Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-08-2015, 15:04   #1

Boat: still looking for the right Tri
Do "multihulls" need an own thread for Windvane vs. Autopilot ?

Folks... before I go into the thematic "Windvane vs. Autopilot" (or maybe better to say: "Windvane + Autopilot" as I see it) I like to ask all here if it makes sense to setup an own thread for Multihulls about this topic ?

... as I have seen in the segment "monohulls" that this thematic is discussed there since long. Here: "Windvane vs. Autopilot on Monohulls".

If there should exist specific requirements, mainly relevant for multihulls, and especially for the more speedy cats and trimarans, maybe we should start an own discussion, isnt ? - Otherwise I have no problem to switch to the league of monohullers. ;-) Let me know pls I keep me on standby for now.

P.S.: Personally I am interested in this thematic as the trimaran I am looking for (to buy) regularly only has one option: autopilot on steering wheel or tiller. And it seems a revival that "eco sailors" in tendency find back to the old fasion windwave.
Skip JayR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-08-2015, 16:44   #2

Boat: Manta 40 "Reach"
Re: Do "multihulls" need an own thread for Windvane vs. Autopilot ?

There have been numerous threads on this in the past.

Basically, most catamaran designs prevent the use of a windvane because of the wind shadow from the cabin - not to mention the torturous run of control cables. Most fast multihulls can't use one because of the high response to wind and speed (this is also a problem with fast monos).

If you are happy with a slow trimaran, I think a windvane could work…

Mark

You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.
colemj is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
autopilot, hull, multihull, wind, windvane