Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-03-2021, 13:24   #1

First purchase 1998 PDQ 36

We are about to accept a counter offer of $82,000 for a 1998 PDQ 36 with the hulls extended 3’ to make the vessel 39’ in total. This will be our first boat.

She needs some love but it is in great shape overall. The fixed windows need to be reset with gaskets. One of the two Yamaha 9.9 needs to be replaced. I don’t trust any of the electronics. The bilge was half full of clean water but I have a feeling this is from it being on the hard and not sitting at the proper angle. The fridge needs work. Needs new anti fouling. The 3’ extensions at the stern are slightly cracked at the corners and accumulating water which is probably the reason for water in the bilge.

The hull and rudders are in great shape. The interior clean.

Only comes with a main and head sail.

As buyers do we have any leverage after the survey to ask the sellers for some of the major concerns to be taken care of? This boat has been available since the fall and were asking 120k. Also are we crazy to consider this boat as our first purchase? We plan on island hopping the Caribbean and spend a majority of time cruising and on anchor instead of marinas
Brassmonkeys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2021, 15:01   #2
smj

Boat: TRT 1200
Re: First purchase 1998 PDQ 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brassmonkeys View Post
We are about to accept a counter offer of $82,000 for a 1998 PDQ 36 with the hulls extended 3’ to make the vessel 39’ in total. This will be our first boat.

She needs some love but it is in great shape overall. The fixed windows need to be reset with gaskets. One of the two Yamaha 9.9 needs to be replaced. I don’t trust any of the electronics. The bilge was half full of clean water but I have a feeling this is from it being on the hard and not sitting at the proper angle. The fridge needs work. Needs new anti fouling. The 3’ extensions at the stern are slightly cracked at the corners and accumulating water which is probably the reason for water in the bilge.

As buyers do we have any leverage after the survey to ask the sellers for some of the major concerns to be taken care of? This boat has been available since the fall and were asking 120k. Also are we crazy to consider this boat as our first purchase? We plan on island hopping the Caribbean and spend a majority of time cruising and on anchor instead of marinas

I think the PDQ 36 is a well designed well built cat that is easy to handle.
I couldn’t see the owners dropping their price more as it looks to be a steal unless in terrible shape.
I believe this boat use to be named Pacifica? Or something like that. I think the stern extensions were glassed onto the original sterns and I could see no reason for the originals to be cut into, so maybe not the cause of the water in the bilge.
smj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2021, 15:06   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by smj View Post
I think the PDQ 36 is a well designed well built cat that is easy to handle.
I couldn’t see the owners dropping their price more as it looks to be a steal unless in terrible shape.
I believe this boat use to be named Pacifica? Or something like that. I think the stern extensions were glassed onto the original sterns and I could see no reason for the originals to be cut into, so maybe not the cause of the water in the bilge.
Thanks for the reply SMJ. So I agree with you that they are extensions of the original stern however they cut into the original stern to give a passageway to the existing bilge. One of the extensions had water up to the cutout which leads me to believe the rain water has been pooling in the extensions and running into the bilge. You are correct about the name.
Brassmonkeys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2021, 15:15   #4

Boat: Cruising Catamaran

Sounds like a fixer upper project. Window seals are a real PITA to repair, so too leaking hatches and stanchions, cosmetic cracks are easy to fix, structural repairs you need to know what you are doing. If one outboard is trashed there is a good chance the other one is close to end of life too.
That being said $82k is not a lot, but wouldn't be surprised if you spend another 80k on it depending how much labor time you need to pay for. Note all the time it sits in a yard will cost you a weekly rent, so if you can work on it full time great, but if just week ends , that will be a bigger cost.
PDQ are pretty good designs, we have seen quite a few throughout the Caribbean and know long term owners on one who are happy with it.

The survey should pick up all the major faults, so things like bulk head structures, any faults below the water line etc. Trying to convince the owners to drop another $20k for major works ? - no downside in trying it on unless they are particularly sensitive and kill the deal, depends if there are other buyers in the wings. Some surveyors do not go up the mast, so it may be worth getting a rig inspection. Insurers most likely will ask for rig to be less than 10 years, and in any event 10 years is a good time to replace the standing rigging.
Tin Tin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2021, 09:48   #5

I would think very carefully about putting my money into a boat that had an extension to it will be difficult to sell when you are finished with it.
Stewie12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2021, 10:17   #6

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brassmonkeys View Post

From your description run. Have you had a survey?
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2021, 10:42   #7
smj

Boat: TRT 1200

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stewie12 View Post
I would think very carefully about putting my money into a boat that had an extension to it will be difficult to sell when you are finished with it.

There have been a few PDQ 36’s that have been extended and I believe this one has sold 2-3 times since it was extended. The extended Seawind 1000’s are actually considered an upgrade over those that are original.
smj is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
pdq, purchase