Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-01-2017, 02:51   #16

Boat: Imexus 28, Malcolm Tennant 46 Timeliner cat
Re: First Sail on Spinnaker

A bridle to control tack is a good investment
YARGESOL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-2017, 03:02   #17

Boat: M/V Carquinez Coot

Looking forward to your first spinnaker "run away"?

Old 21-01-2017, 11:03   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Training Wheels View Post
Very kewl! I'm looking for a used symmetric myself to do the same thing. What ounce cloth Is it?
1 1/2 ounce.

John McEnroe
44'cruisingcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2017, 11:49   #19

Boat: Colegate 26

I learned all about spinnakers while racing sailboats on a lake. I'm confused by your video. Where is the crewman manning the whisker pole? Where is the whisker pole!? Why isn't someone staring into the sky constantly trimming and easing the sheet and another adjusting the guy? And how come the captain isn't screaming obscenities at everyone on board!?!?

NONE OF YOUR VIDEO MAKES SENSE TO ME!

Congratulations - it looks like you're having a blast.
LoudMusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2017, 11:53   #20

What's a whisker pole?

John McEnroe
Old 21-01-2017, 12:00   #21

Also called a spinnaker pole.

It's a pole that typically attaches to the mast and the windward clew of the spinnaker. It has a topping lift (halyard-esque line) and a down haul. It helps position the windward clew of the spinnaker for optimal performance when boat heading is more critical, such as in racing on a marked course.

It's certainly unnecessary but can improve overall performance. It's just more labor intensive. And apparently requires a lot of screaming. That's the only way I ever flew one.
Old 21-01-2017, 12:05   #22

Sorry I was kidding. With the wide beam of a cat, a pole isn't often used.

I have sailed with one on a mono though, and yes, pretty much as you described.

John McEnroe
Old 21-01-2017, 12:06   #23

Here's a video:

I'm in a noisy place without headphones so I don't know what they're saying, but it looks good!
Old 21-01-2017, 12:07   #24

But ... you're missing out on all the screaming. It's the best part!
Old 21-01-2017, 12:09   #25

Oh well, I'll just have to live without it...

John McEnroe
Old 21-01-2017, 12:38   #26

44C - Nice video. You must be pleased with your new purchase. Great speed. And that ocean......
Can you clarify - SPI or ASI? I might have thought the latter but hard to see the sheeted side for shape. I can just make out a dousing sock? Personally, on a cat, I think an ASI is the better option unless you are planning an ocean crossing of days and days of near DDW sailing.....
It looks like you are using the screecher's fractional halyard - not masthead?
Your new mainsail looks in fine order - no wear on the batten pockets (yet).

My ASI is 155m2 and doesn't like deep down wind (TWA 160-170) especially if there is some oblique swell unsettling the set. I have found, however, that having a reef in the main results in both being able to ease the main more effectively (reducing batten impact on shrouds) and diminishes blanketing.

I also have mine masthead rigged which allows the whole sail to fly higher and slightly clearer of the main. I can also see forward, under the sail from the lofty height of the flybridge!

I have used a three guy/tack line strategy in the past - one to each bow and one to the bow sprint, where one bow line is lazy and the tack positioned/tennsioned optimally by the windward two. Having the option to tension at the sprint is very helpful as you come up more to windward on a tight reach. Now, I only have the third (lazy) tack line if I have crew and am considering frequent gybes where repeated socking becomes a pain (although safer option). If you opt to gybe, be very careful with the lazy sheets and guys as these invariably end up trailing in the water if short handed and represent a rudder or in my case, prop risk (I know you have retractable outboards so no risk there).

Sailing down wind with the ASI in kind seas and moderate breeze is one of life's great joys!
Not as down wind as your's but here is vision of my ASI sailing south from Keswick/St.Bees Islands to Mackay.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UChP...7vQakrT1zFtDOA

Thanks again for you post and for sharing your experience.

Malcolm.
Lagoon 440 Hull #30
Brisbane, Australia.
2Wind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2017, 13:21   #27
smj

Boat: TRT 1200

Quote:
I have found, however, that having a reef in the main results in both being able to ease the main more effectively (reducing batten impact on shrouds) and diminishes blanketing. "End quote"
That's some great info, hadn't thought about that.

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
smj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2017, 14:23   #28
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Orana 2010, Hélia 2013, Catana C 47 2013, Nautitech 46 Fly 2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by smj View Post
Quote:
I have found, however, that having a reef in the main results in both being able to ease the main more effectively (reducing batten impact on shrouds) and diminishes blanketing. "End quote"
That's some great info, hadn't thought about that.

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
I was just going to say exactly the same. Main doesn't help at all after 155-160 AWA as it blanket the spi. After sailing 20.000 nm under spi, I came to the conclusion that using the spi w/out the main or deeply reefed main is the best. As you can see on the video, the spi cannot be properly trimmed as there isn't enough wind on it. Some people arue with this saying that if the wind increases, one cannot easily take down the spi. This is not true, you just unfurl the gib to blanket the spi and that's it.
I would also recommend to let the tack line a bit up on catamarans vs. the monos because of the higher roof. Flying spi is a great fun until you drop the spi in the water. Trust me one day that will happen.. In that case the first reaction of most people is to start the engines. Never do that .. (I did it and I know the consequences)
I don't know how big is yr spi but for 44 cat of 6 tons, 140-150 sqm is about the right size.
The best way to judge the efficiency of the hull on a cat is to wacht the water flow at the stern of the boat, the less turbulent being the best. See how smooth it was..I liked the boat very much.. Congratulations.

Cheers

Yeloya
yeloya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2017, 14:38   #29

Boat: Valiant 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by markpierce View Post
Looking forward to your first spinnaker "run away"?
Oh his first shrimping experience! Granted it's harder to do with an assym.

catsketcher;

I think you're nuts! An assym is so much more easily handled than a symmetrical for cruising, there's just no comparison. Yes, you can't sail as deep, but no pole, no guy, trim with one line...it's just night and day. I have an enormous sym and a pretty big assym on my boat and the sym sees extremely rare use...deeper angles in lighter air. But then again I'm single handing.

I race on both sym and asym boats. Even with a full race crew the opportunities for spectacular *#$&-ups with a sym far exceed those with a assym, IMHO. A big issue when you're cruising and your wife wants to hold a drink and not sit at the guy winch and crank every time you say "pole back!"

Assyms have a variety of cuts, as do syms, so yours may have been a reacher. Just sayin'.
Suijin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2017, 16:02   #30
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Multihulls - cats and Tris

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suijin View Post
catsketcher;

I think you're nuts! An assym is so much more easily handled than a symmetrical for cruising, there's just no comparison.
I am also a beliver in Assys. However, this
Quote:
but no pole, no guy,
doesnt apply with a symm spin on a cat, there are still no poles, no guys, a tack line from each tack to each bow and if you want to get fancy a sheet from each tack to the aft of the boat. No other crap. Any soft luff sail is light years easier on a multi
Quote:
"pole back!"
never have those words been uttered on any multi I have been on.
Factor is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
sail, spinnaker