Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-07-2016, 04:35   #1

Boat: Dolphin 460, 14m
Dolphin 460 Catamaran Report

For all of you out there that are looking for a great preforming catamaran look at a used Dolphin 460. Thirty plus built and no structural failures. I have own my Dolphin since new in 2007 and I can tell you without reservation I have been very happy. I have own many boats during my lifetime and this Dolphin 460 for cruising has been perfect. If you have any questions or wish to learn more about the Dolphin 460 please post and I will respond. As for my polars, in 12 knots of true wind, no current and calm seas, I will be sailing at AWA 34 with a SOG of 7.5k. If the wind goes up to 14k my AWA can change to 33 with a SOG of 8.5k. With so many things that will change these numbers I would rather just say that I generally will be sailing higher and faster than most monohulls.
Dolphin460 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-08-2024, 19:13   #2

Re: Dolphin 460 Catamaran Report

this obviously an old post ...so have sent you a PM
but very keen to know more!
patsails is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-08-2024, 00:59   #3

Boat: FP Lavezzi 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by patsails View Post
this obviously an old post ...so have sent you a PM
but very keen to know more!
Yes old but good. Dolphin is in my top3 for upgrading in the next 3 years.
Awesome cat for the money they cost now, only the catanas 431 and 471/2 are on par with it. And the dolphin has the much better helm setup for bluewater cruising then Catana. Also side/forward facing U shape galley is superior.
Catana is a tad better build but that’s on a very high level.
Know a yacht club that has a bone stock 460 dolphin as their regatta cat, easy to single hand but if you wanna sail it on the edge you need at least 3 persons but then we talk SOG in the 20kn range….
CaptainRivet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-08-2024, 03:03   #4

Boat: Farr 50 Pilothouse

Anyone know what the bridgedeck clearance is on these?
Muaddib1116 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-08-2024, 06:24   #5

Fantastic boats. But you have to be a short king or you will bang your head all the time. Less than 6’ headspace at the helm. Less inside. Be prepared to be hunched. This is what stopped me from buying one
Sailingallday is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 30-08-2024, 07:17   #6

Boat: Shuttleworth Advantage

Hasn't Philipe Pouvreau just introduced an all new Dolphin 380. Not sure if they are being produced in the same yard as the 460 was in Brazil.
Tupaia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-08-2024, 13:31   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tupaia View Post
Hasn't Philipe Pouvreau just introduced an all new Dolphin 380. Not sure if they are being produced in the same yard as the 460 was in Brazil.
Sadly that 380 is a pure condo, even wider hulls then the 380 Lagoon and bridgedeck clearance looks even worse....
Old 30-08-2024, 13:32   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailingallday View Post
Fantastic boats. But you have to be a short king or you will bang your head all the time. Less than 6’ headspace at the helm. Less inside. Be prepared to be hunched. This is what stopped me from buying one
Really, less then 6" inside the saloon and hulls?
I am a giant 193cm so that's a miss fit then. Broker told me different. At the helm the 6ftbcan be fixed but in salon/hulls not.
That would suck...
Old Yesterday, 23:08   #9

I've been told that some areas are tight to a 6' person but seems strange to claim that's restricted at the helm ....especially when there's an opening in the coachroof?

they're obviously not flying massive sail area. I'd like to get the weight out of them and could be a good cruiser?

would love to find a polar diagrams for them

guess lack of info is typical of such small production

only wondering how much stern lounging space there is ...maybe out that ta le down to make a daybed ?

they look to be solidly built though

must say I'm tempted!
Old Today, 06:25   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by patsails View Post
I've been told that some areas are tight to a 6' person but seems strange to claim that's restricted at the helm ....especially when there's an opening in the coachroof?

they're obviously not flying massive sail area. I'd like to get the weight out of them and could be a good cruiser?

would love to find a polar diagrams for them

guess lack of info is typical of such small production

only wondering how much stern lounging space there is ...maybe out that ta le down to make a daybed ?

they look to be solidly built though

must say I'm tempted!
There are several videos and also reviews of the 460 dolphin that will answer this questions.
As they are semi custom they would all differ a bit but general layout and setup is given.
Just fly in to see the nearest to you and check it out in real life, no forum posts or virtual viewing can replace being on it and give it a test sail.
They are definitely worth looking at, for me the better catana 471 as you get more for the same money and protected helm. Build quality is on a high level, catana will be a notch better but at this age boat actual condition is what counts and a well care taken dolphin would be better then a so lala catana. Also systems used are cheaper, no decentralized electrics where when it breaks you have to invest 30-40k and install czone or alike because the original provider is not existing anymore and so do spare parts...
Old Today, 13:56   #11

Could you please share a link to the videos that address my questions? So far, I’ve only found broker walkthroughs.

I agree that the Dolphins seem to have superior finishes compared to other options. My father used to say that many people cant inspect an engine or are even able to .... the quality of a plane's engineering is often judged by the cleanliness of its seat coverings—a reflection of overall attention to detail. I'm sure there was some famous saying around that :P
The Dolphins' finishing touches, such as proper tabbing instead of silicone seams, reinforce this impression. While the Catana models offer significant advantages, such as ample sail area, spacious bunks, excellent storage, and a well-ventilated owner's head, I’ve noticed some issues with the newer switching systems.

Recently, I encountered a situation where a sophisticated switching system failed while offshore. The system restarted after a few minutes, but not before losing wind monitoring and radar synchronization—just as I was getting comfortable steering with the Code Zero in 20 knots of wind. This underscores the need for a manual backup board for emergencies.

I’m very interested in seeing a Dolphin in person, though the nearest one is a 30-hour round-trip flight away. My primary concern is resale value. As someone in my early 40s with a background in classic boats, I value craftsmanship and light displacement design over party-friendly features. However, I’ve heard differing opinions from newcomers to sailing who are in my price range, and I’m concerned that these boats might depreciate significantly.

Thanks for any insights or recommendations you can provide!

Tags
catamaran

« Catana 431 Cracks | - »