Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-01-2014, 21:45   #46

Boat: Montevideo 43 sloop
Re: Dean 365 Catamaran Performance ?

1. hulls and deck are solid - with some marine ply sandwiched on the deck parts - I know that cause I have drilled thru it. hull and deck is super strong - the new depth guage I fitted's thru hull needed all the thread to go thru ; and my friend weighs over 300lbs and there is no deck deflection

2.yes boyancy tanks in all 4 corners : mine have polystyrene ball filled plastic bottles stuffed in there - the aft section is not small , but as I have not heard of any 365's sinking , I suspect there is plenty of boyancy.

3. I have not taken the cover off yet, dont know

4. Nacelle : this compartment on my boat continues from under the forward cabins to the stern, contains useable storage from the saloon seat , and under the main bulkhead aft. Mine has the batteries stored there. behind that is the engine compartment if its a single engine version (like mine) or in the twin engine version, its used as a water tank/fuel tank.

5. lotsa boyancy aft for davits and RIB + 15Hp +++ (see below)

6. depending on if fitted by factory or custom - mine is custom , with storage both at the head and foot of the bunk, I am 6' and I suspect there is another 4" available - I am sure you can convert

7. In the owners version , single forward cabin , the centre bulkhead is not there. in mine, it is there - I would personally partially remove the bulkhead leaving as much material as possible in an arch - but I suspect it is not necessary - these boats are built really strong.

8. My water tanks are in the port and starboard bilges - 300 litres each opposite the saloon. I believe this is standard. My fuel tanks are 150l each under the cockpit seats, port and starboard - fitted thru the cabins with removable panels for inspection/maint.

9. look out for reasonable maintenance : see my post on Catamaran Footprints | Family sailing for more details

10. when I was looking to buy - I heard of none - my boat has none.

11. I have heard from 2 365 owners that the dean out-sails the prout. The prices are less cause its not as well known and because of the bumfuzzle debacle - I bought mine cause its the most boat you can buy for the least money.

feel free to email me or pm me Kris (in Cape Town)
Old 10-01-2014, 21:49   #47

Boat: Montevideo 43 sloop

My 365 is now for sale - but have not given it to a broker yet, so not on Yachtworld yet
Old 11-01-2014, 04:51   #48

Location: still in Vienna, but later in this year it will be Langebaan
Boat: Catamaran Dean 365,"TWIGA"

Dear jan,I fully agree with Chris. We own a Dean 365 since 3 years a sailed her from South Afrika to Brasil, Carabean, Maine,and than back to the Bahamas. Currently we are located at the Caicos. On our website you`ll find a lot of informations about the ship and it`s sailing characteristics. The website is in German, but google translater will help...
Twiganauten - Bauart und Allgemeines

Twiganauten - Sailng reports by Dean Owners
twiga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2014, 05:44   #49

Location: still in Vienna, but later in this year it will be Langebaan
Boat: Catamaran Dean 365,"TWIGA"

Tacking with a Dean 365 :
Yes it may be difficult, but you`ll always manage if you free the main sheat before you go through the wind, keep the jib closehauled until it backs, then change the sides- done! with the main closehauled the ship is pressed back into the wind easily...
twiga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2014, 06:59   #50

Boat: Kelsall Suncat 40

Treat her like a beach cat.

If you muck it up, you are in reverse so turn the wheel over and use that backed jib.

Jimbo485 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2014, 08:59   #51
Marine Service Provider

Dear Jan,

We chose our 365 over a Prout 37 elite, because of the amazing layout!.

*Hulls are solid Glass also deck
*I Never sunk mine so I don't know if the buoyancy tanks are enough, but she seemed to do fine with all our travles
*The deck and hulls is glassed over...but so is my Privilege catamaran
*The square is tons of storage space! and has wave splitting V to it...so does not really slam.
*Weight of dinghy was never a problem 12' AB
*Our forward bunk was a California King we had an owners version
*Yes the bulkhead is not structural...ours came factory without
*Fuel tank is the aft wall of the cockpit made of stainless, water tanks are fiberglass built into the hulls
*No known problems to me and we pushed her hard!
*No osmosis problems to speak of

david
Greasepower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2014, 16:23   #52
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: V45
Re: Dean 365 Catamaran Performance?

Quote:
Originally Posted by niel12 View Post
Pity... Richard, never expect this attitude from you ... Jealousy makes you nasty!
Jealousy? Sorry, but Richard is simply stating the facts. I also owned a Dean 365 'Ocean Liner' and found some horrible issues. The 365 does not sail well and does not tack. It is correct that the motors often have to be turned on to complete the manoeuvre. The 365 does not really slam - it spends half its life under water as a semi submersible. It is a comfortable live aboard - more a floating caravan then a sailing catamaran. I have no hesitation in saying it is the worst boat I have ever owned or been on. Woods designs are far superior altho' I agree that Richard cannot always control the build quality. I know this shall upset some owners which is not my intent - rather warn potential buyers of what they might be entering into. Given the choice I 'Wood' buy a Woods design like a Flicka anytime over the 365.
Bulawayo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2014, 18:11   #53

Boat: Manta 40 "Reach"

Quote:
Originally Posted by krissteyn View Post
The prices are less cause its not as well known and because of the bumfuzzle debacle
The Bumfuzzle's had a Wildcat 35, not a Dean. How did their experience impact Dean?

Mark

You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.
colemj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2019, 12:16   #54

Boat: Dean Ocean Liner 365

Hi people!

I know this is an old thread, but there isn't much about Deans 365.
As you see, my Cruisersforum name is Notyet, because we are yearning for years by now to sail again :-)
But October 2018 we bought a 1990 Dean Ocean Liner 365 in Greece, are living on it since then, and are refitting it. We hope to start sailing this summer. We are really in love with this boat! Huge amount of space everywhere, I can stand straight with my 1.87mtrs/6ft2 and we have a super king size bed.
Good to hear from people over here that they sailed the oceans with it.
And I found a German website too with sailing experiences of 365 owners. Happy that so many people are positive about those floating tanks, haha!
Our boat was called Sunlady, but her new name is Exodos. We have a rebuild vlog on YouTube. Channel name is "Sailing Exodos".
Happy greetings!
Wim
Notyet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-2020, 13:20   #55

Dear sailors,

After 2 years of hard work we have almost finished our refit of our Dean 365 which had suffered from some serious neglect. Next year we'll finally set sails for our circumnavigation. But before we can do so, we actually need some new sails as the old ones are about 25 years old!

I am wondering if anybody has the exact measurements for the Dean 365 for the mainsail, Genoa as well as the staysail?

Also, maybe anybody has recommendations for particular sailcloths, strength, etc. Or for changes/upgrades from the original sailplan?

And maybe you even have some recommendations for where in the eastern med we can get affordable yet quality sails?

Any input is highly appreciated...v
Alhambro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-2020, 14:05   #56
Sponsoring Vendor

Community Sponsor

Boat: 1999 Hughes 30 Cat

Drop me an email to pat@multihulldynamics.com and I will send you a copy of their brochure. However there are no I, P, J and E measurements. They give specifications such as Genoa 46.6 sqm.

Pat
Pat Ross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-2020, 14:06   #57
Sponsoring Vendor

Community Sponsor

Boat: 1999 Hughes 30 Cat

Oh- Congrats, lots of folks don't make it, those that attempt what you did
Pat Ross is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
catamaran