Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-12-2016, 08:13   #121

Re: Find That Perfect Spot With Your Drone

Quote:
Originally Posted by SYNADINE View Post
You need both hands to handle the drone. One hand for up and down and the other hand for right and left. Driving the drone and at the same time catching it needs lots of training. In the video she drives it in windy conditions and it is especially diffecult to handle it and with one hand almost impossible for an amateur.
I found this sailing channel from a guy in Scandinavia and he solos from a mono - so a lil diff platform from Andrew. I don't know how to put the video in the post so I'll post the link, if u skip forward a minute or two it is amazing.

Old 27-12-2016, 15:45   #122
CF Adviser

Boat: Van Helleman Schooner 65ft StarGazer

Most interesting video..
I can see that we may soon have
"Drone assisted collisions", when a skipper and crew want to film their entry into a busy Anchorage and get distracted while trying to recover a low battery Drone.
Pelagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-12-2016, 17:07   #123

Boat: Seawind 1160 Lite

Quote:
Originally Posted by SV DestinyAscen View Post
I found this sailing channel from a guy in Scandinavia and he solos from a mono - so a lil diff platform from Andrew. I don't know how to put the video in the post so I'll post the link, if u skip forward a minute or two it is amazing.

amazing video, he certainly had a lot to contend with,

launching & recovery from a catamaran is a lot more simpler than the conditions in this video,

I would have probable also taken a few seconds when landing to round up into the breeze and furl the head sail prior to catching the drone,
Andrew Grace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-12-2016, 17:16   #124

Boat: Seawind 1160 Lite

Quote:
Originally Posted by SYNADINE View Post
You need both hands to handle the drone. One hand for up and down and the other hand for right and left. Driving the drone and at the same time catching it needs lots of training. In the video she drives it in windy conditions and it is especially diffecult to handle it and with one hand almost impossible for an amateur.
Sorry but I disagree with the above.

A drone can easily be flown single handed and your free hand used to catch the drone, the trick to landing safely is that you DO NOT want to use both of the 2 controller sticks, best to line up the hight first you want and then fly in using just the single stick and catch the drone,

It also helps if you are using one of the smaller controller sets that are now available like the one used in the the Mavic Pro as they can be easily grasped in 1 hand and the stick reached in the same hand for controlling.
Andrew Grace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-12-2016, 21:20   #125

Boat: 1980 Morgan 415

I know it would be a way to help justify an expensive toy but I enjoy rowing my dink. It's a bunch cheaper and I haven't had to catch it one handed yet.
Old 27-12-2016, 23:16   #126

We have come far away from the topic, namely finding a good place to anchor.

We have also come far away ffra that the noise will be at anchorage ..

Should not we return to the topic.

It is exciting to read about Drone Flying, and pluses and minuses.

But it should not be in a thread created on this topic?

I wish we still be ireíteret if I was on an appeal place and there was one who flew a drone.

I also stop my generator on a quiet night so other ankerliggere not hear the noise.

It's called having respect for the right of others to enjoy the silence
Nordboen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-12-2016, 00:58   #127
Sav

Boat: Manitou 32 Ketch

I reckon you're all talking **** because drone and camera technology has advanced so much in the last 7 days since this thread started that all of the above is totally irrelevant and completely outdated.
Sav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-12-2016, 01:00   #128
Sav

There are drones on the drawing boards with mini jet engines and multi-bifocal zoom lenses... they are due out by easter.
Old 28-12-2016, 01:04   #129
Sav

I heard that there is a Manchurian dwarf who is designing a drone that can pick up and fly your anchor to wherever you want to dump the bloody thing.
Old 28-12-2016, 01:38   #130

Lollllllll
Nordboen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-12-2016, 02:32   #131
Sav

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sav View Post
I heard that there is a Manchurian dwarf who is designing a drone that can pick up and fly your anchor to wherever you want to dump the bloody thing.
All you have to do is email him your co-ordinates with accuracy down to the metre... however, log-polar barycentric trilinear coordinates will do, if you are a closet engineer on ADHD medication.
Old 28-12-2016, 02:50   #132
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Send a message via Skype™ to weavis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Grace View Post
Sorry but I disagree with the above.

A drone can easily be flown single handed and your free hand used to catch the drone, the trick to landing safely is that you DO NOT want to use both of the 2 controller sticks, best to line up the hight first you want and then fly in using just the single stick and catch the drone,

It also helps if you are using one of the smaller controller sets that are now available like the one used in the the Mavic Pro as they can be easily grasped in 1 hand and the stick reached in the same hand for controlling.
I agree.
weavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-12-2016, 03:04   #133
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Send a message via Skype™ to weavis

A couple of years ago, I was discussing drones with others from CF and we independently were buying what was available and trying them.

In the last 3 years the technology has leapt forward and now we have some pretty reliable and amazing drones in the consumer and prosumer arena.

Launching and retrieving from a boat is entirely possible and repeatable, but only if the operator has practiced. It took me a while to work my way up the pricing structure of drones until I got one capable of handling wind and stable enough to respond immediately to my inputs and be forgiving for minor errors.

Before I move from this DJI, I will will wait 6 months because I feel the next leap in technology is coming.

As for the original premise of the OP in searching anchorages... The drone will NOT be annoying other boats simply because not many boats will be in the area and secondly, it will have to be fairly high to see colour change in the water so as to indicate depth.

Drones are here to stay so better get used to it...

weavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-12-2016, 18:03   #134

Boat: Amel 54

Drones are great for scoping out good stops, finding good anchorages, finding good diving spots and scouting for reefs. They can also be used for security checking nearby surroundings if you are at a remote place where other cruisers normally wouldn't go.
Van Der Beek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-12-2016, 18:22   #135
Retired musician & 50T master

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pisces 21

i think the thread has mostly been on topic - drones being used by cruisers to scope out areas better and faster than can be done with chart, dinghy, from the spreaders, or keel strikes. Also mentioned was security by having a high vantage point.

As technology and society advances, the noise and privacy issues will recede along with the problems of flying them. drones are barely audible unless you are within 20 feet.

One more idea for creating a security zone while in remote areas: a helium balloon carrying a GoPro, floating on 100M+ of line above your boat at anchor. add in motion sensor to the camera and you'd know someone was coming a long ways off.

fair seas