Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Today, 08:43   #1

down wind reefing???

hello, are tricks for downwind reefing in heavy wind?'thanks,,
beta600 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 09:25   #2
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Beneteau 432, C&C Landfall 42, Roberts Offshore 38
Re: down wind reefing???

I've read the aiming a blow torch at the base of the sail works wonders
MicHughV is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 10:23   #3

Re: down wind reefing???

Beta:

I see you are fairly new to seafaring :-)

Yes you CAN reef while running before the wind, but it ain't easy, and it can be dangerous, but sometimes it's the least of the dangers you face.

I dare say that it is often your ONLY choice in a catamaran if you have left reefing too late ,as newbies often do. I admit to the biases of a mono-man, but bringing a cat beam to the seas when Neptune is growling at you is a fearsome prospect, so heading into the eye of the wind, as we mono-men prefer to do, may not be an option for you. You timing would have to be spot on as you come "up and over". When you get to port, if you do, you'll have plenty of time to deal with the spoiled laundry :-)!

These difficulties are, of course, aggravated if you have roller furling for your mainsail, as catamarans tend to have, so deal with your mechanical problems - and you will have them - long before you ever have to reef.

There is really only one trick to reefing, particularly for newbies: "Reef early, reef often!"

Beyond that, all other "tricks" are dependent on how your boat is rigged and on YOUR competence as a seaman. We cannot know anything about either unless you tell us :-)!

Best o' luck to you.

TrentePieds
TrentePieds is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
wind