Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 30-03-2024, 16:54   #16

Re: First boat?

Quote:
Originally Posted by davefromoregon View Post
There are a lot of Catalina 30s out there. They are big enough to get you some good experience and not overwhelm you. Additionally, they will have most of the systems you will want and need on a bigger boat.
Wow. That looks a great call - not at all expensive, and as long as no major repairs needed, probably can't lose more than $10k on one of these.
cemdev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-03-2024, 12:48   #17

When my wife and me wanted to see if you would like the idea of having a boat. We started to look. Anywhere from Catalina 30 to 41ft sailboat can't remember the brand.
I came on here asking for advice none stop. At some point I came across a 27 Oday. We just loved it. We are so happy we got the only small boat we looked at.
Insurance is cheap, slip is cheap (compare to bigger ones). engine seems to run on air only, about two gallons a year lol.
We know nothing about sailing. Made some mistakes at first scared me to death.
I learned fast why everyone said get a small boat. Small boat small mistakes, big boat big mistakes. Knowing what little i know now. I will do same thing again will never look at anything over 30ft.
Easier to find a slip for a small boat= easier to sell a small boat later on.
fireant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-03-2024, 13:12   #18

Boat: a sailing boat

Do not buy a boat "to get experience". Get experience damaging other guy's boats (charters, sailing courses, crewing, etc.).

I would make an exception for an inexpensive sailing dinghy that costs next to nothing but quickly teaches you mostly anything. Say a Laser, a Mirror, or anything like.

Get "the boat" only when you know what exactly this is all about. Then you get a tool for the job. Then you already know very precisely what you want or not.

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-03-2024, 14:38   #19

Boat: Mumby 48

Cemdev: I'd say my story was similar. Sailing on and off on smaller beach cats and monos for years with a bit of time here at there on bigger stuff. I went straight to the 48' cat I wanted and skipped buying a smaller mono. Zero regrets going that way.

There is absolutely no doubt I was very green at first. There were two things I did to manage that. The first was having a very experienced cat sailing mate on board for the first few months. This saved my bacon a few times! As I built knowledge and confidence, he did less and less until he didn't need to any more. I took the same approach to single handing a year or so later. I'd try and single hand with crew there and ready just in case, until I could do it all reliably myself.

The second was that I spent the preceding 6 years reading, absorbing, analysing and understanding everything I possibly could relating to sailing, boats, systems, weather etc. So while I was short on practical experience, I had a pretty solid body of knowledge built up that let me figure out solutions to most problems. This worked well for me and the way my brain works, but might not for others.
JustMurph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2024, 08:28   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustMurph View Post
Cemdev: I'd say my story was similar. Sailing on and off on smaller beach cats and monos for years with a bit of time here at there on bigger stuff. I went straight to the 48' cat I wanted and skipped buying a smaller mono. Zero regrets going that way.

There is absolutely no doubt I was very green at first. There were two things I did to manage that. The first was having a very experienced cat sailing mate on board for the first few months. This saved my bacon a few times! As I built knowledge and confidence, he did less and less until he didn't need to any more. I took the same approach to single handing a year or so later. I'd try and single hand with crew there and ready just in case, until I could do it all reliably myself.

The second was that I spent the preceding 6 years reading, absorbing, analysing and understanding everything I possibly could relating to sailing, boats, systems, weather etc. So while I was short on practical experience, I had a pretty solid body of knowledge built up that let me figure out solutions to most problems. This worked well for me and the way my brain works, but might not for others.
That's great to hear. The more I'm thinking about it, the more I'm leaning towards this approach. A few charters then just buying the boat I want, which fortunately is still relatively small.

It sounds like we have similar backgrounds and learn similarly. I'm just starting my theoretical learning now, and will start to amp that up.
Old 01-04-2024, 08:33   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by fireant View Post
When my wife and me wanted to see if you would like the idea of having a boat. We started to look. Anywhere from Catalina 30 to 41ft sailboat can't remember the brand.
I came on here asking for advice none stop. At some point I came across a 27 Oday. We just loved it. We are so happy we got the only small boat we looked at.
Insurance is cheap, slip is cheap (compare to bigger ones). engine seems to run on air only, about two gallons a year lol.
We know nothing about sailing. Made some mistakes at first scared me to death.
I learned fast why everyone said get a small boat. Small boat small mistakes, big boat big mistakes. Knowing what little i know now. I will do same thing again will never look at anything over 30ft.
Easier to find a slip for a small boat= easier to sell a small boat later on.
This makes sense, and great that you found a boat you love. I'm guessing that you don't liveaboard? I'm less concerned about slip fees, I'll be living on it, and don't expect to be in marinas much.
Old 01-04-2024, 08:38   #22

Boat: Finnsailer 38

Quote:
But a year or two? Seems excessive. Wouldn't be weekends, I'd be living on the boat and don't think I'd be very happy on a 30' mono for very long. I'm more of a jump in and push boundaries and learn quickly kind of guy, so this makes sense for a few months.
I lived aboard and cruised on a 30-footer with my wife for two years, sailing from New England to the Bahamas and back a couple of times. Fantastic times! Those two years taught us a lot, but we're still learning. Sure, some people do jump on bigger boats and take off, but a lot of them fizzle out because you just don't know what you don't know...
Old 05-04-2024, 18:31   #23

Boat: S&S 40

Buy something you like and you can afford and maintain yourself, learn as you go..sailng isn't exactly difficult.
Simple is best..you can always add equipment..

I wouldn't bother with spending lots of money or time on a boring yacht charter or buying a 'cheap' boat and selling it after a year just to start all over again.
Icarus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2024, 19:17   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icarus View Post
Buy something you like and you can afford and maintain yourself, learn as you go..sailng isn't exactly difficult.
Simple is best..you can always add equipment..

I wouldn't bother with spending lots of money or time on a boring yacht charter or buying a 'cheap' boat and selling it after a year just to start all over again.
Thanks. This is what I'm leaning towards. Just getting the cat I want. My main concern with this route is insurance. Figure the rest will sort itself out.
Old 05-04-2024, 21:19   #25
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Benford 38 Fantail Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by cemdev View Post
Thanks. This is what I'm leaning towards. Just getting the cat I want. My main concern with this route is insurance. Figure the rest will sort itself out.
Learn how to inspect a used boat before opening your wallet.
Marine Survey 101, pre-survey inspection
Old 05-04-2024, 23:17   #26

It's always easier to step up than to crush down. People starting with boats larger than they can handle, both physically and financially, have a much greater chance of being discouraged quickly. Sure, every 16 year old just getting his permit wans his first car to he a brand new Ferrari or a Lambo but usually a used Toyota is the best choice.
Island Time O25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2024, 07:53   #27

Boat: Custom Marples 40 FC

For your purposes this may or may not be too much boat. This particular boat is set up very uncomplicated in terms of systems. And very much in the realm of possibilities for anyone with some sailing experience. Simply a forgiving high performance cruising boat.

Marples trimaran. Professionally built. 2019 launch. Like new condition.

Listed at ecys.com

A lot of info, pictures, and video posted on their site. I also put up a post in "classifieds."

Full disclosure... I am obviously the owner. And I apologize for such a blatant plug. Not normally my style. But we are highly motivated to sell this boat.

Any reasonable offer will be considered...
w32honu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2024, 10:09   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatpoker View Post
Learn how to inspect a used boat before opening your wallet.
Marine Survey 101, pre-survey inspection
Thanks. I'm at least a few months away from this point, but have already started watching some surveying videos on YouTube.
Old 06-04-2024, 10:12   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Island Time O25 View Post
It's always easier to step up than to crush down. People starting with boats larger than they can handle, both physically and financially, have a much greater chance of being discouraged quickly. Sure, every 16 year old just getting his permit wans his first car to he a brand new Ferrari or a Lambo but usually a used Toyota is the best choice.
Yeah, I've thought about this. I've had a sports car, which I traded in for a sedan within a year. It's not the same thing. Neither of the cats I'm looking at are sports cars. It's not like I'm buying an outremer or rapido or something. It's more about the quality of space at anchor. I'm really not going to enjoy a mono unless it's big. A 37ft cat seems more reasonable, easier to handle, and enjoyable than a 47ft mono for example.
Old 06-04-2024, 10:14   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by w32honu View Post
For your purposes this may or may not be too much boat. This particular boat is set up very uncomplicated in terms of systems. And very much in the realm of possibilities for anyone with some sailing experience. Simply a forgiving high performance cruising boat.

Marples trimaran. Professionally built. 2019 launch. Like new condition.

Listed at ecys.com

A lot of info, pictures, and video posted on their site. I also put up a post in "classifieds."

Full disclosure... I am obviously the owner. And I apologize for such a blatant plug. Not normally my style. But we are highly motivated to sell this boat.

Any reasonable offer will be considered...
Unfortunately I'm at the beginning of my search, and still researching. It will be 6 months at the earliest before I'm even thinking of buying, so I'm of no help to a motivated seller at this time.

Tags
boat