Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-07-2021, 12:55   #1

Exploring cat life options, buying land in Florida?

I’m looking to buy a cat soon and start exploring the world that way. It seems as though some people keep a home port stateside and retreat there for cane season, and some maybe even spend more time. So I started poking around looking at properties, or submerged land (interesting concept lol) or shared docks where you can own a slip. There are many bare lots for sale in neighborhoods where all lots have a canal and I could park a boat there. Then I’d have a big yard! Chickens, tool shed, small rental house? Is anyone here doing this? I’ve seen some where the bare lot was restrictive to ban motorhomes as a permanent situation there but what about boats? I found what looked like people doing this from satellite views. Big boat parked in front of bare lots. Makes a certain amount of sense doesn’t it? And prices start at about 50k$.
There are a ton of places like this in the gulf along Florida to Texas, maybe not as many areas comparable but where else could this be possible in the Caribbean?
SV WELDER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2021, 13:02   #2

Re: Exploring cat life options, buying land in Florida?

There is a LOT of property for sale on the water down there. Really like thousands of available properties all up and down both sides of fla and prices vary wildly of course. Some rather big chunks of lank, 8ac for 150k$?! In the northwest that’s unimaginable on water of any kind.
Old 03-07-2021, 14:35   #3

Boat: Gemini 105Mc

Quote:
Originally Posted by SV WELDER View Post
Makes a certain amount of sense doesn’t it? And prices start at about 50k$.
There are a ton of places like this in the gulf along Florida to Texas, maybe not as many areas comparable but where else could this be possible in the Caribbean?
Woo-Wee........ You are missing a few zero's for empty lots in Florida......

If you find any at that price please PM me instantly....... You are more likely to find a house on a waterfront lot for less than an empty lot......:

https://www.realtor.com/realestatean...2_M50728-82894
Davy J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2021, 15:01   #4

I dunno I’m just poking around Zillow and yes they do seem to show not one but TONS of bare lots on canals for between 50-200k. Maybe not where you’d want them to be, but yes lots and I was only looking in places that I thought I could go in the sail boat too, there’s plenty more behind bridges.
Old 03-07-2021, 15:11   #5

Many/Most/All places in Florida restrict (or outright prohibit) living on boats in the canals.

It seems a to me good rule to have. Tidal flushing in most drainage canals is VERY limited, and accumulation of sewage would be a serious problem.

You certainly wouldn't tolerate all the houses along the canal dumping their raw sewage into the waterway, why should people on boats be tolerated doing that?
BillKny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2021, 16:02   #6

I’d assumed they called the guy to come pump them out or have their own septic on the lot?

Do people at anchor in bays pump their sewage out into the water?!
Old 03-07-2021, 17:15   #7

Boat: 2013 FP Lipari 41

Then there are the rules for which canals you may have a cat on, based on its beam. Then the docks which may be in disrepair or bulkheads where the city no longer makes repairs, etc…. Let us all know if you find a bunch of spots😀
LeeV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2021, 10:17   #8

Boat: Robt Beebe Passagemaker 49-10 in steel

I managed a condominium marina in the Florida Keys for 10 years and learned a lot about what Florida will and will not allow. There are several things to consider when contemplating buying a canal lot for the purposes of boat use. First off, understand that live aboard boaters are not looked upon favorably by many people in Florida. There a wide spread assumption that they do not pay taxes, they dump raw sewage in the water, they are a bunch of drunks or drug users, etc., etc., etc., i.e., "boat bums". Because of this, many municipalities make it as difficult as possible to be a live aboard.

Florida does not allow you to live aboard a boat on man-made residential waterways/canals. And, neighbors are quick to blow the whistle with local authorities if they think you're living on the boat because they're just sure you are dumping sewage into "their" canal. Facts don't matter... Sure, you could store your boat at a dock on your canal lot as long as you're not living aboard. But if you're thinking about using the land, consider that any "structures" must meet the building codes of the local municipality as well as the Corps of Engineers if it involves the water (docks and bulk heads). These codes seem to get more strict with every hurricane and every push by environmentalists. In addition to construction cost, consider items like site development, amount of land required to remain permeable vs non-permeable, a requirement for utilities, sewage disposal, storm water run-off management, bulk heads & docks (permits are getting harder to get), etc., as well as structures being required to meet Miami-Dade windstorm certification. The $$$ start to mount up, as do the maintenance costs. That inexpensive place to keep a boat and maybe have a storage shed starts to run into big bucks! It may be cheaper to buy a small waterfront home with a dock that can accommodate your boat.

Another option is to investigate established marinas where slips are owned in condominium form of ownership. These marinas likely have already complied with the local municipality rules and regulations (make sure to ask before buying), generally have electric, water and pump out at each slip, have a place for garbage disposal, laundry facilities, etc. A slip there may cost a little more up front than finding a vacant canal lot somewhere, but it may end up being less expensive and a safer investment in the long run.

Regarding the beam of a cat, a good rule of thumb, absent written local or Corps of Engineers regulations, is that the center 50% of the canal width must be left open for vessel navigation. In many residential canals, a wide beam catamaran at a dock would encroach into the navigable right of way, and again, neighbors WILL blow the whistle.

Just some stuff to think about. There may be places where you can get away with buying a lot and leaving your boat there, but just because you can do it now doesn't mean the rules won't be enforced and/or changed in the future.
mvmojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2021, 10:23   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by SV WELDER View Post
Do people at anchor in bays pump their sewage out into the water?!
No, never. That would be illegal. Nobody would do anything illegal.
BillKny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2021, 10:26   #10

Great answers thank you. Yes a slip is probably the easier more logical way to go about it. How common is it for a slip to include a small storage area or Peking spot for a car? Pretty common here in the PNW.
Old 04-07-2021, 15:14   #11

Boat: Shannon 38

We looked at the options and decided that a house well inland (and not in a hurricane evacuation zone) plus a mooring / slip at the municipal marina made a lot more sense. We landed in Titusville for the low cost of living and good marina. Previously, we lived in S FL and hurricane evacuations get old quickly.
Virginia Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2021, 18:55   #12

You might be better buying a small older home on the canal, then fixing it up to be very nice on the inside. Then AnB when your your not around, you will need to find someone to clean it as you wont be around to.
If the area has any attractions you might actually make money, or enough to cover the mortgage and taxes.
Old 04-07-2021, 22:17   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by fillintheblank View Post
You might be better buying a small older home on the canal, then fixing it up to be very nice on the inside. Then AnB when your your not around, you will need to find someone to clean it as you wont be around to.
If the area has any attractions you might actually make money, or enough to cover the mortgage and taxes.
Exactly, or at least rent to a little old lady to offset the mortgage
Old 04-07-2021, 22:18   #14

I believe that canals may pose issue. Is it safe to assume that large rivers and bays are less restrictive?
Old 05-07-2021, 06:37   #15

Boat: Lagoon TPI 37'

We looked into purchasing lot/house with dock or build a dock. It seemed lot/house outside of bridges with deep enough water was very very exposed! Meaning, on the edge of a bay or no protection from wind/waves. The lots we did find needed 200' dock to get to deep water at a cost of $30-50k. Plus, a boat left unattended (in our case) can be targeted for looting/theft.

We opted on the yacht club with a slip. Our membership is $1500/year and slip rental is only $8.50/ft. We have a sign with our phone number on the boat if there is a problem. Plus the dockmaster and many friends look at our boat every day with extra dock lines in cockpit if they need them and the authority to adjust if needed. We were able to purchase home 1block from yacht club, 1 block from beach, and 1 mile from downtown for 1/3rd of the price of canal home/lot/dock, and WE GET A FREE NIGHT AT MOST OTHER YACHT CLUBS. Plus, if we stay extra nights, it is basically $1-1.50 a foot. We have stayed at some great locations. Having a house 1 block from yacht club with air conditioning for wife is priceless. She has the house while I have the boat. When we have friends/family there are 3 beds on boat and 3 in house.

We have many friends at the yacht club that keep in touch regarding boat. Many have called me to let me know when diver was cleaning the bottom, when my brothers were loading on to the boat for a trip, high water alarm was sounding (stupid bilge switch), or bad weather was expected. Several people would add extra dock lines if needed. In fact my boat was one of three boats that survived with no damage in our yacht club with hurricane Sally. The boats to my right sank, behind me sank, boat to left damage. I can't say enough for our yacht club. The people that we have met are priceless. Plus, we have a bar/restaurant at our club that is 50 yards from the boat. The yacht club experience has been one of the best experiences. We have raft ups each month. Parties at each holiday. We are planning to travel with member/friends the entire 2020 year. Can't say enough about our yacht club. In our case, the dockmaster agreed to pull a piling for a double wide slip. No extra charge because they wanted more catamarans in the yacht club. Now we have 4.
sailingchiro is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
florida, buying