Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

View Poll Results: Disembark gun into a waterproof case on the bottom, under the boat??
Given that a gun is on board, a waterproof gun case under the boat is a Good idea! 1 33.33%
Given that a gun is on board, a waterproof gun case under the boat is a Bad idea! 2 66.67%
Voters: 3. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-05-2011, 17:12   #1

Boat: Lagoon, 380, 38'
Disembark Guns on Board

Most of us know the terrible story about the Quest and murder of Captain and crew by pirates. Which got me thinking of a solution, for which I would like to solicit opinion. Not opinion on whether to be armed or not, whether they should have been there or not or whether you should endure the cruising risk unarmed, those are different subjects I would like to avoid here. I'm soliciting opinion on my idea regarding how to deal with arms on board.

Since most ports either don't allow you to be armed or take your arms and hold or steal them from you (God bless the Bahamas, you declare, but keep your guns on board), I thought of an alternative I'm considering. I have escape hatches in the aft cabins of my catamaran, facing inwards under the bridge deck. When I anchor in a new port, before clearing customs and I dive in the water to check my anchor hold, what if I swam back under the bridge deck, disembarked my guns through the escape hatch, then down under water to the bottom under my boat?? The gun or guns would be in a water proof case of course, painted a sand color lying on the bottom of the ocean under the boat. Most anchorages are 10' to 20' deep where I want to cruise, so retrieving the water proof case would be doable.

Of course I've lost the benefit of their protection while they lay on the bottom, but I have other solutions for that (wasp spray, taser, flare gun, etc.). The gun I would be laying on the bottom under the boat would be a Barrett 50 caliper, so you wouldn't want to shot that in port at pirates or thieves anyway.

When I think about the Quest, I think about a Barrett 50 caliper that could have reached out and touched the pirates a mile + away, before the pirates got within range for their RPG's and AK47's. Obviously the farther the shot, the harder the shot, but I wouldn't be trying to shoot people anyway, I'ld be trying to ping the hull of their boat. A 50 caliper hole in the hull would cause most crooks to tuck their tail and run looking for easier prey. If not, put a hole through their hull into their engine and they would never get within range to shot back. Barrett range 1 to 2 miles, RPG & AK47 range, less than a 100 yards.

I'm not looking for a battle or to start a fight with pirates. Given a choice, I would run from a fight with pirates, but then my run would only be at 7 to 9 knots, so that probably isn't a good defense to rely on. I just want to protect my young daughter and wife and be able to reach out and touch someone before they get within the 100 yard danger zone.

What do you think about laying a waterproof gun case on the bottom, under an anchored boat, while in port??
Old 05-05-2011, 17:19   #2

Boat: 1988 Hans Christian 33
Re: Disembark Guns on Board

Old 05-05-2011, 17:24   #3

Boat: trader 595

I take it you mean .50 calibre
full bore weapons are covered by a jurisdiction which does not effect shotguns on board.I suggest the Saika 12g ten shot mag extended barrel loaded with rifled slugs.
Most officials even in EU waters look at shotguns in a better light,more fool them.
Old 05-05-2011, 17:29   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by GerryTFerguson View Post
I take it you mean .50 calibre
full bore weapons are covered by a jurisdiction which does not effect shotguns on board.I suggest the Saika 12g ten shot mag extended barrel loaded with rifled slugs.
Most officials even in EU waters look at shotguns in a better light,more fool them.
Upps, you're right. .50 caliper. I carry a shot gun on board, but like the idea of reaching out and touching someone, well beyond the range of any other weapon. The chances of pirates and thieves having a comparable weapon are near ZERO!
Old 05-05-2011, 17:33   #5

Boat: trader 595

THe Saiga with 30inch tube,3inch mag slug will be off putting at 300 yards and with practice,if I can sink a 50gallon drum at this range so can you.
cheers
Old 05-05-2011, 17:38   #6

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Endeavour 35, 1984,

Is this post a joke?
Am I missing something here?
Old 05-05-2011, 17:42   #7

Boat: 78 Pearson323 Four Winds

Gerry, I think you mean Saiga 12 gauge. Could be that since it's a semi auto with a detachable mag it would be looked at more negatively than a traditional pump shotgun.

As for the range of the AK, 100 yards is selling it a little short. I've seen them be quite effective a 300 or even 400 yards. Hitting the hull of a boat, maybe farther. But I've never fired one from a floating platform. Can't say anything about RPG's. I've never fired one.

By the way, get ready for people who know nothing about guns to come along a tell how to conduct your life, and accuse you of being something you are not.

As for the question you pose. I'd forget that idea, carry the shottie, and follow proper procedures.

Please tell me you didn't join just to stir up a sh*tstorm.
Old 05-05-2011, 17:46   #8

By the way, get ready for people who know nothing about guns to come along a tell how to conduct your life, and accuse you of being something you are not.[/QUOTE]

That's OK, I'm married and already use to that. I'm afraid that my poll is going to be distorted by gun haters, rather than addressing the idea presented.
Old 05-05-2011, 17:53   #9

Location: Ft. Pierce, FL - Bislig, Philippines - Gladstone QLD
Boat: 1968 Alberg 30 #329

I admire your deep desire to protect your family. However, I feel it would be much wiser to just not visit places where you have to worry so much.
Old 05-05-2011, 18:19   #10

Boat: Liberty 458
There are some basic principles at play here. Considering the options from lowest to highest risk they are:
1) avoidance
2) mobility versus stealth. Sailboats are slow and hard to hide
3) attack versus defence. Sailboats have poor defence and survivabilty against even basic threats.
4) we're left with attack.

The logic behind the original post is now clear. It would be great to be able to 'hire' adequate attack options before entering a high risk area. Me i'll take the barret 50 to deal with the mother ship, a G3 to deal with the fast ribs and an MP5 and shotgun to deal with boarding attempts.
Old 05-05-2011, 18:20   #11

Boat: M/V Carquinez Coot

We'd all be better off with an M-19 grenade launcher.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mk_19_grenade_launcher
Old 05-05-2011, 18:20   #12
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Research vessel for a university, retired now.

I really am sorry to do this guys but guns on boats discussions have been permanently put to rest in this forum. If you want, you can look up the dozens of previous threads about guns on boats. There is nothing new to say which has not already been said. Again, my apologies.

Life begins where land ends.
Closed Thread

Tags
Guns