Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-02-2012, 16:12   #241
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64
Re: Explanation for the Increase in Multihull Popularity

Quote:
Originally Posted by smj View Post
I didn't reply to these items as I don't have a good enough knowledge to do so. The items I didn't agree with I commented on. Fair enough?
It would certainly be, but you wrote:

Quote:
Most your points were about as far from the truth as it gets.
It would help if you name the points in that case.

ciao!
Nick.
Old 27-02-2012, 16:15   #242
smj

Boat: TRT 1200
Quote:
Originally Posted by s/v Jedi

It would certainly be, but you wrote:

It would help if you name the points in that case.

ciao!
Nick.
I sorry I thought it was pretty much self explanatory. I gave an explanation to the ones I thought were lame.
Old 27-02-2012, 16:25   #243

Boat: Outremer 40/43

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sand crab View Post
They discovered warp drive and mated with green women.
Gentlemen please.

First I am curious to know if the flying cat landed in something resembling a a controlled crash or was it a total pitch pole ??

But more important.. Lets put it like this:-
If Michael Winner was taking part in this discussion he would simply say..."calm down my dear. It's only a a forum..We (you) are preaching to the converted, pushing at an open door, tilting at windmills!!!

Please put things into perspective, we who sail proper boats look at the half boat (mono) sailers with a certain curiosity, like why do it? But even though we understand they have yet to reach true enlightenment we can and do acknowledge that half boat sailers are a whole step above those unatural abominations that buy two huge lumps of noisy, metal fuel guzzling propulsion units in a very large plastic box which they call a motor cruiser but which we know to be a gin and tonic platform.

Forsaking that even the gin and tonic drinkers are to be considered better than the heinous sin of standing on a plastic box with a but water pump known as a jet ski!!!! Yea though such foul creatures seem to be able to polute the waters with their foul imitation of the spray which flies from the bows of a true boat, they must be forgiven.

For all of us who use the seas and water can and must understand that even jet skiers are closer brothers than those who walk upon the land with a funny metal stick for the sole purpose of hitting a small white ball into a hole in the ground..

Otherwise known as GOLF!!!!!!
Old 27-02-2012, 16:36   #244

Boat: 34' Crowther tri sold 16' Kayak now

Did you notice the resemblance of the Enterprise starship to modern day cats. Twin hulls with drives and a center bridgedeck. This is Darwin at work. Someday we all will be sailing the galaxy with our multis. And plouffing lots and lots of green women.
Old 27-02-2012, 16:45   #245

Boat: too many

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sand crab View Post
Did you notice the resemblance of the Enterprise starship to modern day cats. Twin hulls with drives and a center bridgedeck. This is Darwin at work. Someday we all will be sailing the galaxy with our multis. And plouffing lots and lots of green women.
Bob,

I do believe you remember post #0, and the intended direction the OP (me) was hoping for, connections to Darwin and adaption of the species.
Old 27-02-2012, 17:04   #246

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 461

Quote:
First of Solaris built a wide range of catamarans. The one Brad owns was pulled of the old Cherokee 35 molds then had 5' added to the sterns. We owned a Cherokee for about 9 years. Not the fastest boat but definetly able to do at least half windspeed up
to 20'kts. Solaris also built a Sunstar 36. The Sumstar was pulled of a set of Lerouge molds. We owned one of those for 3 years. So not all Solaris cats are slow.
I was pretty impressed with the Sundeer 64 until I saw a YouTube video of one sailing. 10 kts of boat speed in 15 kts true wind
On the beam. Hell I could do better than that on my Seawind
Anybody that has done any cat sailing will know sailing down wind is a breeze. None of the roll wallow and broach of a monohull.
Yes the symmetrical spinnaker set of one bow on a cat is an easy thing to do, not on a monohull. Maybe with an assymetrical on a mono.
I listened with interest to one of your last posts thinking you had some good points. On this post in my opinion you come across
As a know it all armchair sailor with an axe to grind. Most your points were about as far from the truth as it gets.

OH MY i am an armchair sailor he he NOT YET about as far from the truth as it gets AYE RIGHT - well here is just one of my points PROVEN - spinnaker pole - what - no thanks - DONT NEED ONE

ATN Tacker

And i fly various Symmetrical spinnakers that are ex my one off Beneteau First 456 (built by CNB to win the Admirals Cup) without a pole.

I have been sailing a long long time - how any heavy weight displacement boat can sail Direct Down Wind at 9 knots in 18 knots TWS is magical i would say totally impossible as your BS = the APWS. 18 knots true with 9 knots directly away from the TWD leaves you with just 9 knots AWS to give 9 knots BS I dont think so - not even a Sundeer could do that i suspect - not that they would try as they are designed to sail on a reach. I thought it was well understood that DDW sailing is the slowest point of sail that is why we reach off for better VMG's and i was sure that every cat owner knew this and would not even think about sailing DDW.

Saw two Solaris's with identical detached bulkheads south coast of the UK around 15/20 years ago and that is a fact - were i at home i could post picture proof. You may note that i listed Solaris cats in my post - posted before the Solaris owner posted his post.

I dont have time or energy to go though the wonky thinking points one by one but i will accept your apology in advance in writing here would be nicer
Old 27-02-2012, 17:16   #247
smj

Quote:
Originally Posted by Highland Fling

OH MY i am an armchair sailor he he NOT YET about as far from the truth as it gets AYE RIGHT - well here is just one of my points PROVEN - spinnaker pole - what - no thanks - DONT NEED ONE

ATN Tacker

And i fly various Symmetrical spinnakers that are ex my one off Beneteau First 456 (built by CNB to win the Admirals Cup) without a pole.

I have been sailing a long long time - how any heavy weight displacement boat can sail Direct Down Wind at 9 knots in 18 knots TWS is magical i would say totally impossible as your BS = the APWS. 18 knots true with 9 knots directly away from the TWD leaves you with just 9 knots AWS to give 9 knots BS I dont think so - not even a Sundeer could do that i suspect - not that they would try as they are designed to sail on a reach. I thought it was well understood that DDW sailing is the slowest point of sail that is why we reach off for better VMG's and i was sure that every cat owner knew this and would not even think about sailing DDW.

Saw two Solaris's with identical detached bulkheads south coast of the UK around 15/20 years ago and that is a fact - were i at home i could post picture proof.

I dont have time or energy to go though the wonky thinking points one by one but i will accept your apology in advance in writing here would be nicer
No apology necessary!
On our Cherokee 35 in 20 kts of wind ddw with the spinnaker up
No doubt we would see over 10 kts. Brads boat same design 5' longer and not held back by the displacement theory should see better speeds.
Back to yer armchair!
Old 27-02-2012, 17:37   #248

Boat: TPI Lagoon 35ccc Catamaran designed by Morrelli & Melvin

Somehow we seem to have gotten off the title of this thread and the intent of the original post.

Getting kind of ugly, IMHO!
Old 27-02-2012, 17:47   #249

Quote:
I was pretty impressed with the Sundeer 64 until I saw a YouTube video of one sailing. 10 kts of boat speed in 15 kts true wind
On the beam. Hell I could do better than that on my Seawind
OKIDOKI try a comparison in 25/30 knots of breeze in an open sea passage then you might understand the logic behind the Sundeer and other Dashew boats......................rather surprisingly no one has mentioned that the Dashew's started off in Catamarans - very fast ones BUT when they wanted to go long distance cruising they came back to monohulls. Also the recent Caribbean 600 race 600 miles round various Caribbean islands NOT ONE cat showed up/finished not even a Gunboat and Paradox the 63 foot cruiser/racer trimaran was slower round the course than the fastest monohull

cants dont heel - you can leave your G&T sitting safely on the table

REALLY

Old 27-02-2012, 17:49   #250

Boat: too many

Quote:
Originally Posted by SearenitySail View Post
Somehow we seem to have gotten off the title of this thread and the intent of the original post.

Getting kind of ugly, IMHO!
Of the last 3 threads that I started, there have been over 600 posts, which normally is a good thing. The hard facts though is 2 of those 3 threads have the torch guns going, and as the OP I never intended that.

So, I have a thread running that because of the subject matter, will never go negative and has a high "cuteness" level, right here.....http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...-me-75531.html
Old 27-02-2012, 18:01   #251

Quote:
No apology necessary!
On our Cherokee 35 in 20 kts of wind ddw with the spinnaker up
No doubt we would see over 10 kts. Brads boat same design 5' longer and not held back by the displacement theory should see better speeds.
Back to yer armchair!
cant even stay on the point and address the points made sneakily upped the wind speed by more than 10% and suggests they 'might get' even higher boat speed..................nasty its not just simply deluded
Old 27-02-2012, 18:15   #252

Boat: 34' Crowther tri sold 16' Kayak now

Quote:
Originally Posted by deckofficer View Post
Bob,

I do believe you remember post #0, and the intended direction the OP (me) was hoping for, connections to Darwin and adaption of the species.
Obvously we are dealing with an advanced race here. When we mate with them our species will adapt and evolve exponentially. Actually I feel an exponential evolvement right now.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	marta_288x288.jpg
Views:	125
Size:	49.5 KB
ID:	38058  
Old 27-02-2012, 19:01   #253
smj

Quote:

cant even stay on the point and address the points made sneakily upped the wind speed by more than 10% and suggests they 'might get' even higher boat speed..................nasty its not just simply deluded
I can't get anything by you. Your taking all the fun out of this!
Old 27-02-2012, 19:05   #254
smj

Quote:

OKIDOKI try a comparison in 25/30 knots of breeze in an open sea passage then you might understand the logic behind the Sundeer and other Dashew boats......................rather surprisingly no one has mentioned that the Dashew's started off in Catamarans - very fast ones BUT when they wanted to go long distance cruising they came back to monohulls. Also the recent Caribbean 600 race 600 miles round various Caribbean islands NOT ONE cat showed up/finished not even a Gunboat and Paradox the 63 foot cruiser/racer trimaran was slower round the course than the fastest monohull

cants dont heel - you can leave your G&T sitting safely on the table

REALLY

I realize the Sundeer would out sail me in pretty any condition but admitting that in the last post wouldn't have been beneficial to my point. But seriously I thought the Sundeer in 15 kts of wind would have been doing hull speed.
Old 27-02-2012, 19:44   #255
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64

Quote:
I realize the Sundeer would out sail me in pretty any condition but admitting that in the last post wouldn't have been beneficial to my point. But seriously I thought the Sundeer in 15 kts of wind would have been doing hull speed.
I have video of a sea trial just after launch, in which the SD64 is par with wind speed. But that is just an empty hull so very light.

With just working sails, which includes a 95-100% jib, and in cruising configuration (loaded) the SD needs either more wind or more sails up to travel at hull speed with 15 knots of wind. We are always at hull speed at 18 knots wind, so the difference isn't that much.

When the two spinnakers go up everything changes of course

ciao!
Nick.
Closed Thread

Tags
multihull