Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-03-2019, 03:50   #16

Boat: Endeavourcat 30
Re: Endeavourcat 30 New owner

Purrfect hums along nicely but I am thinking that the 121kg 60hp Yamaha could easily be replaced by a 64kg 25hp Yamaha. Are there any Endeavourcat 30 owners who feel that there are benefits in having the 60 hp on the tilting pod?
CapnBazza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-03-2019, 04:08   #17

Boat: Volkscruiser

CapnBazza if that is the Endeavour cat that was in Tin Can Bay then sailed to Melbourne I surveyed her back in 2013. Interesting she had no name back then.
Cheers
Fore and Aft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-03-2019, 04:26   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fore and Aft View Post
CapnBazza if that is the Endeavour cat that was in Tin Can Bay then sailed to Melbourne I surveyed her back in 2013. Interesting she had no name back then.
Cheers
That’s her alright and before that she sailed from the USA to Australia under the name Uhuru and, I have been led to believe, that was after she did the USA to Sweden and back trip. As a surveyor what are your thoughts on the 60 hp Yamaha? She would have had a 40hp when you surveyed her.
We’ll be taking her back up the coast slowly over the next year or so. Would you believe that there is snow forecast for Tasmania, Victoria and Southern NSW this weekend? It’s too cold and miserable down here for human beings.
Old 29-03-2019, 04:47   #19

Boat: 38/41 Fountains pajot

We installed an on demand propane water heater in the port forward locker it worked perfectly, used very little propane and hot water whenever you wanted it.

Ours came with a 25 HP honda we replaced it with a 40 efi Honda as it was a great deal. No matter what prop the extra HP made no difference on its hull speed and the engine had a hard time achieving proper rpm, there is zero benefit of that much more HP. I'd sell it and buy a 20 or 25.
Other wise great little boat. We sold ours to go bigger but still talk about that little cat.
Dulcesuenos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-03-2019, 04:58   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dulcesuenos View Post
We installed an on demand propane water heater in the port forward locker it worked perfectly, used very little propane and hot water whenever you wanted it.

Ours came with a 25 HP honda we replaced it with a 40 efi Honda as it was a great deal. No matter what prop the extra HP made no difference on its hull speed and the engine had a hard time achieving proper rpm, there is zero benefit of that much more HP. I'd sell it and buy a 20 or 25.
Other wise great little boat. We sold ours to go bigger but still talk about that little cat.
Wow! Thank you squire, that’s the sort of advice I was hoping to get when I initiated this thread. The 60 only has 130 hours on it. I’ll have a yarn with the local Yamaha dealer and see if we can do a swap for the new F25LC. Losing nearly 60kg hanging off the transom has to be a good thing.
We have bought a 10 litre 240/12v Duoetta water heater. Hot shower will quickly cool down - saves water.
Old 29-03-2019, 06:06   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by CapnBazza View Post
That’s her alright and before that she sailed from the USA to Australia under the name Uhuru and, I have been led to believe, that was after she did the USA to Sweden and back trip. As a surveyor what are your thoughts on the 60 hp Yamaha? She would have had a 40hp when you surveyed her.
We’ll be taking her back up the coast slowly over the next year or so. Would you believe that there is snow forecast for Tasmania, Victoria and Southern NSW this weekend? It’s too cold and miserable down here for human beings.
Good to see our old Uhuru
We bought her in Panama 2007. Stayed 6 months exploring Panama and then took of to cross the South Pacific...and we finally got into Bundaberg where she was sold within a week or so.

you can read some from our old sailing blog

About the outboard...I would sell it and downsize. We had 40hp and even that felt a bit over kill. I think 25hp is perfect.

I wish u all the best with your new boat!
andreas.mehlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-03-2019, 12:54   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by andreas.mehlin View Post
Good to see our old Uhuru
We bought her in Panama 2007. Stayed 6 months exploring Panama and then took of to cross the South Pacific...and we finally got into Bundaberg where she was sold within a week or so.

you can read some from our old sailing blog

About the outboard...I would sell it and downsize. We had 40hp and even that felt a bit over kill. I think 25hp is perfect.

I wish u all the best with your new boat!
Thank you Andreas. We now have a near new, perfect but too big, 60hp Yamaha Four Stroke outboard motor for sale and we’ll be looking to replace it with the new 25hp model. It was your journey across the Pacific that convinced us that Purrfect was our next boat. We found her on the internet, talked to the broker, had a friend take a look at her, paid a deposit, sold our Seacraft Caravel and loaded up the car and trailer for a 3000km trip to buy her. She’s showing her age but still beautiful.
Old 30-03-2019, 06:06   #23

We have a Yamaha F25 on our 1992 Endeavourcat 30 and have no complaints. A buddy that’s a tech for Yamaha told me it’s better to get a bit higher rpms and not lug the motor for longer life. So we did a stock prop and no tilt electric start. Zips along just fine. Watch the weight though. You can drop your Hull speed from 7knots to 5-5.5 with an extra thousand pounds of weight. We have friends in a 94’ that are currently in the Bahamas. They completely went through theirs and probably know about everything there is to know about the Endeavourcat 30. So if you find a Endeavourcat group or find one let us know. How many were made anyhow? Maybe we are the group?! LOL
Rooster2b8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-03-2019, 18:07   #24

Boat: Volkscruiser

Bazza I am with the rest of them a smaller outboard makes way more sense. The weight saving alone is well worth doing. Is the starboard side bulkhead still out of alignment? If I remember rightly it had moved slightly?
Cheers
Fore and Aft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-03-2019, 18:14   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fore and Aft View Post
Bazza I am with the rest of them a smaller outboard makes way more sense. The weight saving alone is well worth doing. Is the starboard side bulkhead still out of alignment? If I remember rightly it had moved slightly?
Cheers
Hi Drew. Yes, I’m going to try to sell the 130 hour, 2016 Yamaha F60LB outboard for about $6,200 and, if successful, buy a Yamaha F25LC to replace it.
The starboard side bulkhead is still out of alignment. There is a little movement and I’m going to try putting things back in place and securing it. It is, however, good to know that it has been like that for years. It’s obviously not going to sink the boat.
Old 02-04-2019, 13:01   #26

Boat: Endeavour 30 catamaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rooster2b8 View Post
We have a Yamaha F25 on our 1992 Endeavourcat 30 and have no complaints. A buddy that’s a tech for Yamaha told me it’s better to get a bit higher rpms and not lug the motor for longer life. So we did a stock prop and no tilt electric start. Zips along just fine. Watch the weight though. You can drop your Hull speed from 7knots to 5-5.5 with an extra thousand pounds of weight. We have friends in a 94’ that are currently in the Bahamas. They completely went through theirs and probably know about everything there is to know about the Endeavourcat 30. So if you find a Endeavourcat group or find one let us know. How many were made anyhow? Maybe we are the group?! LOL

Here is the the layout showing all the factory options. Might want to take a look at the Yamaha 25 high thrust that is designed for sailboats.
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8289.jpg
Views:	344
Size:	439.9 KB
ID:	189236
landlockedgm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2019, 13:14   #27

Boat: Endeavour 30 catamaran

Here is picture of the battery area modified to hold four GC2 golf cart batteries. It is mostly positioning and raising the lid for clearance. There is big area under the cockpit which is designated for the air conditioner which could be used to house water maker components.
.Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8262.jpg
Views:	152
Size:	84.1 KB
ID:	189237Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8260.jpg
Views:	144
Size:	66.0 KB
ID:	189238
landlockedgm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2019, 03:09   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by landlockedgm View Post
Here is the the layout showing all the factory options. Might want to take a look at the Yamaha 25 high thrust that is designed for sailboats.
Attachment 189236
Your hull speeds not going up. Maybe motors were a bit different back then too. We’ve spent two winters cruising Florida and Bahamas with an F25 Yamaha and never wished for more motor. Wished for more or less wind many times.
Rooster2b8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2019, 20:49   #29

Hi All,
Was glad to see this recent post.
I'm on the hunt for an Endeavor 30 to cruise the Bahamas & Keys and would like to get some honest answers from owners about bridge deck slap.
Is it a factor?

Also, real world sailing nature, good or bad.
Salon head room? (not in the hulls)

Thanx all!
Fishguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2019, 03:27   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishguy View Post
Hi All,
Was glad to see this recent post.
I'm on the hunt for an Endeavor 30 to cruise the Bahamas & Keys and would like to get some honest answers from owners about bridge deck slap.
Is it a factor?

Also, real world sailing nature, good or bad.
Salon head room? (not in the hulls)

Thanx all!
We haven’t had Purrfect long enough to make any useful comments on sailing or bridge deck slap. We motored for three hours into a light breeze on the way to a lift out and survey. Dead into the wind there was some bridge deck slap but it disappeared once we were about 20 degrees off wind.
Headroom in the saloon, no, enough room to sit without feeling cramped and I guess about 4’6”.
We’re busy cleaning, exploring the cavities, installing equipment etc.

Tags
endeavour