Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 30-09-2009, 08:18   #1

Engine Mount Problems with Robertson and Caine 'Leopard' 43

During a recent yearly haulout of our Robertson and Caine Leopard 43 Catamaran we noted some play in one of the shafts. When the cutless bearing was removed for replacement the mechanic noted that the shart moved over significantly. When he went to check the engine allignment he noted that three of four engine mounting bolts had sheard off. These are the large bolts the engines actually rest on, not the bolts that attach to the stringers on the boat.
We ordered new mounts from Yanmar. We were told by the yanmar represetnative that the most likely factor contributing to premature failure of the engine mounting bolts was poor engine allignment.
When we checked the other engine we found that 3/4 engine mounting bolts had sheared off as well! Our primary concern is with safety. We cruise with our three small children. Had this problem not been caught, the result might have been stranding in the middle of the ocean, or worse. We recently returned from a long cruise in the Bahamas. The boat ran well with no unusual vibration. We check the engines routinely for oil, coolant, belt tension, etc, and always before a long day of anticipated motoring. I frequently check the shafts for play. In all instances, there were no warning signs. We are wondering if anyone else has had problems with failure of the engine mounting bolts?
dksalvador is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-2009, 08:44   #2
cruiser

Boat: Morgan 33 OutIsland, Magic and 33' offshore scott design "Cutting Edge"
Definately wouldn't use the same mounts. Pascoe at Marinesurvey.com has some excellent online articles on engine alignment/motor mount problems. He goes over procedure and best style mounts to use. Recommend reading.
Steve
forsailbyowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2009, 19:52   #3

Thanks for the advice!!! I will do the reseach.
dksalvador is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2009, 20:39   #4

Boat: sold Now motor cruiser
Wow! Another + for my 7.5Hps. You might check R&D Marine Ltd for replacement type. I can't say how ood they are but turned up when I was looking for Yanmar replacements

Regards Bill
bill good is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
engine, leopard