.... $23K for labour? Ridiculous.

John McEnroe
44'cruisingcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-03-2017, 22:19   #114

Boat: Currently Shopping, & Heavily in LUST!

Some of those numbers would depend on how high performance the boards were, & what they're made out of. And to some degree the engineering that went into them, the trunks, & boat's structures that support such loads. Ditto the rudders if it was intended as a real high performance boat, as the rudders need to be built on par structurally to match the boards. Along with all of their supporting hardware. But I know nothing about this design in particular, the above's just basic engineering.

The Uncommon Thing, The Hard Thing, The Important Thing (in Life): Making Promises to Yourself, And Keeping Them.
UNCIVILIZED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-03-2017, 22:48   #115
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Multihulls - cats and Tris

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saleen411 View Post
I don't think anybody has mentioned Balance catamarans....I think it was a 421 I toured at Annapolis a couple of years ago.

The reason I bring this up is that this cat can come with or without daggerboards. I believe Phi Berman told me the yacht would cost $25k LESS built without daggerboards. I didn't ask about the performance difference. I'm not sure I would have gone with daggerboards had I chosen this yacht.
The balance is the Montebello reborn, I know when the Montebello was being built they decided to not offer the daggerboard option as it was going to cost way to much, not for the boards but also for the redesign of the interior for the cases and the boat was probably a little heavy to benefit anyway.
Factor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-03-2017, 23:41   #116

Quote:
Originally Posted by smj View Post
Why do you feel the need to make fun of daggerboards?
not making fun.

Extra build effort, less space, extra weight, extra point of failure, for overall 2% gain in performance based on rating calculations, does not appear attractive proposition. I did sail catana once only and played with daggerboards, so no expert, but ratings cant be all that off ?

You can make 2 % faster boat by shedding 600kg from 10 T cat, for example which appears easier task.
Old 17-03-2017, 02:32   #117

Boat: between boats

Quote:
not making fun.

Extra build effort, less space, extra weight, extra point of failure, for overall 2% gain in performance based on rating calculations, does not appear attractive proposition. I did sail catana once only and played with daggerboards, so no expert, but ratings cant be all that off ?

You can make 2 % faster boat by shedding 600kg from 10 T cat, for example which appears easier task.
Seriously Aresen time to pull you up sport - you sailed a catana once and your giving post after post of your opinion on daggerboard cats as if you somehow have some insight???

I dont get whats going on with those ratings but they are not an accurate representation of typical daggerboard cat performance gap to typical minikeel cat. Not even ballpark.

Cling to em if it makes you feel better about your lagoon though.

But to be honest it seems a little obvious you might be a condo cat skipper with the heart of a wanna be performance cat skipper just trying to feel better about your current situation as someone else posted. Dont be. Just accept the compromise of your choice. You cant have it all mate
Barra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2017, 03:36   #118

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barra View Post
Seriously Aresen time to pull you up sport - you sailed a catana once and your giving post after post of your opinion on daggerboard cats as if you somehow have some insight???

I dont get whats going on with those ratings but they are not an accurate representation of typical daggerboard cat performance gap to typical minikeel cat. Not even ballpark.

Cling to em if it makes you feel better about your lagoon though.

But to be honest it seems a little obvious you might be a condo cat skipper with the heart of a wanna be performance cat skipper just trying to feel better about your current situation as someone else posted. Dont be. Just accept the compromise of your choice. You cant have it all mate
AMEN.

Sorry, did not mean to offend. But can see whay you can see it like that..

Old 17-03-2017, 03:50   #119
cruiser

I think Barra has nailed that one ...
Old 17-03-2017, 04:32   #120
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Orana 2010, Hélia 2013, Catana C 47 2013, Nautitech 46 Fly 2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by 44'cruisingcat View Post
Don't know how they justify $25K. There wouldn't be $2000 worth of material.... $23K for labour? Ridiculous.
I had talked sometime ago with a guy in O' yachts cats who are offering cats both with and without daggerboard. I don't remember exactly but the price difference that he quoted was around 20-25.000 €.
There is no way someone can do it for 2.000 USD, simply no way..
You cannot even buy two daggerboards at that price, not talking about the trunk and the changes that have to be done in the overall structure of the boat.

Cheers

Yeloya
yeloya is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
catamaran