Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-02-2015, 05:58   #16

Re: Docking Options for FL catamaran?

Crazy Idea:

I wonder what it would take to put in a simple marine railway off a canal. Rather than a vertical seawall, put in a concrete ramp with a set of dollies and a winch mounted at the top. with a couple piles in the canal to position the boat over the dollies and a remote to control for the winch, you could just haul out rather than leave her in the water.

I'm guessing here but maybe $20k for the concrete ramp and piles. Plus another $10k for the dollies and another $5k for the winch. If you can find an empty lot on a narrow canal (just wide enough to turn the boat around comfortably), you might be able to keep it down around $100k.

Advantages:
- allows you utilize a less expensive lot on a smaller canal.
- Bottom paint may be optional or at least last longer.
- Bottom painting and other underwater maintenance is much easier.
- With just a modest amount of thought, you have secure hurricane storage at a moments notice.
- Never worry about a bilge pump failure.
valhalla360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2015, 06:19   #17

Boat: PT-11

Quote:
Originally Posted by valhalla360 View Post
Crazy Idea:

I wonder what it would take to put in a simple marine railway off a canal. Rather than a vertical seawall, put in a concrete ramp with a set of dollies and a winch mounted at the top. with a couple piles in the canal to position the boat over the dollies and a remote to control for the winch, you could just haul out rather than leave her in the water.

I'm guessing here but maybe $20k for the concrete ramp and piles. Plus another $10k for the dollies and another $5k for the winch. If you can find an empty lot on a narrow canal (just wide enough to turn the boat around comfortably), you might be able to keep it down around $100k.

Advantages:
- allows you utilize a less expensive lot on a smaller canal.
- Bottom paint may be optional or at least last longer.
- Bottom painting and other underwater maintenance is much easier.
- With just a modest amount of thought, you have secure hurricane storage at a moments notice.
- Never worry about a bilge pump failure.
Imagine the variances and approvals you'd need for that.
SVNeko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2015, 06:22   #18

Boat: FP Belize, 43' - Dot Dun

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVNeko View Post
Imagine the variances and approvals you'd need for that.
I would guess the environmental approval would take a year or more to get.
DotDun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2015, 06:46   #19
cruiser

Quote:
Crazy Idea:.
Yes, it is.

A boat lift is easier and far cheaper.
jaybird1111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2015, 10:41   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaybird1111 View Post
Yes, it is.

A boat lift is easier and far cheaper.
But doesn't solve the problem. A boat lift would still take up too much space on a small canal. This gets the boat clear of the canal so excessive beam is pretty much irrelevant.

I wouldn't think a couple of pilings and a redone seawall wouldn't be much harder than to get approval of a dock.
Old 20-02-2015, 10:57   #21

Boat: Caliber 40

"I'm guessing here but maybe $20k for the concrete ramp and piles. Plus another $10k for the dollies and another $5k for the winch. If you can find an empty lot on a narrow canal (just wide enough to turn the boat around comfortably), you might be able to keep it down around $100k."

I'm guessing you have not looked at the cost of canal front lots that qualify as "sailboat access." If the lot is accessible by a boat with a mast greater than 65' (my 51' catamaran is 71') - you will be paying at least $250 per front foot and all the lots are over 100' wide.

We've looked and looked.
TacomaSailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2015, 11:00   #22

Quote:
But doesn't solve the problem. A boat lift would still take up too much space on a small canal. This gets the boat clear of the canal so excessive beam is pretty much irrelevant.

I wouldn't think a couple of pilings and a redone seawall wouldn't be much harder than to get approval of a dock.
A permit for a ramp would involve all the environmental (state and fed) sign-offs for handling of runoff, water retention, etc., etc. A seawall with french-drain is already an approved build.

Not saying it can't be done, but it certainly involves more than a normal seawall.
Old 20-02-2015, 11:13   #23

Much of my family has lived in SW Florida for more than 30-years, 20 of which were on canal front homes.

Almost every "canal" community has restrictions, which do not allow parking vehicles and RVs and trailers on residential lots. I am pretty sure they would not allow you to park a catamaran on a marine railroad built into a residential lot.

Quick check on Zillow for canal front lots where a 60' mast could be kept in the area from the Caloosahatchee River (Ft Myers) to the north side of Charlotte Harbor:

Cape Coral 6 lots $300K - $600K (Yacht Club area)
Cape Coral 5 lots $330K - $430K (inside locks)
Punta Gorda Isles 20+ lots $180K to $420K
Rotunda area (north side of Charlotte Harbor) more than 30 lots $140k to $430K
Old 20-02-2015, 12:26   #24

In Michigan where everyone has to take their boats out and put them somewhere for the winter people commonly winch out their pontoon boats and leave them onshore. The view you ruin is your own. You can modify up to 100 sq.ft. per year of beachfront without a permit. Maybe I could out fit her completely in bare fiberglass, sink her, and dingy inn. On the return trip I'd need an air compressor... :-)

Do many Cat owners purchase adjoining slips in less expensive areas? I really appreciate and have been following up on the comments so far!
Thenaz007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2015, 14:19   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by DotDun View Post
A permit for a ramp would involve all the environmental (state and fed) sign-offs for handling of runoff, water retention, etc., etc. A seawall with french-drain is already an approved build.

Not saying it can't be done, but it certainly involves more than a normal seawall.
How about a standard seawall but drop the top low to the water with ramp from there and a couple large steel beams that can slide out into the water. End result, you are building a seawall with no permanent structures in the waterway.
Old 20-02-2015, 14:22   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by TacomaSailor View Post
"I'm guessing here but maybe $20k for the concrete ramp and piles. Plus another $10k for the dollies and another $5k for the winch. If you can find an empty lot on a narrow canal (just wide enough to turn the boat around comfortably), you might be able to keep it down around $100k."

I'm guessing you have not looked at the cost of canal front lots that qualify as "sailboat access." If the lot is accessible by a boat with a mast greater than 65' (my 51' catamaran is 71') - you will be paying at least $250 per front foot and all the lots are over 100' wide.

We've looked and looked.
You just changed the rules. The original question was regarding boats in the mid-40' range and most limit the mast based on ICW limits. When you leave the realm of typical, you introduce other issues.

I assume you made a mistake on your lot price estimate because a 200' wide lot at $250/front foot would only be $50k.

I'm assuming this would not be in a prime community but a small backwater canal.
Old 20-02-2015, 14:40   #27

Quote:
How about a standard seawall but drop the top low to the water with ramp from there and a couple large steel beams that can slide out into the water. End result, you are building a seawall.
Codes vary, where I'm at the seawall cap has to be ~6' above 0 tide (mllw).

Not sure how you would construct a rail over that, seems like it would be 50+' out into the waterway.
Old 20-02-2015, 14:49   #28

Quote:
You just changed the rules. The original question was regarding boats in the mid-40' range and most limit the mast based on ICW limits. When you leave the realm of typical, you introduce other issues.

I assume you made a mistake on your lot price estimate because a 200' wide lot at $250/front foot would only be $50k.

I'm assuming this would not be in a prime community but a small backwater canal.
The OP opened the thread with:
"Any advice for docking a 47' x 26' catamaran in FL without breaking the bank?"

I am pretty sure there is no 47' catamaran with a mast shorter than 60'. We've been looking at canal front homes in SW Florida for over 20 years. During the last five years I've been looking for a 40' - 45' catamaran that we could take offshore and keep at a house in SW Florida that is "inside" the 55' clearance power lines and bridges. I have not found that cat yet.

And, a lot of the obstructions in SW are not ICW compliant even though they are on the ICW.

And yes, I missed a 0 - $2500 a foot for "sailboat access" canal frontage.
Old 22-02-2015, 16:24   #29

Boat: 295 Everglades CC twin 300 Yamaha

How about a Free Dock and /or Slip for a 39 to 45 vessel (Sail), No Fixed bridges, ocean access, on the main Fort Lauderdale New River.

My Home dock is 90ft long. The dock is located on the north fork of the New River in Fort Lauderdale. It has 30/50 amp, water and 8 ft depth at low tide. A safe and secure location. No better place to be during hurricane season. Best of all the dock is FREE and I'll help with the cleaning and up keep of your vessel. I Why?

I just sold my personal boat and I would like to offer free dock in exchange for using your vessel. I am a USG documented captain. (Credential available). I am the home owner and have my own business for 30 years. We can meet, visit the dock and see if this is an arrangement and friendship that we can work out. I work with a "vessel use agreement" which stipulates, no Chartering, vessel owner has rights to use and visit dock side at will, vessel may be removed from dock side at vessel owner's will without cause or notice. Again we can meet and iron out any of stipulations.

Not looking for a beat up vessels or project vessels. She must be must be in tip top shape and ready to sail. I will guaranty she will be kept in the same condition or better while in my use. One thing you can count on is your vessel will be cared for as if it was my own. This arrangement can be short term while I find my next dream vessel or long term if we can have a harmonious relationship.

This could represent a big savings to a vessel owner, especially to those vessel owners that are away seasonal and hire a captain to service their vessels. I know this is a unique arraignment; however it could be a win win endeavor. I have already successfully experienced this arraignment with two other vessel owners from France. I am available to pick up and deliver the vessel to my home dock.

Pictures attached are from my dock.
Lets talk and see if we can have an understanding.

Thank you
Captain Gus Alvarez
(954) 993-5425 or e-mail
kick1212 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-09-2020, 09:26   #30

We looked at Antares Catamarans. They are CE rated(Ocean) and can go anywhere. 62 foot mast height, 21 foot beam giver or take. 44' foot long. They can do the ICW giving you lots more options for marinas.
kathy5555555 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
catamaran, dock, Docking