Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-01-2018, 07:45   #16
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Benford 38 Fantail Cruiser
Re: Dipstick issue

Quote:
Originally Posted by stephenlang View Post
Hi All

We are getting ready to cruise, but before we do, I would like to change the transmission oil.
Depending on your cruising plans you may want to leave this job til' you get back. It's beginning to sound as if the plug is seriously galled. You may find yourself dropping broken pieces inside your gear box if you continue. If you bring it out in pieces do you have a replacement ?
Old 13-01-2018, 08:17   #17
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38
Dipstick issue

I forget, can you get a vise grip on it? If so then turning it like your unscrewing it won’t hurt anything if it’s just held in by O-rings and just in case it’s threaded is likely the way to get it out.
I’d also use heat gun heat, not torch, but a heat gun and stop when it will fry spit, try to loosen, let it cool, try to loosen and repeat.
Finally before I got real stupid with it, I’d try to remove that breather and before you remove any lube measure the oil level, it’s very likely that you can use it as the access to both suction out the lube and to measure quantity.
Once suctioned out, measure how much you got out and compare it to the books stated capacity, it should be close, but if you measure accurately how much you got out, replacing that amount ought to put you right back to your starting level, just with fresh oil.
There may be more than one way to skin a cat.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-2018, 08:21   #18

Boat: Morgan Classic 33

According to this Westerbeke operators manual, page 46, the dipstick is on the side opposite the spot you indicate. Is there something there, or is it just a typo or model variation of the JS transmission?

operators manual - Westerbeke
jimbunyard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2018, 06:10   #19

Boat: Gemini 3400

Success..

Clearing the area of wires and oily residue, heat was applied first with a heat gun to dry things out. and then more serious heat with a torch with a fire extinguisher at the ready. After an hour or so, the dipstick was in my hand. Replaced the 2 O rings with slightly smaller ones. I can now check it easily by hand.

On to the next project.

Stephen
stephenlang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2018, 08:15   #20

I am guessing the O rings are sized according to parts manual, if too small they may blow out when the transmission heats up.
Bean Counter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2018, 08:31   #21

Boat: CS 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by stephenlang View Post
Success..

Clearing the area of wires and oily residue, heat was applied first with a heat gun to dry things out. and then more serious heat with a torch with a fire extinguisher at the ready. After an hour or so, the dipstick was in my hand. Replaced the 2 O rings with slightly smaller ones. I can now check it easily by hand.

On to the next project.

Stephen
Good news. The advice about the o ring size is spot on. Should be a tight fit by hand. Peter
PDScott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2018, 08:40   #22
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38
Dipstick issue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bean Counter View Post
I am guessing the O rings are sized according to parts manual, if too small they may blow out when the transmission heats up.

Should not ever be any pressure either positive or negative. The vent should prevent that, it there is ever any pressure then the vent needs cleaning. The only use for the O rings ought to be to provide a little snug fit to keep the dip stick from rattling.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote