Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-02-2021, 00:29   #91

Boat: Endeavourcat 30
Re: Endeavourcat 30 New owner

Hi Chris. We still have the port side plastic water tank. The large aluminium water tank, I think it used to be a fuel tank, on the starboard side was rather a big mess, possibly a reaction between chlorine in water and Al+++, but, after scraping, scratching and sanding and the coating it with Jotun Primer and Tank Guard, it is back in use. The little platform now supports a 9kg LPG bottle for the bbq. I suspect that the steering system may have had a major overhaul when the new 60hp Yamaha was installed. The Yammie is tied into the steering system making the boat highly manoeuvrable. After sailing long keel monos I was pleasantly surprised with reverse steering. Point the motor and the boat follows. All up, we’re very pleased with Purrfect. She’s perfect for us.
CapnBazza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-05-2021, 06:34   #92

Boat: Endeavourcat30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fore and Aft View Post
CapnBazza if that is the Endeavour cat that was in Tin Can Bay then sailed to Melbourne I surveyed her back in 2013. Interesting she had no name back then.
Cheers
Hi Endeavourcat 30 owner. I have obe also and am looking for a new steering cable for a 1993. Do you happen to have any information where to obtain one?
Vaughan6799 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-05-2021, 17:15   #93

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vaughan6799 View Post
Hi Endeavourcat 30 owner. I have obe also and am looking for a new steering cable for a 1993. Do you happen to have any information where to obtain one?
G’day from Downunder (aka Australia). Hope you’re enjoying your EndeavourCat as much as we are. My steering cable appears to be a length of flexible wire rope which should be available from any marine chandler. As we believe that we have the only EndeavourCat30 in Australia I’m sure that there will be no supplier of parts for it down here. EndeavourCat still has a presence in the USA, you could try them.Cheers, Bazza.
Old 09-09-2021, 19:53   #94

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Americat

If you have not found a source for your steering cable. There is a forum for Intercat / Endeavourcat / C-Cat / Americat that is mostly forgotten, but still has information that might be useful for you. It has some leads that might help you find steering cables. If I am allowed to attach the forum, it is located at: https://intercat.phaup.net/forum/index.php
Mr. Phaup had an Intercat 1500 and is very well versed in all of the different boats and is also a really good guy. He will have to give you permission to access the forum. He is also looking to offload the job of maintaining the site. If he does not respond, I can copy what looks to be of interest.
The different boats above used very similar hulls and were built at the Endeavour factory for a time.

Good Luck,

Dave
Americat3014 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-07-2022, 17:42   #95

Hi folks, greetings from Down Under. My 1992 EndeavourCat30 hydraulic pod has developed a serious problem. After a 7 month period of inactivity it now operates extremely slowly and draws nearly 150 amps. I could transcribe my entire hydraulics knowledge on a postage stamp with a texta so I am only guessing at what the problem might be. There is plenty oil in the reservoir. I have cleaned the electrical connections and the fact that it can draw 150 amps (but the system voltage drops from ~13v to ~10v whilst doing so and that could be another clue) indicates that maybe power supply is not an issue. I suspect a blockage in the plumbing. Does this setup have a filter? Is there a bleed valve? Is the problem likely in the pump or in the connecting hoses or the piston? Can some body give me some info on the system itself, I can’t find a name or other identifying details.

All suggestions greatly appreciated.

Warm regards,

Bazza.
Old 01-08-2022, 12:25   #96

Boat: Endeavour 30 catamaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by CapnBazza View Post
Hi folks, greetings from Down Under. My 1992 EndeavourCat30 hydraulic pod has developed a serious problem. After a 7 month period of inactivity it now operates extremely slowly and draws nearly 150 amps. I could transcribe my entire hydraulics knowledge on a postage stamp with a texta so I am only guessing at what the problem might be. There is plenty oil in the reservoir. I have cleaned the electrical connections and the fact that it can draw 150 amps (but the system voltage drops from ~13v to ~10v whilst doing so and that could be another clue) indicates that maybe power supply is not an issue. I suspect a blockage in the plumbing. Does this setup have a filter? Is there a bleed valve? Is the problem likely in the pump or in the connecting hoses or the piston? Can some body give me some info on the system itself, I can’t find a name or other identifying details.

All suggestions greatly appreciated.

Warm regards,

Bazza.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1659379176.194062.jpg
Views:	76
Size:	69.4 KB
ID:	262040
Here is a picture of system. the valve in the middle is under the helm chair, high up on the aft wall. It is used to bleed oil out to let it down in case the down switch doesn’t work. It makes a mess if you open it! The down switch opens a valve in the pump assembly to let the oil go back into the tank. Up switch turns on the pump and it fills the cylinder to lift the motor. To work on it we use our dinghy lift line off the arch to hold the motor up. You can use that to help lift it to make sure it does go all the way up and comes down with down switch. That will let you know nothing is binding in the pivot.
We replaced all the lines don’t remember any problems with air in the system. You could bleed it at the port line at the pump. Usually any air will work itself out.
Make sure the tank is full and then I would pull the the line off the piston side of cylinder and run the pump and see if it pumps with good flow and the amp draw goes down. That might free up everything in the pump.If it has very little flow and the amps are high then there is something stuck in the pump.
Remember you are dealing with high pressure so be careful when the pump is running. A pinhole leak can inject fluid into your body.
Ours has a 30 amp fuse in that circuit so the wires don’t melt down!
Good luck!
landlockedgm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2022, 16:29   #97

Thank you for your assistance. I have not considered the possibility that something could be binding in the pivot mechanism but it could explain the problem. I assumed that the system pumped the pod down as well as up and that the tortuous down travel would be a clear indication that the system has a blockage. However, if opening a valve lets the motor down by gravity it makes sense that the pivot bearings might be the problem. I will investigate when I get back to the boat and keep you informed. Meanwhile, thank you and cheers.
Old 04-12-2022, 00:19   #98

Quote:
Originally Posted by landlockedgm View Post
That outboard should have NMEA 2000 output which will hook up to the chartplotter and give you real time fuel consumption plus track total fuel used.
Sorry about the slow response but yes, you’re right and I now have it. It’s great for working out how to get the best mileage and gives heaps of other info.
Old 04-12-2022, 00:39   #99

Quote:
Originally Posted by landlockedgm View Post
Attachment 262040
Here is a picture of system. the valve in the middle is under the helm chair, high up on the aft wall. It is used to bleed oil out to let it down in case the down switch doesn’t work. It makes a mess if you open it! The down switch opens a valve in the pump assembly to let the oil go back into the tank. Up switch turns on the pump and it fills the cylinder to lift the motor. To work on it we use our dinghy lift line off the arch to hold the motor up. You can use that to help lift it to make sure it does go all the way up and comes down with down switch. That will let you know nothing is binding in the pivot.
We replaced all the lines don’t remember any problems with air in the system. You could bleed it at the port line at the pump. Usually any air will work itself out.
Make sure the tank is full and then I would pull the the line off the piston side of cylinder and run the pump and see if it pumps with good flow and the amp draw goes down. That might free up everything in the pump.If it has very little flow and the amps are high then there is something stuck in the pump.
Remember you are dealing with high pressure so be careful when the pump is running. A pinhole leak can inject fluid into your body.
Ours has a 30 amp fuse in that circuit so the wires don’t melt down!
Good luck!
Thanks to your advice I mustered up sufficient courage to pull the pump assembly out, identify it and seek further information. I found a very helpful Australian distributor and pulled the machine apart, cleaned it up and reassembled it. It still draws a lot of amps but so does my 12v water maker pump when I up the pressure so I suspect that it is normal.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	E9760A16-CF79-456A-A296-BAE66447A98C.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	430.7 KB
ID:	268305  

Tags
endeavour