Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-06-2015, 20:46   #1

Dolphin 460

We are moving to France and I'm close to buying a Dolphin 460 in the US. My wife wants to move first and buy in Europe which is probably a better idea but I want the Dolphin. Love the Dolphin and have looked for three years for a boat I love. Just the two of us sailing.

Any thoughts. I like the blue water capability, resale value, overall performance, and liveaboard value along with the shallow water capability when necessary.

She likes the lack of need for a transAtlantic crossing and we can use a deep draft monohull in the Med which is a less expensive boat.

Been looking for three years and it's time to buy. I like crossing the Atlantic after some Carib sailing.
jobberone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-06-2015, 23:09   #2

Boat: Fountaine Pajot Bahia 46 Maestro
Re: Dolphin 460

Not exactly sure what you are asking here? Yes the Dolphin is a lovely catamaran. I went for a day sail on one once in Australia when she was doing her world circumnavigtion...... nearly bought her but for the timing......

Is it that your wife does not want a catamaran or is worried about short hand sailing a catamaran or you want something cheaper or you are not happy with a monohull or ?????????
Old 28-06-2015, 23:51   #3

Nice Cat'. If you want to sail east across the Atlantic, you'd probably be wanting to leave from somewhere further north than the Caribbean.
44'cruisingcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-2015, 03:48   #4

Boat: Solaris Sunstar 36' catamaran

Airplane ticket for wife, crew for transatlantic?
Old 29-06-2015, 05:25   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiwikat View Post
Not exactly sure what you are asking here? Yes the Dolphin is a lovely catamaran. I went for a day sail on one once in Australia when she was doing her world circumnavigtion...... nearly bought her but for the timing......

Is it that your wife does not want a catamaran or is worried about short hand sailing a catamaran or you want something cheaper or you are not happy with a monohull or ?????????
No, she is relying on me to pick the boat. Yes, we are worried about the two of us sailing period as she has limited experience on a boat and I don't have a lot of time on a sailboat. Just basic training and certificates which means little.

I'm not worried about a transatlantic but she is.

She has a point about both flying to Europe to live and buying a boat there. It just won't be this one which I like very much.
Old 29-06-2015, 05:28   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by 44'cruisingcat View Post
Nice Cat'. If you want to sail east across the Atlantic, you'd probably be wanting to leave from somewhere further north than the Caribbean.
Going now might be a problem. Sailing the Caribbean now is also problematic but not a fatal flaw in buying.

Leaving from St Lucia seems to be an option but this time of year I don't know. I just don't have that knowledge and experience. Reading about it is good but not the same as knowing from experience.

We aren't ready sailing wise to cross the Atlantic.
Old 29-06-2015, 05:29   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by FSMike View Post
Airplane ticket for wife, crew for transatlantic?
This is my thoughts, too. We are waiting on a Schengen visa for her anyways.

Thanks all for the responses.

Is this too much boat for us?
Old 29-06-2015, 13:25   #8

Send a message via Yahoo to bvimatelot Send a message via Skype™ to bvimatelot

Too much boat: No - they're easily single-handed but its easier to gybe or tack, or "park"
them with a second person.

As for the trip - I think you're on the right lines: whatever you do, do not force or coerce your wife into going - it could put her off the game for life.

Transatlantic is NOT the same as cruising around the Caribbean (or the Med). Even broken into legs (US-Bermuda, Bermuda-Azores, Azores-wherever.you.are.ending up), you are still having to expect up to 3 weeks at sea, out of helicopter range and certainly a long ways away from the USCG! It requires a slightly different mind-set, and the necessary in-date safety gear to be carried.

All the best for the project and, having done this trip both ways several times, if I can be of any help, drop me a line. Tony
bvimatelot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-2015, 15:20   #9

Boat: O45 ordered

Quote:
Originally Posted by jobberone View Post
We are moving to France and I'm close to buying a Dolphin 460 in the US. My wife wants to move first and buy in Europe which is probably a better idea but I want the Dolphin. Love the Dolphin and have looked for three years for a boat I love. Just the two of us sailing.

Any thoughts. I like the blue water capability, resale value, overall performance, and liveaboard value along with the shallow water capability when necessary.

She likes the lack of need for a transAtlantic crossing and we can use a deep draft monohull in the Med which is a less expensive boat.

Been looking for three years and it's time to buy. I like crossing the Atlantic after some Carib sailing.
I hope you heard about hurricane season.
Multihull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-2019, 11:48   #10

Boat: Dolphin 460, 14m

I am responding to your old post. If you are still interested in a Dolphin 460, Finalmente is now for sale. She is loaded, in perfect condition, all new electronics and we just finished our 12th cruising year since we launched her in 2007. This year we will be cruising Greece and then back to Sicily for the winter. If you are still looking let me know. You will not find a better Dolphin 460 afloat.
Dolphin460 is offline   Reply With Quote