Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-12-2015, 17:23   #31

Boat: Dufour Nautitech435/FP Venezia42/Baltec Visiona 40/Catalac 10m used as a river cruiser
Re: Fishing net as tramp-Can anyone recommend the best material?

On my first cat I had trampolines with fisher net style nets. So far it was ok to walk on or working on the mooring lines, but lying on the nets without a cushion let the rest finish that we looked like a Salami (an Italian saucisse) with the net and knots clearly marked on the skin.

After, on my next catamaran, I had a different netting without the problems mentioned above. At the end of my first circumnavigation I had to replace the trampolines due to the not UV resistant threads and material for the framing used by the sail maker from the Baltic who has fabricated the trampolines. The netting it self was still in an excellent condition.

As the repair was quoted to expensive by the responsible sail maker I did some research for replacing the trampolines and eventually found the retailer of the reliable netting (without frames) I had on my cat.

This, as I was convinced of the material: large openings are compulsory that air and water can pass through, but still comfortable to lie on. My wife likes to have her sunbath in comfort, or we like to sleep sometimes on the trampolines when anchored. We have no AC aboard and having in some parts of the world a sea temperature of 32°C/89°F is like having a powerful floor- and wall heating.

Finally I bought 5m x 2m netting from www.huck.net (search for Rasenschutz-Gittermatte, yes, lawn protection grid mat) for around 162 Euro including VAT for the 10m2 (about 108 sq/ft). The fabrication job was done by yacht-netze.de for 500 Euros, no VAT, as in the time it is was a small shop. The framing was done with black tarpauling (PVC coated nylon fabric) as used on trucks.

After five years of serious use (a 2nd circumnavigation from France to West Africa, Brazil the Falkland Islands, Cape Horn, Australia and back to Southern France) the Trampolines still look good and can be used for many years again.

So far my experiences and my opinion. Fair winds.

James now in Florida, boat winterized and lying ashore in Southern France
onavegador is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-12-2015, 19:01   #32

Boat: Woods Mira 35 Catamaran

Hey James,

thanks for sharing, any pictures of your tramps, especially the perimeter?
Is that stuff not brittle/too rigid ? Or do you have a huge amount of tension on them?

Sounds very interesting!

www.ladyrover.jimdo.com
Old 16-12-2015, 15:14   #33

Boat: Outremer 45/pdq36

Quote:
Originally Posted by travellerw View Post
My grommets ripped out as well.

Anyway good luck on your search. I would suggest you find some tramps to walk on before deciding. Although I agree about the water resistance, I really hate walking on netting.
I have the same netting on our PDQ36 and it is 100 % perfect condition. It is made in two panels with the back and sides attached to the hull with a bolt rope and extrusion .there is a peice of sail material with grommets every 4 or so inches along the front beam and it is laced up down the center line the same way as on the front beam. the sail maker that made them in such a way that the loaded part of the stitching is covered so no UV damage . We get them drum tight . It is a dream to walk on and makes the boat seem bigger
Don't write this material off I think it is an issue with construction more than the materials . When the time comes it will go on our Outremer 45. I dont have any pics but there may be some on the web. all PDQs after 2000 will use the same method
admiralslater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-12-2015, 15:19   #34

Boat: Outremer 45/pdq36

If you are interested I googled" pictures of Pdq front net" and you can see some photos there
admiralslater is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fish, fishing, men, ramp