Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-02-2013, 08:29   #1

Boat: Currenty a 2011 26' Sailfish CC
First Cat - Meow

Hi everyone.

We're thinking about selling our center console to get back into sailing and the wife has agreed. We're planning to cruise extensively beginning sometime around 2020 so I want to get myself back in practice and start teaching my wife and kids about sailing, the life, etc before going to a larger boat and farther destinations.

I've done a lot of reading about multi-hulls but have no real practical experience with cats. I've been sailing monohulls all my life but with the family a cat seems like the most practical, comfortable, etc. That and my wife says she won't go on long trips if she has to live on an angle.

Long story short we want to eventually upgrade to a 45 or so foot cat but for the short term want something that will be a fun and enjoyable experience for all of us but also less expensive to buy, maintain, dock etc and something that we can use to cruise around the Keys and Bahamas without issue - i.e. seaworthy, shallow draft, comfortable.

From what I can tell a great first boat would be a Gemini 3200/3400/105. I'd like to not spend more than around 70k so it seems a 3200/3400 would be about right due to:
  • 18" draft
  • Good coastal cruiser
  • Good acommodations
  • 14' beam

Other cats, like a Prout Event, have deeper drafts and wider beams - which while somewhat insignificant can be all the difference in the world sailing in between the Keys or finding cheap dockage.

My real question is am I missing other good choices that fit our needs?
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.

- mark twain
vera libertas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 08:34   #2

Community Sponsor

Boat: Mahe 36, Helia 44 Evo, MY 37
Re: First Cat - Meow

Maine Cat 30 may also work for you with a 18 foot beam.

Maine Cat 30 - Maine Cat Catamarans
Cotemar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 15:11   #3
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Multihulls - cats and Tris

Maine Cat would be particularly good in Florida.
Factor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 16:26   #4
smj

Boat: TRT 1200
I also really like the Maine Cat 30 but the beam is 18' not 16'. Still that shouldn't be a deal breaker.
smj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 16:17   #5
Marine Service Provider

Gemini would be good from a brand perspective. Well known, more common and more likely to sell easily afterwards.
ausaviator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 16:55   #6
smj

Boat: TRT 1200
Quote:
Originally Posted by ausaviator View Post
Gemini would be good from a brand perspective. Well known, more common and more likely to sell easily afterwards.
Depends where your located. In the US the market is absolutely flooded with used Geminis but the Maine Cat 30's seem to hold their value.
smj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 07:24   #7

Thanks for all the replies.

The Maine Cat 30 seems like a great boat but the beam of 18' doesn't allow it to fit into a more standard slip and the prices seem to be well above 70k if and when one is on the market.

The more I search the more it seems like the Gemini 3200/3400 would be a great starter boat for cruising around the Keys and Bahamas.
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.

- mark twain
Old 03-02-2013, 07:46   #8

Boat: St Francis 50
For quality and resale value you might want to consider a PDQ LRC 32
Paul
http://www.yachtworld.com/boats/1997.../United-States
Catalysis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 14:37   #9

Boat: Key West 2020 CC

Catalyst,
I might be looking at that specific listing this week.
OutOfControl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 15:26   #10

Boat: St Francis 50

We have owned an Antares 44i for the past 4 years and are impressed with the quality.
Catalysis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 15:39   #11

Boat: Lagoon 400

If I were looking for a smaller catamaran the 32' PDQ would receive a very serious consideration.

OutOfControl - give us a report regarding the listing (we will also consider silence a report...)

Nice boat Catalysis.
pathlesschosen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 07:36   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by OutOfControl View Post
Catalyst,
I might be looking at that specific listing this week.
I'd certainly like to hear what you think as well.

- mark twain
Old 04-02-2013, 17:56   #13

Boat: Seawind 1000xl

I looked at a couple of PDQs a while back and recall some had outboards, while the one you linked to had inboards. There are pros and cons to both. I am not sure how many or how old your kids are but you may want to think about who will sleep where and access routes to the head.

I have also been on some Geminis. They seem similar to PDQs in some respects, but a close inspection might reveal differences that are important to you.

The PDQ you linked to does seem to have an attractive price point. On the other hand you may benefit from spending a little more time walking the docks and looking at different cats. I would almost bet you could find some folks in South Florida who would take you out for a day sail or for a weekend on their boat. This would give you a good idea of what you are getting into with different boats.
tomfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 16:02   #14

Boat: PDQ Capella 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catalysis View Post
For quality and resale value you might want to consider a PDQ LRC 32
Paul
http://www.yachtworld.com/boats/1997.../United-States
That is a nice price on a very good boat.
Svan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 13:26   #15

Boat: Key West 2020 CC

Earlier today my wife and I looked at the PDQ 32LRC mentioned above and a Victory 35 also listed by the same brokerage. We are just starting our search and at this stage looking at the different designs available in our price range. Our primary goal today was to get an idea of the space available and the layout.

The Victory 35 was very well laid out and seemed spacious. There were adequate storage areas and access to equipment was good. The boat appeared to be in good shape, updated, and cruise enabled. The only visable problem was the sagging headliner throughout a majority of the boat which can be seen in the listing pictures linked above.

The PDQ was on the hard undergoing a repair to the shaft and/or bearing. I uploaded a photo below. My wife liked the galley down design as well as the enormous amount of space in the settee when the table was dropped for bunkage. Our only concern was the headroom, even with the companion way hatch slid open access to the setee and/or either hull was still restricted. This particular listing, although equipped with a hard bimini, had no enclosure or dodger negating the companion way use during inclement weather.

As I stated above, we are just getting an idea of the size and lay-outs available in our price range and will narrow it down when we get closer to a decision. We both preferred the Victory overall, but these two models will probably be on the short list.
OutOfControl

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00028.jpg
Views:	188
Size:	410.3 KB
ID:	54239
OutOfControl is offline   Reply With Quote