Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-05-2012, 04:28   #31

Community Sponsor

Boat: Mahe 36, Helia 44 Evo, MY 37
Re: Dean 365 Catamaran Performance?

Bridge Deck looks very low to me. Near coastal yes. Offshore, may be not.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Dean 365.jpg
Views:	1103
Size:	63.2 KB
ID:	40592  
Cotemar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 05:26   #32

Boat: Dean catamaran 40

for sure it is more like a tri than a cat or perhaps its more like a mono with that clearance but the many many circumnavigations speak for themselves. Not to mention the survival of the Dean cat in the Queens Birthday storm that claimed mono hulls and lightly built cats.
kingnuggie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 15:00   #33
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Multihulls - cats and Tris

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingnuggie View Post
for sure it is more like a tri than a cat or perhaps its more like a mono with that clearance but the many many circumnavigations speak for themselves. Not to mention the survival of the Dean cat in the Queens Birthday storm that claimed mono hulls and lightly built cats.
Which cats were claimed in the QB Storm? I was only aware of two issues, Heartlight which was destroyed by the owners (weird and wonderful story) and Ramtha which was abandoned but continues to sail to this day. Heartlight was a very heavily built boat and Ramtha a reasonable cruising cat.

BTW are you tied up at Dockside in Brisbane at the moment - I saw a Dean there yesterday.
Factor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 15:13   #34

Boat: Dean catamaran 40

ignore the lightly built cat wording as it makes no sense at all.
I am in Pt Bouvard WA after a nice trip down from Geraldton a few days ago. offshore 30 knot winds and a flat ish sea. What a lovely fast sail that was.
kingnuggie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 06:29   #35

Boat: Montevideo 43 sloop
Re: Dean 365 Catamaran Performance ?

Hi all - am looking for info on a Dean 365 "ocean-liner" circa 1992 currently called Con-Anne currently with Swiss owners and previously Italian owners.
I don't have a hull number and am struggling to find more history on it.
All info received gratefully

Kris
Old 05-07-2012, 01:12   #36

I'm considering seriously a Dean 365 but I'm skeptical because of claims of having a hard time tacking with engines!?? Could people who have owned / sailed these boats please shed some light on this particular claim, is this true, even if it's just "a little bit true"?? Being slow is one thing, needing special circumstances to tack comfortably is a whole different thing!

Thanks
welljim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 01:17   #37

Hi - just concluded the deal - bought Footprints - have spoken to a number of proficient captains and all have said its easy to tack - they dont understand why some helmsmen cant - I personally think its all in the timing - , you develop a feel for it. I really struggled to tack a hobie cat , til I got some experience.

I am also aware that some cats are loaded to the waterline and may be a bit sluggish in light airs.

kris
Old 05-07-2012, 01:20   #38

Congrats!!, I was looking at that too :-) Hope you enjoy it, and thanks for the info.
welljim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 08:24   #39

Location: still in Vienna, but later in this year it will be Langebaan
Boat: Catamaran Dean 365,"TWIGA"

We sailed our Dean 365 since Febr. 2010 from South Africa to Brasil and later into the Caribean, living aboard since then. We found her surprisingly safe and even faster than expected. Th handling is easy you can manage her single handed without stress. When tacking hard there is some slamming but most time cruisers don`t tack so much.With 15-20 knots of wind we are doing an average of 7-8 knots feeling quite comfortable. Reefing starts at 25 knots of wind. for further Info check onour website Twiganauten - Twiganauten Geschichten
twiga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 03:01   #40
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cotemar View Post
Bridge Deck looks very low to me. Near coastal yes. Offshore, may be not.

That's actually my last cat, and we only sold her to afford to purchase our charter boat.

I like all you desktop sailors, who just want to blabber about things without 1st had experience.(not pointed at anyone directly)

I sail everyday for a living and have owned 3 cats, right now we have a P42.

Our dean was fantastic, we loved her so much I NEVER turned on the engines to tack, the inner stay does get in the way...but same on my p42.

The boat never slammed any waves....just slapped all of them. I was on a 76' cat and she slammed so hard your would think the bridge deck was breaking free from the hulls (actually started to ; ) also my p42 will slam violently...but never the little dean.

Also dean has protection from the elements for the captain and a chair too "very important for crusing" (not my privilege)

Dean has 2x the galley size....we brewed beer and kombucha in 5 gallon barrels on the counter and still have 6' counter top on that side and 10' on the other to use.....try finding that in any sub 50' cat

She has skeg hung rudders, very easy to sail...holds he course with easy...small main so no weather helm, huge mast head genoa, so never need to break out the asymetrical.

No trampolines...better for yoga, and no water on deck

Needless to say we loved our dean 365, and don't think there is a better boat for a crusing couple....especially for the money

Cheers david
Greasepower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 11:02   #41

Yep - once I got the systems working and the lines all functioning as supposed to... she is a sweet boat

not sure what we will get next , but this one sets the bar high

Kris
Old 09-05-2013, 08:25   #42

Location: still in Vienna, but later in this year it will be Langebaan
Boat: Catamaran Dean 365,"TWIGA"

bridge deck is low and there is frequent slamming, true. but on the high sea where the waves are longer it does not really matter so much. And down winds it is no problem anyway. on the other hand the boats profile is low, less windcatch. The seawotrhyness is beyound reasonable doubt. we sailed our Dean365 for 15.000 NM in the South Atlantic, Africa, Brasil, Caribean feeling alway safe and confortable!
further information about water sailing">blue water sailing in a Dean You`ll find here : http://www.twiganauten.com/Fahrtenberichte.html
Bets regards,
Peter
twiga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 18:32   #43

Boat: 295 Everglades CC twin 300 Yamaha

So, after all has ben said above. Does anyone have a preference or recommendation on make, model, size that would fit Crystalbleu's criterias. Interested for my self as well.
kick1212 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 19:08   #44

Community Sponsor

Boat: Mahe 36, Helia 44 Evo, MY 37

You will all be fighting for the same boats as their are only 3 listed in Yachtworld.

One in Portugal, Spain & Greece

Dean 365 Boats For Sale
Cotemar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2014, 17:10   #45

Boat: Broadblue 38
Question Re: Dean 365 Catamaran Performance ?

Hello,

I'm also struggeling finding information on the Dean 365. This thread has the most information so far but I have a few questions which the Dean owners here might be able to answer.
  • Are the hulls made of solid fibreglass or sandwich? Same question for the deck.
  • According to the plan there are boyancy tanks in all four ends. But the ones in the back seem rather small to me. Do they really provide enough positive boyancy to to make her unsinkable id one hull is holed? This question obviousely only makes sense if the hulls are not made of a sandwich laminate
  • Is the deck and hull joint glassed over?
  • Can anybody tell me what the purpose of the square protrusion under the aft end of the cockpit is (can be seen when looking at the stern of the boat)?
  • Can she handle the weight of a dinghy on the stern plattform or will that be too much weight for the rather narrow ends of the hulls?
  • How long are the bunks in the forward staterooms (in m please )?
  • Can the bulkhead separating the two forward staterooms be removed without weakening the structure?
  • Where are the fuel and water tanks located?
  • When surveying an older Dean 365 - where does one need to be cautious? (typical weaknesses & problems)?
  • Are there any known cases of osmosis?
And a last thing, more our of curiosity: when comparing to the Prout Snowgoose 37, the Dean is normally lower priced. Why? When I compare I think they are quiet similar but the Dean has two engines and a very nice layout.

Thanks a lot in advance!

Regards Jan
CruiserAD is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
catamaran