Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-12-2016, 22:44   #16

Boat: Plan Joubert 21
Send a message via Skype™ to ProjectManaia
Re: Demountable Catamarans?

I a, actually currently working and loving on a 40ft demountable cat... giorgetti and magrini tricat.
For videos, pictures etc. Check youtube looking for project manaia or directly on the website: www.projectmanaia.at
ProjectManaia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2017, 07:38   #17

38 Crowther Nice Pair would fit in a container, she takes two days to disassemble and doesn't need a marina, only a wide ramp.
But she is so fast it would be easier to sail her.
At $ 62k she is the best deal in the US. SLEEPS 5, TWO VERY COMFORTABLE
multihuler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2017, 16:16   #18

I still haven't completely abandoned the idea of a demountable cat or a trailerable tri (that's easier to ship) but I have been researching a different idea that may prove more feasible for me. In terms of cost and timeline it makes sense, but it would change my usage a bit.

Charter ownership.

If I end up in St Thomas or Puerto Rico there are charter bases there or nearby. I would get usage of a brand new boat and not have to worry about maintenance or upkeep. I could use a sistership anywhere, which would really open up my vacation options. If I'm in PR/USVI for 5 years, I'll be at the end of the contract when I leave, or very near it. The market for boats like what I had in mind is somewhat limited in St Thomas, so realistically I would be shipping/paying a crew to get it there, and then potentially get it back to FL at the end of my time there. The money lost on a charter boat over the lifetime of the contract would probably be less than the money lost paying a survey/buying trip/refit/delivery/shipping etc. The only thing I would lose would be the daysailing use. But that might not be that big of a deal in the long run, I can always pick up a little sailing dinghy or beach cat. If I go with Moorings, there's also the possibility of moving the boat from "Moorings" to "Footloose" at the end of the contract and making up a little more of my lost investment. (Both companies are under TUI, and it's apparently a somewhat common practice).

Then, when I move back stateside I can buy a trailerable tri. I hadn't really looked that closely into them until I started this thread. But having done a lot of research now, they sound perfect for me if/when I end up back on the east/gulf coast.
Old 08-01-2017, 19:24   #19

Boat: Norseman 430, Jabberwock

You earlier mentioned the Edel 35. Great boat, but not easy to disassemble and reassemble.

We owned one for 10years (I think it was one of those pictured in the sales literature in the listing), so I have an idea of how it would be assembled. I heard that the factory sent men to do the job, unless the sales agent had experienced --likely factory trained-- people to do it. Probably showing a real commitment to selling more than one or two.

Delivery crew would be the way to get the Edel from place to place, if you can't.
ggray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2017, 08:31   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by ggray View Post
You earlier mentioned the Edel 35. Great boat, but not easy to disassemble and reassemble.

We owned one for 10years (I think it was one of those pictured in the sales literature in the listing), so I have an idea of how it would be assembled. I heard that the factory sent men to do the job, unless the sales agent had experienced --likely factory trained-- people to do it. Probably showing a real commitment to selling more than one or two.

Delivery crew would be the way to get the Edel from place to place, if you can't.
Thank you for sharing your opinion on the Edel. I don't know what it is, but something about those boats really appeals to me. Wharram once said something to the effect of "a sailboat should have every luxury or focus on sailing, trying to do both causes problems". I feel like the Edel sort of fits into that. It has everything you really need, and nothing you don't. I would love to find one, but they don't seem to come up for sale that often. There was one in S. Fla for $15k a few months ago, I'm still mad I missed it.

Tags
catamaran