Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-05-2020, 11:54   #76

Boat: Endeavourcat Sailcat 44
Re: Endeavourcat 30 New owner

My Endeavourcat is a 44 and was originally equipped with lazy jacks that were on the spreaders. Six years ago I got a new sail and a Doyle stack pack which was run through new blocks on the mast. The battens are now a pain in the *** when the sail is going up because they get caught on the Lazyjacks. That being said the sail does come down a lot nicer and never falls off the boom which was a problem with the originals. I have learned to deal with the battens getting caught by being quite careful about winching the sail up when a batten is about to catch on the lazyjacks. On the other hand I don't have the back half of the sail on my solar panels when bringing it down. I guess it's a matter of pick your poison.
Captain Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2020, 15:43   #77

Boat: Endeavourcat 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Bill View Post
My Endeavourcat is a 44 and was originally equipped with lazy jacks that were on the spreaders. Six years ago I got a new sail and a Doyle stack pack which was run through new blocks on the mast. The battens are now a pain in the *** when the sail is going up because they get caught on the Lazyjacks. That being said the sail does come down a lot nicer and never falls off the boom which was a problem with the originals. I have learned to deal with the battens getting caught by being quite careful about winching the sail up when a batten is about to catch on the lazyjacks. On the other hand I don't have the back half of the sail on my solar panels when bringing it down. I guess it's a matter of pick your poison.
Hi again Captain Bill and thank you for your message.

You have answered the question of why put the lazy jacks higher on the mast. “On the other hand I don't have the back half of the sail on my solar panels when bringing it down.” I also have solar panels on the bimini. Now, like you, I’ll have to pick my poison. The LJs are attached to the stack pack and this may be good enough to contain the main. The battens catching on the main are a serious pain so I’m going to put the LJs back on the spreaders and see how that goes. Thanks for your help.

Cheers, Bazza.
CapnBazza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2020, 12:08   #78

I see you are an owner of an Endeavourcat 30. We are currently buying one now and very excited to be a new Endeavourcat 30 owner. We have a question about emergency tiller. We think the boat has one but we are not familiar on how to make it work. Do you or anyone here have an idea how to make this work?
BrianWicklund is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2020, 13:38   #79

Boat: Endeavour 30 catamaran

Congratulations on your new boat!
The emergency tiller is located under the helm hatch, two pieces of aluminum about 3ft long.On the starboard steps you will find a 4 inch port hole. Take the cover off and the starboard rudder shaft will be below. Insert the tiller and good to go.
landlockedgm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2020, 15:22   #80

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianWicklund View Post
I see you are an owner of an Endeavourcat 30. We are currently buying one now and very excited to be a new Endeavourcat 30 owner. We have a question about emergency tiller. We think the boat has one but we are not familiar on how to make it work. Do you or anyone here have an idea how to make this work?
As landlockedgm said but make sure you have a means of opening the brass plate. I have a piece of wood with 2 set screws that fit the holes in the plate and provide some leverage.
Old 07-10-2020, 22:54   #81

Hello Endeavourcat 30 friends. We were wondering if anyone knows what this gauge is for as shown on the right on the attached photo. The left gauge says Fuel, and the right gauge shows an icon I am not recognizing.

Old 07-10-2020, 22:59   #82

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianWicklund View Post
Hello Endeavourcat 30 friends. We were wondering if anyone knows what this gauge is for as shown on the right on the attached photo. The left gauge says Fuel, and the right gauge shows an icon I am not recognizing.

I believe it tells you the water level in your water tank">fresh water tank.
Old 07-10-2020, 23:04   #83

Quote:
Originally Posted by CapnBazza View Post
As landlockedgm said but make sure you have a means of opening the brass plate. I have a piece of wood with 2 set screws that fit the holes in the plate and provide some leverage.
Thank you both! I see this plate at the steps on the starboard transom. I believe this is the access plate.

Also, here are a few pictures of the boat we are buying, Sirius Bliss, which used to be called Hakuna Matata. We were wondering if anyone here is familiar with this boat.

We really like the arch with the stadium seating:
Old 08-10-2020, 04:41   #84

Boat: Endeavour Catamaran 36'

Probably fresh water tank level.
We have the same two on our '98 Endeavourcat 36, although the gauge face itself is different.
Mike Cunningham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2021, 05:11   #85

Hallo Capn Bazza
greetings from a cold New York City. I was browsing the web as I was missing my old mistress, Uhuru, and found this uplifting thread. To add to Captain Andreas (hallo to you too) , I was the previous owner in Panama. So to complement the history to the beginning of this boat. It was named "Paradigm lost" and bought new by an american career military person, who sailed it from florida to Panama when Panama still included the US canal zone. He actually lived aboard the boat as it was docked by the Pacific Entrance to the canal at the balboa yacht club. When the canal zone was handed over to panama in 2000, he sold the boat to a british engineer working for cable & wireless. He brought the boat into the canal area and up on land at the pedro miguel boatyard, to make modifications and an overhaul. He never got to enjoy his investment as he was transferred to Europe. So when lucky me got a job in panama in 2001, I found the boat with everything newly fixed, including a spanking new Honda 25HP fourstroke, sprayhood, water tank mods etc. We renamed the boat "Uhuru", freedom in Swahili, as we have history working in Kenya. The Honda was the ideal engine, until it broke due to a construction flaw a few year later. I unfortunately bought a 40HP 2stroke that Andreas inherited, but would have been better to stay with the 25hp. I enjoyed the boat with my wife and three small children, sailing in paradise waters in the pacific, narrowly escaping a humpback whale and often in company of hundreds of spinning dolphins. After five years we sold the bought to Andreas and saw them set sail towards australia. We were worried and followed them cautiously online until we heard the boat was sold at their destination. What a story this boat has. It has provided many happy memories for many people, and congratulation to you for taking her over, and for the amazing work you have done. Chris .
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P1030231.jpg
Views:	97
Size:	453.3 KB
ID:	233235   Click image for larger version

Name:	November 2002_2 042.jpg
Views:	80
Size:	130.4 KB
ID:	233236  

Name:	canal.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	60.8 KB
ID:	233237  
chrislarsson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2021, 11:38   #86

Boat: Volkscruiser

Chris thanks for sharing that information. I surveyed her after she arrived in Australia and was amazed she had crossed the Pacific. If my memory serves me right the starboard hull bulkhead was slightly crooked but the rest of the boat was fine.
Cheers
Fore and Aft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2021, 17:21   #87

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrislarsson View Post
Hallo Capn Bazza
greetings from a cold New York City. I was browsing the web as I was missing my old mistress, Uhuru, and found this uplifting thread. To add to Captain Andreas (hallo to you too) , I was the previous owner in Panama. So to complement the history to the beginning of this boat. It was named "Paradigm lost" and bought new by an american career military person, who sailed it from florida to Panama when Panama still included the US canal zone. He actually lived aboard the boat as it was docked by the Pacific Entrance to the canal at the balboa yacht club. When the canal zone was handed over to panama in 2000, he sold the boat to a british engineer working for cable & wireless. He brought the boat into the canal area and up on land at the pedro miguel boatyard, to make modifications and an overhaul. He never got to enjoy his investment as he was transferred to Europe. So when lucky me got a job in panama in 2001, I found the boat with everything newly fixed, including a spanking new Honda 25HP fourstroke, sprayhood, water tank mods etc. We renamed the boat "Uhuru", freedom in Swahili, as we have history working in Kenya. The Honda was the ideal engine, until it broke due to a construction flaw a few year later. I unfortunately bought a 40HP 2stroke that Andreas inherited, but would have been better to stay with the 25hp. I enjoyed the boat with my wife and three small children, sailing in paradise waters in the pacific, narrowly escaping a humpback whale and often in company of hundreds of spinning dolphins. After five years we sold the bought to Andreas and saw them set sail towards australia. We were worried and followed them cautiously online until we heard the boat was sold at their destination. What a story this boat has. It has provided many happy memories for many people, and congratulation to you for taking her over, and for the amazing work you have done. Chris .
Thanks Chris for filling in more details on Purrfect’s née Uhuru’s proud history.
We were thinking that you had sailed her from the USA to Sweden and back but your message has set the record straight. Nevertheless, it was Andreas’ crossing of the Pacific which convinced us in March 2019 to load up our car, rooftop pod and trailer and travel 3000 kms from home to Melbourne to buy her. After that we spend the rest of 2019 to make her seaworthy again and comfortable for extended cruising before heading out of Port Phillip Bay to take her home to the Whitsundays in North Queensland.
We made a left turn into Lakes Entrance to have a look at the Gippsland Lakes and then Covid19 visited Australia and indeed the whole world. We were unable due to lockdowns and lockouts to cross the border into NSW until July by which time the prevailing winds were against us. Slowly, very slowly when the winds briefly turned our way, we headed North and then, 5 days from Queensland, we were locked out again. Eventually we arrived in South East Queensland in November, found a private pontoon to secure Purrfect, trucked our car up from Victoria because border restrictions prevented us from getting it ourselves and drove home to tend to the tropical jungle we had left 9 months earlier.
Purrfect is a delightful small cruising cat. Roomy enough for two and our supply of red wine, cheese and biscuits etc. and we’re looking forward to continuing our trip North.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	D34263E1-0202-485B-8445-6753BB8CA13F.jpeg
Views:	67
Size:	112.2 KB
ID:	233278  
Old 24-02-2021, 17:54   #88

As for the cruise ....
We were pleased that we still had the 60 hp high thrust Yamaha, particularly when crossing river bars. Even with 5 knot outgoing tides, at 3000rpm Purrfect goes where I point her. Motor sailing at about 1400rpm we sat comfortably with very little wind on 5 - 6 knots and she handled the notorious Bass Strait well - as long as we made sure the wind was not from ahead of the beam. Loaded as she was, attempting to sail to windward proved that she can sail backwards. we occasionally had 15 - 20 knots abaft the beam and then we sailed at about 6.5 - 7 knots.
Her accommodations suit extended cruising and we were very pleased that the structural modifications, fitting the washing machine and the tv to starboard and the microwave in the galley etc as well as the 4 x 380w solar panels and new davits, stood up to the occasional pounding into waves when the forecast 10knots SE breeze turned into 30knots from the North. When she pounds, she pounds!
As previous monohull sailors we enjoyed parking in areas where we previously could not but we also learned to make sure the bottom was flat(ish) so we didn’t roll out of bed at 3am when the tide left us high and dry with one hull on the sandbank and the other in the channel. Night anchoring can be interesting.
Old 24-02-2021, 18:08   #89

Covid and the weather gods permitting we will rejoin Purrfect next month. Plans are to lift her, probably give her another few coats of antifouling and do some work on the hydraulically articulated motor pod which has a very slow leak in some part of the hydraulic system.
I have noticed that some Endeavourcat30s do not have the articulated pod. Our Yamaha has its own tilt and I’m thinking we could shorten the pod bringing the motor about 10” closer to the transom which would make launching and retrieving the tender much easier and fixing the pod permanently removing the weight and complexity of the hydraulics.
On the other hand, I could top up the reservoir and continue sailing.
It will be another slow trip. There are lots of beautiful places to explore on our way North and this time we make no commitments to be anywhere at any particular time. We have made that mistake before.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	EEC3937E-14A8-4E62-AB01-15AB8687CBBB.jpeg
Views:	66
Size:	159.4 KB
ID:	233280   Click image for larger version

Name:	B83F7160-546F-4366-A8EA-8E6B0A4B7702.jpeg
Views:	64
Size:	94.8 KB
ID:	233281  

Name:	F80B2D3B-977F-48A2-BA00-9E49C6129E74.jpeg
Views:	68
Size:	135.0 KB
ID:	233282   Click image for larger version

Name:	6B6D697D-B069-4BEF-83CC-A00A5F2F83BF.jpeg
Views:	70
Size:	130.3 KB
ID:	233283  

Old 25-02-2021, 04:56   #90

What an amazing journey, and quite jealous, Australia and NZ is on my bucket list when I retire in a few years time. As I was looking at the pictures I remembered a few things. Just if you wonder what that little added shelf is next to the engine lift , above where the cables come out. The owner before me added that to place a small generator. For the hydralic lift itself, I recall it consisted of mercruiser parts and it was a bit of a pain to access. As a matter of fact, what struck me when i bought the boat was that so many fittings were actually not marine fittings originally but for American RVs, not really suited for marine climate. So previous owners had replace things over time. I can see you made many needed upgrades. With regards to the major upgrades the guy before me did, adding a second large watertank was the most appreciated. It balanced the boat better, and it was necessary in panama because there was nowhere to fill water at the islands in the panama bay. So once you left panama city you had to be self sufficient, not use the shower too much etc. Also having a (too) large gas tank under the double port bunk with petrol sloshing around at night, and difficult to keep smell free, was not a good idea. But perhaps this was a better configuration for weekly sails, than long distance sails. I also recall that the steering wiring system were a bit rudimentary on the boat and that they sometimes needed readjustment, and it was good having spare wire for that. Actually, I found a lot on the boat was not too sophisticated so that you could fix or modify with more generic parts, which i liked being in panama at the time with limited supply of marine parts. In any event. Nice to connect!! So much fun to hear about all your adventures.
chrislarsson is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
endeavour